Announcement

Collapse

Civics 101 Guidelines

Want to argue about politics? Healthcare reform? Taxes? Governments? You've come to the right place!

Try to keep it civil though. The rules still apply here.
See more
See less

Taliban Hangs Four Bodies In Public Square in Western Afghanistan

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Hypatia_Alexandria View Post

I agree the display of dead bodies is horrible but a western ally and recipient of large quantities of western military equipment carries out public executions and limb amputations, although it has put an end to the death penalty for minors.
    Wow, there is so much wrong with that statement I don't even know where to begin.
    The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post

Wow, there is so much wrong with that statement I don't even know where to begin.
      Saudi is a Western ally. It does buy a lot of western military equipment. It does carry out public executions. It has stopped executing minors [apparently].
      "It ain't necessarily so
      The things that you're liable
      To read in the Bible
      It ain't necessarily so
      ."

Sportin' Life
      Porgy & Bess, DuBose Heyward, George & Ira Gershwin

Comment

Saudi is a Western ally. It does buy a lot of western military equipment. It does carry out public executions. It has stopped executing minors [apparently].
        Ah, so a total change of subject. Why does that not surprise me?

I knew there was something snitty and snide in there, but didn't expect a total change of subject. Silly, silly me.
        The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

Originally posted by rogue06 View Post
          Another fresh helping of...

"It ain't necessarily so
          To read in the Bible
          It ain't necessarily so
          ."

Sportin' Life

Comment

I thought the left was big on viewing no culture being superior to another and how we shouldn't judge others.

In any case, a friend of mine was in Riyad when there was a public execution. He says they stopped traffic in a busy intersection, rolled out a bunch of plastic and after reading out the charges the man was convicted of, decapitated him.

It was during the same trip that his sister got an elbow spray painted by the mutaween (the Committee for the Promotion of Virtue and the Prevention of Vice, or religious police[1]), which was a warning to cover her arms or be arrested.

It was during the same trip he ran into Idi Amin at a cigar store, and he gave my friend a box of cigars because he addressed him using several of his titles.

1. the same bunch that would let a bunch of girls burn to death rather than let them exit the burning building because they weren't properly dressed.

I'm always still in trouble again

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
            "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
            "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

You first have to say something before adding "Just sayin'"

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
              "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
              "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

Originally posted by rogue06 View Post
                I thought the left was big on viewing no culture being superior to another and how we shouldn't judge others.
                Thinking in stereotypes can be unwise.

"It ain't necessarily so
                To read in the Bible
                It ain't necessarily so
                ."

Sportin' Life

Comment

Originally posted by Mountain Man View Post
                  There's nothing wrong with drinking alcohol in moderation. It's drinking to excess that the Bible forbids, specifically drunkenness.

And when you say "the Baptist got worried", who are you talking about? That quote from Matthew 11 is Jesus quoting the hypocritical criticism of his opponents. Just because the Pharisees accused Jesus of being a glutton and a drunkard doesn't mean he actually was. Nowhere in scripture do you see an example Jesus or his Apostles becoming inebriated.
                  Luke explained that the Baptist sent disciples to make such enquiries, I seem to remember.

A Muslim who devoutly obeys his scriptures and follows the example of Mohammad is no more "extreme" than a Christian who devoutly obeys the Bible and follows the example of Jesus.
                  You might make mention of that to some others on this thread. But there is wide variation of interpretation which, as in Christianity leads to different congregations.

As for what we should do about orthodox Muslim countries that strictly enforce Sharia law and kill all who won't submit, that's a good question, and I honestly don't have answer beyond what Jesus commands of us: "Love your enemies and pray for those who persecute you." At least that's how we should respond as individuals, but can it be the basis of international policy for a national government? I'm not certain.

Comment

Originally posted by Mountain Man View Post
                    There's nothing wrong with drinking alcohol in moderation. It's drinking to excess that the Bible forbids, specifically drunkenness.

And when you say "the Baptist got worried", who are you talking about? That quote from Matthew 11 is Jesus quoting the hypocritical criticism of his opponents. Just because the Pharisees accused Jesus of being a glutton and a drunkard doesn't mean he actually was. Nowhere in scripture do you see an example Jesus or his Apostles becoming inebriated.
                    Exactly. The same folks who were saying that he (john the Baptist) "hath a devil" because he didn't drink is going to believe any assessment that they gave of Jesus? Someone he knew personally?

And while he sent some of his followers to Jesus it wasn't because of what some of the Pharisees were muttering but to ask “Are You the Coming One, or do we look for another?”

This takes some world class eisegesis to twist things like eider is doing.

Comment

• Originally posted by eider View Post
                      Luke explained that the Baptist sent disciples to make such enquiries, I seem to remember.
                      John sent disciples to ask Jesus if He was the Messiah, or should they seek another. Had nothing whatsoever to do with wine.

"Are you the one to come after me or shall we wait for another?"

Comment

• Originally posted by eider View Post
                        You might want to actually read the Bible to refresh your memory, because John's disciples never said one word about Jesus drinking wine. They asked him if he was the Messiah and not what his favorite vintage was.

Originally posted by eider View Post
                        I don't know of any Muslim countries that kill other outside folks because they are not Muslim.
                        Then you are woefully unformed. Christians are routinely killed en masse in the Middle East, but don't count on the mainstream media to tell you about it.

The 50 Countries Where It’s Most Dangerous to Follow Jesus in 2021
                        Some may call me foolish, and some may call me odd
                        But I'd rather be a fool in the eyes of man
                        Than a fool in the eyes of God

From "Fools Gold" by Petra

Comment

• Originally posted by Mountain Man View Post
                          You might want to actually read the Bible to refresh your memory, because John's disciples never said one word about Jesus drinking wine. They asked him if he was the Messiah and not what his favorite vintage was.

Then you are woefully unformed. Christians are routinely killed en masse in the Middle East, but don't count on the mainstream media to tell you about it.

The 50 Countries Where It’s Most Dangerous to Follow Jesus in 2021
                          The Pew Research Center has been tracking religious persecution for awhile now and in every one of their reports they conclude that Christianity is the most persecuted religion in the world.

Comment

• Originally posted by rogue06 View Post
                            Exactly. The same folks who were saying that he (john the Baptist) "hath a devil" because he didn't drink is going to believe any assessment that they gave of Jesus? Someone he knew personally?

And while he sent some of his followers to Jesus it wasn't because of what some of the Pharisees were muttering but to ask “Are You the Coming One, or do we look for another?”

This takes some world class eisegesis to twist things like eider is doing.
                            Huh?

{9:14} Then came to him the disciples of John, saying, Why do we and the Pharisees fast oft, but thy disciples fast not?

John was worried...... and again......

Matthew {11:2} Now when John had heard in the prison the works of Christ, he sent two of his disciples, {11:3} And said unto him, Art thou he that
                            should come, or do we look for another?

John was worried....... certainly didn't seem sure about Jesus.

{11:7} And as they departed, Jesus began to say unto the multitudes concerning John, What went ye out into the wilderness to see? A reed shaken with the wind? {11:8} But what went ye out for to see? A man clothed in soft raiment?

{11:18} For John came neither eating nor drinking, and they say, He hath a devil. {11:19} The Son of man came eating and drinking, and they say, Behold a man gluttonous, and a winebibber, a friend of publicans and sinners. But wisdom is justified of her children.

'They' were comparing Jesus to John.

Anytime you need clarification, rogue.... anytime.

Comment

• Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post

John sent disciples to ask Jesus if He was the Messiah, or should they seek another. Had nothing whatsoever to do with wine.

"Are you the one to come after me or shall we wait for another?"
                              Wrong...

{9:14} Then came to him the disciples of John, saying, Why do we and the Pharisees fast oft, but thy disciples fast not?

John was worried...... and again......

Matthew {11:2} Now when John had heard in the prison the works of Christ, he sent two of his disciples, {11:3} And said unto him, Art thou he that
                              should come, or do we look for another?

John was worried....... certainly didn't seem sure about Jesus.

{11:7} And as they departed, Jesus began to say unto the multitudes concerning John, What went ye out into the wilderness to see? A reed shaken with the wind? {11:8} But what went ye out for to see? A man clothed in soft raiment?

{11:18} For John came neither eating nor drinking, and they say, He hath a devil. {11:19} The Son of man came eating and drinking, and they say, Behold a man gluttonous, and a winebibber, a friend of publicans and sinners. But wisdom is justified of her children.

'They' were comparing Jesus to John.

Comment

• Originally posted by rogue06 View Post
                                The Pew Research Center has been tracking religious persecution for awhile now and in every one of their reports they conclude that Christianity is the most persecuted religion in the world.
                                https://www.pewforum.org/2017/04/11/...ictions-02-00/

Looks like Jews and Hindus, followed by Muslims, all are more likely than Christianity to have harassment and persecution where they live.

Comment