Announcement

Collapse

Civics 101 Guidelines

Want to argue about politics? Healthcare reform? Taxes? Governments? You've come to the right place!

Try to keep it civil though. The rules still apply here.
See more
See less

The GOP and the man-god Trump.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by rogue06 View Post
    Back in those times things like slavery was legal. As were things like making young children work in a factory for 12-16 hours a day was legal. Using torture to extract a confession. Animal cruelty. All sorts of things that society now finds repulsive and realized were inherently wrong as time went on.

Are you sure that you really want to base your case on abortion largely being not covered by the law in various areas prior to the beginning of the 19th cent.?
    Originally posted by firstfloor View Post
    I have never made a case for abortion. My position is that it is a private matter between a woman and her physician.
    All of the things I listed except torture were considered "private matters" as well.

I'm always still in trouble again

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
    "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
    "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

[/indent]
      All of the things I listed except torture were considered "private matters" as well.
      And, society has not decided that abortion is wrong. Only the pro-birth zealots think that. When the right to abortion goes, I predict that there will be a massive reaction. Texas, so far, has only succeeded in the abortion tours and export business. The demand for abortion is as strong as ever.

Comment

• Originally posted by firstfloor View Post

And, society has not decided that abortion is wrong. Only the pro-birth zealots think that. When the right to abortion goes, I predict that there will be a massive reaction. Texas, so far, has only succeeded in the abortion tours and export business. The demand for abortion is as strong as ever.
        There really is no such thing as a pro-birth zealot. The primary thing that drives anti-abortion sentiment is a deep respect for the human life forming in the mother coupled with the belief its humanity and existence as a separate individual begins at conception.

There is only one moral response to those beliefs: fight for the right of that new human life to survive.

On the other end is a massive devaluation of that life where the mother's comfort to any degree is more important than that human life forming in her, and its value is so trivial up to its birth it can be discarded like an old cloth or chair one has grown tired of

There is no doubt which side is taking a moral approach to the situation. Valuing comfort or ease over human life is always the low road. Valuing my wants in life over another's very life is always a low road.

But there are grey areas in between these two extremes that i believe retain a high valuation for that forming human life and the basic rights of the mother. But neither side is much willing to consider there are valid elements to be considered from the other side
        Last edited by oxmixmudd; 10-20-2021, 06:13 PM.
        My brethren, do not hold your faith in our glorious Lord Jesus Christ with an attitude of personal favoritism. James 2:1

If anyone thinks himself to be religious, and yet does not  bridle his tongue but deceives his own heart, this man’s religion is worthless James 1:26

This you know, my beloved brethren. But everyone must be quick to hear, slow to speak and slow to anger; James 1:19

Comment

I have never made a case for abortion. My position is that it is a private matter between a woman and her physician.
          Because the unborn child can't contact or afford a physician?
          The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

• Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post

Because the unborn child can't contact or afford a physician?
            Now that they have achieved a degree of autonomy, American women will not like that their status regarding reproductive rights is to be reduced again to that of a farm animal.

Comment

Now that they have achieved a degree of autonomy, American women will not like that their status regarding reproductive rights is to be reduced again to that of a farm animal.
              Because they have absolutely no control over getting pregnant or not. I mean, they could be driving down the road and suddenly without warning... BOOM! They're pregnant.

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
              "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
              "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

Because they have absolutely no control over getting pregnant or not. I mean, they could be driving down the road and suddenly without warning... BOOM! They're pregnant.
                Yes, as the MAN says, control yourself woman!
                Let me just check my watch here, yup 2021. I don’t mean twenty past eight either.

Comment

• Here’s an interesting interview:
                  Discussions about Donald Trump's voter base and what motivated them is a beloved topic among pundits. But as time goes on, we're getting more and more data that sheds light on what some of those motivations are. A recent study published in the American Political Science Review found that animus towards Democratic-linked minority groups in 2011, like African Americans and Muslims, is a strong predictor of Trump support in later years. The study is called "Activating Animus: The Uniquely Social Roots of Trump Support," and Lilliana Mason is one of its co-authors. She's a political scientist at Johns Hopkins University, and she's here to talk more about these findings.
                  https://www.npr.org/2021/07/11/10151...=1634754081909

Comment

• Originally posted by oxmixmudd View Post

No actually I'm not. This is the correct translation. Some modern translators have adjusted how they translate the text to be more palatable to modern conservative evangelical sensibilities, but the passage addresses what happens when the blow causes the child to miscarry. To miscarry in 1200bc as the consequence of a blow is for the child to be dead barring some 2 or 3 sigma anomally.. The issue then is what was the consequence to the mother. If none, then a fine. Otherwise rex talionis applies.

Modern sensibities in the church or so entrenched modern translators and commentators must reason their way out of the clear implication here. And that implication is born out over 3000 years of Jewish tradition and teaching where the unborn child is not considered a living soul until its first breath is taken.

The church fathers understood the implications and reasoned against abortion by other means than impuning the authority and meaning of the text here or trying to change it so its clear meaning could be obscured.
                    The only one trying to shoehorn "modern sensibilities" into that passage is you (and much to your obvious consternation, those "modern sensibilities" happen to be the same ones used by pro-abortionists to justify murdering the unborn). It is an irrefutable fact that a plain, literal reading of Exodus 21 in the original Hebrew flatly contradicts every single one of your assertions, which is why you are forced to appeal to supposed Jewish tradition instead of scripture itself. When it comes to theological disagreements, those who can confidently point to the Bible will always win out over those who have to point outside of it.
                    Some may call me foolish, and some may call me odd
                    But I'd rather be a fool in the eyes of man
                    Than a fool in the eyes of God

From "Fools Gold" by Petra

Comment

Since we're sharing stories, this one is quite interesting and informative:

Source: The world awaits Biden test results

In July, President(ish) Joe Biden addressed a sparsely-attended, little-viewed CNN event, saying 1) you won’t get COVID if you get the vaccine, 2) he will ban both rifles and handguns, and, then, 3) instructed a struggling small restauranteur to increase wages for employees who would rather accept federal COVID-related supplemental unemployment dollars than work.

In order: False, betcha can’t, and … really?

Last year, Joe called a voter “full of (feces)” for saying he’d confiscate guns – precisely what Biden promised last month.

Also in July, Biden accused Big Tech of “killing people,” presumably because, in his (or someone’s) estimation, techies hadn’t done enough to suppress and de-platform people and websites carrying COVID-19 “misinformation” – a/k/a, facts, including expert opinions, disputing the government’s confusing, often-contradictory, non-science-based “official” narrative – after Big Tech had already spent more than a year censoring anyone who dared mention the pandemic’s Chinese origin.

Constitutional law expert Jonathan Turley wrote: “The White House recently admitted that it was flagging ‘misinformation’ for censorship by companies like Facebook. Moreover, White House press secretary Jen Psaki has called for people to be banned from all social media if any one company bans them.

“Biden is accusing these companies of actually killing people for refusing even more extensive censorship of speech. The statement equates free speech with death itself. […] Rather than seek to convince the skeptical, Biden wants to silence them and use these companies to control what is read and discussed about the pandemic. What is chilling is the degree to which reporters and academics have supported the massive censorship system in the United States. However, that system is clearly not…’robust enough’ for Biden who wants these companies to carry out a more complete censorship of opposing views.”

But, speech is only protected by the U.S. Constitution, so no big deal, right?

Joe, himself, is carefully scripted. Handlers limit his exposure even to subservient media already heavily invested in protecting Biden’s image. He’s given cheat sheets and lists of friendly reporters to call on during rare press appearances.

But, despite being programmed and teleprompter-cued, Biden’s speech is full of verbal tics, vacuous pauses, often slurred, mumbled, and impenetrable.

On Memorial Day, Biden read, “You know, America’s been forged in the basil and the fires of war.” CNN carried the clip.

Extemporaneously, Joe often speaks his own untranslatable language. Its “glossary” includes, “nexnelsrent,” “badehkefkare,” “mybusswenwet,” and “truinderdashdubbadapreshure.” During the campaign, Joe promised, “…an effective strategy to mobilize trunalimunumaprzure.”

All were immortalized on video.

America’s preeminence in the global economy and peacekeeping makes our president the most powerful, most influential, most consequential person on the planet. The free world’s enemies constantly probe for American weaknesses to exploit.

If Joe Biden is running on empty, America must act. The presidency is no job for a senescent fossil whose debilities already limit him to the lightest schedule of any modern executive.

The United States cannot have a spent president, especially now.

Joe Biden’s mental state is a legitimate medical concern, a matter of national security, so it’s inconceivable that White House physicians have not administered cognitive tests. Their failure to watch for, test and diagnose such conditions in any president would constitute medical malpractice.

In fact, to deflate press speculations about his mental acuity, President Donald Trump voluntarily took a cognitive test, passed with flying colors and publicly released the results. The media called them “unconvincing.”

But, why hasn’t Joe Biden done even that much? And why haven’t corporate media uncovered the facts? Don’t “journalistic standards” include investigating and reporting important news anymore?

Apparently not. NY Times reporter Adam Nagourney: “It’s hard to parody Biden. He’s not polarizing, and people tend to find him likable. His ticks aren’t that interesting.”

But, corporate media’s indifference notwithstanding, people are rightfully worried.

Biden must be tested. And, if cognitive testing has been done, the results must be released.

Whatever the diagnosis, though, since Biden’s virtually invisible, equally ineffectual next-in-line has already botched her “Border Czar” assignment, world troublemakers think they stand to gain either way.

Some already have.

Mr. Biden’s first “geopolitical leadership” test results came back negative: Joe’s craven, humiliating capitulation to Afghan savages – our Kabul embassy was sovereign U.S. territory – will embolden the free world’s always-attentive enemies.

Afghanistan is just the beginning, so stay tuned.

Unlike nature, ambitious aggressors and psychopaths love vacuums, especially vacuums like the Biden/Harris administration.

Source

© Copyright Original Source

Comment

• The (ish) gives the game away. Straight bat and fact checked reporting from now on, if you please.

Comment

Interesting that anybody should have to use the term "reproductive rights" in an attempt to defend the killing of a human life. It should be called their "right to kill".

The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

The (ish) gives the game away. Straight bat and fact checked reporting from now on, if you please.
                            You first. Lead by example.

Comment

• Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post

Interesting that anybody should have to use the term "reproductive rights" in an attempt to defend the killing of a human life. It should be called their "right to kill".
                              1984's Newspeak is alive and well.

Comment

1984's Newspeak is alive and well.
                                Yeah, "planned parenthood". What a lie.

Comment