Announcement

Collapse

Civics 101 Guidelines

Want to argue about politics? Healthcare reform? Taxes? Governments? You've come to the right place!

Try to keep it civil though. The rules still apply here.
See more
See less

The Blue Wall of Silence Is Starting to Crack

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cow Poke
    replied
    Originally posted by Hypatia_Alexandria View Post

So which of your previous statements would you like to see put into practise?

Post #288 where your reply included the following:

Post # 363

Post # 377 where your comment included this statement:
    Yes!

Leave a comment:

• Hypatia_Alexandria
    replied
    Originally posted by Sparko View Post

Please stop the constractulation. That was CP who used an 'archaic' meaning, not I.
    You quoted my words. Did you not understand them?

Originally posted by rogue06 View Post
    That archaic usage is not uncommon around these parts. If you didn't keep nit-picking over verbification that nobody but you seems to have any trouble with (or more likely that you see as a gotcha opportunity), conversations would be increasingly fruitful.
    What archaic usage of words did I employ in my reply that Sparko quoted?

Leave a comment:

• Hypatia_Alexandria
    replied
    Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post

Sure. Unions are bad for police departments.
    So which of your previous statements would you like to see put into practise?

Post #288 where your reply included the following:
    Get rid of the unions
    Post # 363
    My position is that they should be curtailed, reined in. I'm not proposing they be totally abolished.
    Post # 377 where your comment included this statement:
    Get rid of the PROBLEM unions

Leave a comment:

• Hypatia_Alexandria
    replied

I believe you have mistaken Sparko for me.
    Sparko quoted my reply to you and I replied to Sparko. It's quite simple to follow the timeline of the posts.

Leave a comment:

• rogue06
    replied

The gastrification by one particular interlocutioner alone is gawfalling enough to cause a preacher to hyperverbolize profanitatively!

But I won't. I WON'T!!! The H-E-Double-HockeySticks I won't!!!!!

Nobody could play "John Wayne" like John Wayne.

Leave a comment:

• Cow Poke
    replied
    Originally posted by rogue06 View Post
    This thread would be a hundred posts long at best if it weren't for all the cavilling intended to induce pettifoggery
    The gastrification by one particular interlocutioner alone is gawfalling enough to cause a preacher to hyperverbolize profanitatively!

But I won't. I WON'T!!! The H-E-Double-HockeySticks I won't!!!!!

Leave a comment:

• rogue06
    replied

Clear enough? Pretty much what I've been saying throughout this entire thread.
    This thread would be a hundred posts long at best if it weren't for all the cavilling intended to induce pettifoggery

Leave a comment:

• Cow Poke
    replied
    So, review...

Public Sector Unions always pit the interests of the dues-paying members against the communities they serve or protect.
    A Police Union would be a public sector union.
    The BIGGER the Union is, the harder it is to "keep clean", and the more prone to corruption it is.
    Unions are all about two things --- power and money.

The biggest problems we've seen with policing in the US come from departments with large police unions.
    One of the biggest reasons to have a public sector union is "collective bargaining".
    The union will work it's hardest to get the most money and benefits for the dues-paying members -- at the expense of the communities those dues-paying members serve.

In the case of the biggest police and fire unions, they have managed to force the municipalities they serve into exorbitant retirement and benefit packages.
    The expense of the pension programs alone for retired members, in many cases, far surpasses the expense of active duty members, and is in ADDITION to that.

It would be akin to putting the mafia in charge of the Department of Justice.

Leave a comment:

• Gondwanaland
    replied

You shouted that part, didn't you?

Leave a comment:

• Cow Poke
    replied
    Originally posted by Gondwanaland View Post
    ...(note: I am not shouting, and typed with the softest fingertip taps on my phone keyboard)...
    You shouted that part, didn't you?

Leave a comment:

• Cow Poke
    replied

I'll go even further: Unions are bad for police departments, as well as the communities those police departments police and the people that live in those communities.
    EGGzackly --- and I'll go even furthererer.... Unions are really bad for public education, as they pit the interest of teachers against the students and communities.

Leave a comment:

• Gondwanaland
    replied

Clear enough? Pretty much what I've been saying throughout this entire thread.
    I'll go even further: Unions are bad for police departments, as well as the communities those police departments police and the people that live in those communities.

Things police unions are ACTUALLY (note: I am not shouting, and typed with the softest fingertip taps on my phone keyboard) good for: organized crime, bad cops, union leaders' wallets, corrupt politicians who get donations from said unions.
    Last edited by Gondwanaland; 05-03-2021, 02:33 PM.

Leave a comment:

• Cow Poke
    replied
    So, if somebody is proposing a solution to a problem, and it has been pointed out how wrought with problems that "solution" is, one should be able to explain why that "solution" is appropriate.

There are TONS* of reasons why it is not.

*to the pedantic, that's hyperbole, and was typed very quietly - hence, no shouting.

Leave a comment:

• Cow Poke
    replied
    So, if somebody is proposing a solution to a problem, and it has been pointed out how wrought with problems that "solution" is, one should be able to explain why that "solution" is appropriate.

There are TONS of reasons why it is not.

Leave a comment:

• Cow Poke
    replied
    You..... you do realize that many non-police unions with the organized crime influences, etc., are.... national unions, right? Or even international ones that cover the continent...... right? Like...?????

What do you think making it a national union here for police will do, other than give an even easier network for organized crime to get its tendrils into?????
    It's worse than that --- the Teamsters Union represents many Police Departments, and they are both national AND under the watchful eye of the Department of Justice for fraud, criminal activity and racketeering.

Creating a national police union is by far one of the dumbest ideas I have seen proposed on this board.

Leave a comment: