Announcement

Collapse

Civics 101 Guidelines

Want to argue about politics? Healthcare reform? Taxes? Governments? You've come to the right place!

Try to keep it civil though. The rules still apply here.
See more
See less

Israel Rescues Hostages Despite Biden Insistence They Leave Gaza

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Israel Rescues Hostages Despite Biden Insistence They Leave Gaza

Israel Rescues Hostages Despite Biden Insistence They Leave Gaza

Yeah, yeah, yeah, some whiney little liberal is gonna be triggered cause this comes from Red State....
    (Video included at the linked article)

IDF soldiers.jpg

In some of the biggest news to come out of the war between Israel and Hamas in months, four hostages were rescued from Nuseirat, a "refugee camp" in the middle of the Gaza Strip.

The operation was conducted jointly with the IDF, the ISA (Israel's intelligence agency), and Israeli police forces. The rescued hostages were three men and one woman, all taken during the Nova Music Festival on October 7th. Their names are as follows: Noa Argamani, Almog Meir Jan, Andrey Kozlov, and Shlomi Ziv.

Here's the emotional scene that played out when Noa Argamani was reunited with her father after spending 250 days in captivity.
    The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

The title seems to imply that the massacre of hundreds or tens of thousands of Palestinians is justified by the rescue of four hostages. Do you share that sentiment? Is this a preferable outcome compared to a ceasefire agreement to release 30 hostages?

-Sam
    "I wonder about the trees. / Why do we wish to bear / Forever the noise of these / More than another noise / Robert Frost, "The Sound of Trees"

Comment

Originally posted by Sam View Post
      The title seems to imply that the massacre of hundreds or tens of thousands of Palestinians is justified by the rescue of four hostages.
      On the other hand, if the terrorists had not taken hostages in the first place - OR returned them sooner - perhaps so many of their own people would not have been victims of war.

I'm rejoicing that they were found and are still alive!
      The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

The title seems to imply that the massacre of hundreds or tens of thousands of Palestinians is justified by the rescue of four hostages. Do you share that sentiment? Is this a preferable outcome compared to a ceasefire agreement to release 30 hostages?

-Sam
        For Hamas, any number of dead Palestinians is justified.
        P1) If , then I win.

P2)

C) I win.

Comment

Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post

On the other hand, if the terrorists had not taken hostages in the first place - OR returned them sooner - perhaps so many of their own people would not have been victims of war.

Sure. And if Israeli military hadn't been killing Palestinian civilians for years and decades or if Netanyahu had agreed to a ceasefire in December, more Israelis would not have died, been taken hostage, or still be held as hostages/POWs.

The title sets up an "I told you so" justification that because IDF stayed in Gaza, hostages were rescued. But all that does is open up other counterfactuals and hypotheticals, leaving us to ask if this is the best Israel can be doing for Israeli civilians and Palestinian civilians ... assuming, of course, that the article's author cares anything at all about the latter.

-Sam
          "I wonder about the trees. / Why do we wish to bear / Forever the noise of these / More than another noise / Robert Frost, "The Sound of Trees"

Comment

Sure. And if Israeli military hadn't been killing Palestinian civilians for years and decades or if Netanyahu had agreed to a ceasefire in December, more Israelis would not have died, been taken hostage, or still be held as hostages/POWs.

The title sets up an "I told you so" justification that because IDF stayed in Gaza, hostages were rescued. But all that does is open up other counterfactuals and hypotheticals, leaving us to ask if this is the best Israel can be doing for Israeli civilians and Palestinian civilians ... assuming, of course, that the article's author cares anything at all about the latter.

-Sam
            Cool.

Comment

Sure. And if Israeli military hadn't been killing Palestinian civilians for years and decades or if Netanyahu had agreed to a ceasefire in December, more Israelis would not have died, been taken hostage, or still be held as hostages/POWs.....
              Sounds like you're trying to justify the horrendous attack on Israel by the terrorists who knew full well that there would be hell to pay.

Comment

Sounds like you're trying to justify the horrendous attack on Israel by the terrorists who knew full well that there would be hell to pay.
                I'm appealing to the exact same counterfactual appeal that you are in this post:

So you're arguing that you sound like you're trying to justify the massacre of tens of thousands of innocent Palestinians by IDF on the actions of Hamas militants. Now, I don't think you intend to imply that sort of justification, given your past statements and I know that my past statements don't justify the adverse inference you're taking.

-Sam

Comment

-Sam
                  If you're suggesting that 30 hostages is more than 4, I need to remind you arithmetic has a well-known liberal bias.

Comment

So you're arguing that you sound like
                    I'm arguing that I sound like?

you're trying to justify the massacre of tens of thousands of innocent Palestinians by IDF on the actions of Hamas militants.
                    Nope.

Now, I don't think you intend to imply that sort of justification, given your past statements and I know that my past statements don't justify the adverse inference you're taking.

-Sam
                    Cool. I don't like war, Sam. Period. This current round was started by Hamas --- and it's inconceivable that they thought Israel would just sit there and take it.

Comment

I'm arguing that I sound like?

Nope.

Cool. I don't like war, Sam. Period. This current round was started by Hamas --- and it's inconceivable that they thought Israel would just sit there and take it.
                      Let's ask it this way: if Hamas had just infiltrated an Israeli city to liberate four illegally detained Palestinian civilians, killing a hundred Israeli civilians in the process, what would be the appropriate reaction? Rejoicing that the illegally-detained Palestinians were returned, regardless of "collateral damage"?

-Sam

Comment

-Sam
                        Just what the world needs, another apologist for terrorism.
                        Some may call me foolish, and some may call me odd
                        But I'd rather be a fool in the eyes of man
                        Than a fool in the eyes of God

From "Fools Gold" by Petra

Comment

Let's ask it this way: if Hamas had just infiltrated an Israeli city to liberate four illegally detained Palestinian civilians, killing a hundred Israeli civilians in the process, what would be the appropriate reaction? Rejoicing that the illegally-detained Palestinians were returned, regardless of "collateral damage"?

-Sam
                          Palestinians celebrate deadly terror shooting in Jerusalem with fireworks, sweets

And that was over only 7 deaths.
                          P1) If , then I win.

P2)

C) I win.

Comment

-Sam
                            Yes, let's frame a hypothetical question that completely ignores the atrocities that Hamas has perpetrated against Israel.

As you might say, you have shown yourself to be an unserious debater.
                            Some may call me foolish, and some may call me odd
                            But I'd rather be a fool in the eyes of man
                            Than a fool in the eyes of God

From "Fools Gold" by Petra

Comment

Originally posted by Mountain Man View Post

Yes, let's frame a hypothetical question that completely ignores the atrocities that Hamas has perpetrated against Israel.

As you might say, you have shown yourself to be an unserious debater.
                              Every atrocity committed by Hamas against Israeli civilians can be countered with an atrocity committed by IDF against Palestinian civilians. So what do you do then? Keep going back in time until you find the first rock thrown and the first innocent skull bashed?

Ironic that calling attention to the fact that these hostages' freedom came at the cost of a great many Palestinian lives gets reframed as "ignoring" pertinent data.

-Sam

Comment