Announcement

Collapse

Civics 101 Guidelines

Want to argue about politics? Healthcare reform? Taxes? Governments? You've come to the right place!

Try to keep it civil though. The rules still apply here.
See more
See less

The Blue Wall of Silence Is Starting to Crack

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cow Poke
    replied
    Originally posted by Sparko View Post

OK sure, but what about Police Unions?

Yes

Leave a comment:

• Cow Poke
    replied
    Originally posted by Hypatia_Alexandria View Post

Which words in the quote you cited and given [again] below are too difficult for you to understand?

You are the one who introduced an archaic meaning for a word. I just gave you another word that also has an archaic meaning in order to balance things out.

And I agree with most of those points made by Egan and yourself, with reservations as to power being handed to command and/or local representatives/politicians without any independent oversight.

I would not curtail the unions but I would prefer to see a national union established for all police officers, rather than, as seems to be the present case, a rather piece-meal collection of local groups most of which have no affiliation with any larger organisation.
    I believe you have mistaken Sparko for me.

Leave a comment:

• Cow Poke
    replied
    Is that an appeal for sympathy?

You had no cause to request me to "dial down the tone" merely because I politely thanked rogue06 for his comments.

You need to stop using the tactic of do as I say not as I do. It gives the impression you are a hypocrite.
    H_A Derail Logo.png

Leave a comment:

• Sparko
    replied
    Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post

Sure. Unions are bad for police departments.

Clear enough? Pretty much what I've been saying throughout this entire thread.
    OK sure, but what about Police Unions?

Leave a comment:

• Cow Poke
    replied
    Can you clarify your position?
    Sure. Unions are bad for police departments.

Clear enough? Pretty much what I've been saying throughout this entire thread.

Leave a comment:

• rogue06
    replied

I hear ye! I reckon some of them thar furriners seem to be gettin' a might too big fer their britches, tryin' to tell us how to speak. They'n might needs to study up on our lingo.
    True dat.

Leave a comment:

• Sparko
    replied
    Originally posted by rogue06 View Post
    Ain't no use in throwing out a perfectly good word that ain't done nobody no harm.
    I hear ye! I reckon some of them thar furriners seem to be gettin' a might too big fer their britches, tryin' to tell us how to speak. They'n might needs to study up on our lingo.

Leave a comment:

• rogue06
    replied

I reckon! Americans tend to do that. Especially southerners. Like using "yonder" to mean "over there" - I read that a lot of the American southern dialect vocabulary came straight from Ye Olde Elizabethan Early Modern English.
    Ain't no use in throwing out a perfectly good word that ain't done nobody no harm.

Leave a comment:

• Gondwanaland
    replied
    [SIZE=14px][FONT=Calibri] A national union to which all police officers had the right to join would prevent these various unions operating [even though of those present organisations have members across the nation]
    You..... you do realize that many non-police unions with the organized crime influences, etc., are.... national unions, right? Or even international ones that cover the continent...... right? Like...?????

What do you think making it a national union here for police will do, other than give an even easier network for organized crime to get its tendrils into?????

Leave a comment:

• Sparko
    replied
    Originally posted by rogue06 View Post
    That archaic usage is not uncommon around these parts. If you didn't keep nit-picking over verbification that nobody but you seems to have any trouble with (or more likely that you see as a gotcha opportunity), conversations would be increasingly fruitful.
    I reckon! Americans tend to do that. Especially southerners. Like using "yonder" to mean "over there" - I read that a lot of the American southern dialect vocabulary came straight from Ye Olde Elizabethan Early Modern English.
    Last edited by Sparko; 05-03-2021, 12:56 PM.

Leave a comment:

• rogue06
    replied

Which words in the quote you cited and given [again] below are too difficult for you to understand?

You are the one who introduced an archaic meaning for a word. I just gave you another word that also has an archaic meaning in order to balance things out.

And I agree with most of those points made by Egan and yourself, with reservations as to power being handed to command and/or local representatives/politicians without any independent oversight.

I would not curtail the unions but I would prefer to see a national union established for all police officers, rather than, as seems to be the present case, a rather piece-meal collection of local groups most of which have no affiliation with any larger organisation.
    That archaic usage is not uncommon around these parts. If you didn't keep nit-picking over verbification that nobody but you seems to have any trouble with (or more likely that you see as a gotcha opportunity), conversations would be increasingly fruitful.

Leave a comment:

• Sparko
    replied

Please stop the constractulation. That was CP who used an 'archaic' meaning, not I.

Leave a comment:

• Hypatia_Alexandria
    replied

We could actually have decent conversations if you didn't constantly vultrate and peniopate your ousiclectic vocabulary.

Leave a comment:

• Sparko
    replied

We could actually have decent conversations if you didn't constantly vultrate and peniopate your ousiclectic vocabulary.

Leave a comment:

• Hypatia_Alexandria
    replied

Can you clarify your position?

Post # 288

Get rid of the unions - MUCH easier to deal with corruption, as your OP explains.

Post # 363
    My position is that they should be curtailed, reined in. I'm not proposing they be totally abolished.

And now Post # 377

Get rid of the PROBLEM unions, which pretty much is every one in big city police departments.

Which are you going for?
    Last edited by Hypatia_Alexandria; 05-03-2021, 10:39 AM.

Leave a comment: