Announcement

Collapse

Civics 101 Guidelines

Want to argue about politics? Healthcare reform? Taxes? Governments? You've come to the right place!

Try to keep it civil though. The rules still apply here.
See more
See less

Texans are Now Free to Move About the Republic

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by kccd View Post

No. The narrative is that we are all in this together, and we will not lick it unless we all follow medical advice and do the simple things they recommend. Everyone suffers if a substantial segment of the population thinks this is a joke.
    This reminds me of Biden lecturing us on how important it is to wear a mask, then walking away from the podium without his, looking around a bit confused, then having to go back to the podium to get his mask.

And you wonder why people see much of this as a joke.
    The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

• Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post

And I'm sure it makes you feel good to keep using their deaths as fodder for your debate.

I just wish you were an honest debater instead of a shill for the loony left.
      Why is it somehow wrong to point out that >500,000 Americans have died in this pandemic, in the context of a discussion in which people are mocking the advice from medical experts that mask wearing is critical to control of this thing?

Why is presenting the fact that so many people have died dishonest?

Why does presenting facts make me a shill?

Tell me what I said that makes me loony - I have been advocating for masking, which is what medical experts recommend. Why is that loony?

Who should I be listening to instead of medical experts? Should I be pretending that this is no big deal and just post pictures of cars in trees?

Comment

Why is it somehow wrong to point out that >500,000 Americans have died in this pandemic,
        Well, I never said it was wrong, and it makes you feel good, apparently, but I simply don't accept that number.

in the context of a discussion in which people are mocking the advice from medical experts that mask wearing is critical to control of this thing?

Why does presenting facts make me a shill?

Tell me what I said that makes me loony - I have been advocating for masking, which is what medical experts recommend. Why is that loony?

Who should I be listening to instead of medical experts? Should I be pretending that this is no big deal and just post pictures of cars in trees?
        We're at that point, I believe, where you're just repeating the same things over and over, and I remain unconvinced, so....

You TOTALLY misrepresented the Texas Governor's Executive Order, either by total ignorance or dishonesty. I prefer to consider it ignorance on your part.

He is still encouraging people to wear masks, but essentially removing the penalty for not doing so.
        He is also leaving it entirely up to local businesses and entities to decide for themselves.

Can you at least acknowledge that is what this thread is about, not inaccurate portrayal of what he said?

The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

I'm not letting you get away with this little fib.....

I never called you dishonest for that - it's your incredibly intellectually dishonest way of assigning views to us that we do not hold, and then arguing against those.
          THAT is what makes you look foolish or dishonest or stupid, and I believe I have allowed that I really don't think you're stupid.

Comment

Yes, because I'm an adult, and I can decide this for myself.

So, I know you're not stupid - I honestly don't believe you are -- but you sure can be dense.
            Traffic lights are a part of the codified ordinances, to which we agree when we get a drivers license.

And you seem fine living like a little lemming hermit.

And, ONCE AGAIN, I wear a mask when I feel there are others who may be in jeopardy from me - I have no problem with that at all - it's a personal choice.

Partly because the loony left has weaponized this into a control tactic to restrict the freedoms of citizens. They have made it quite political -- and many of the high ranking Democrats are absolute hypocrites, mandating others to wear masks, but they can have birthday parties and social gatherings without masks. They're like the Pharisees of the Bible - mandating rules for others to follow, but they don't follow them themselves.
            While you have made a personal choice to wear a mask, the problem is that many other people refuse to do this, and many venues don't care if people don't wear masks.

We just saw at CPAC that attendees were told that the venue requires masking, and they booed and refused to wear masks.

This is a serious disease that keeps spreading and mutating. We need to stop it. And if people won't do this voluntarily, and clearly a substantial number won't, then mandates are necessary.
            It was not enough to ask people to stop smoking in public places, we had to mandate this.

When mandates are lifted, the mask averse will go anywhere and everywhere without masks, and not give a hoot about what local businesses ask of patrons. This endangers all of us.

It is irrelevant if certain Dems have engaged in dangerous behavior during this pandemic. No one is holding them up as role models - quite the opposite.

I think it is likely that places that lifted mask mandates will see a surge in cases. This has happened at other times and in other places when such mandates have been lifted, so this prediction is not a stretch. I hope you don't live in such a place.

Comment

The issue is about public safety mandates by the govt, and mask wearing falls into this category as does wearing seatbelts and stopping at red lights.
              And if no one is complaining when businesses demand shoes and shirts, why complain when they demand masks.

Why is wearing a mask so onerous? I do not get this.
              Once again, ad infinitum ad nauseum, seat belts and red lights are LAWS. Wearing masks is not, it is a public health order, which is NOT A LAW.

I don't see anybody complaining when a business demands masks. But people have a choice to enter that business or not, do you agree? And if a person decides not to enter a business that demands masks, then that is his right and the owner of the business cannot force that person to put on a mask in order to make him come in to the store.

Perhaps a simple answer to your most basic question, about why it is so onerous to wear masks, is, as CP said, the so-called science behind it changes so often that nobody knows what they are doing, and the scientists only look foolish.

I have a very dear friend who's daughter is a microbiologist, working in the discipline currently throughout the year. She has come to the conclusion that wearing a mask no more stops the covid virus than a chain link fence will stop a shotgun blast.

Now, I choose to believe someone I know personally than a zillion "scientists" who can't agree on what the science says on any given day. I will also have you know that I wear a mask when I am out in public, in spite of being convinced that it is not particularly effective, because I have to buy groceries and other items in stores that in my province have bought into the hype. That is the ONLY reason I wear a mask.

Securely anchored to the Rock amid every storm of trial, testing or tribulation.

Comment

I followed the medical advice EGGzackly -- mask up for 2 weeks so we can flatten the curve. Done. Or do you mean the constantly changing and conflicting medical advice? From whom? and which time?

Then maybe your hypocrite overlords should take this seriously and subject themselves to the same rules they try to foist on others.
                This was a brand new disease and new virus, so the medical establishment had some work to do to formulate recommendations.
                Science changes its conclusions and recommendations as data becomes available and that is what happened here.

Overlords? I would rather have a serious discussion on this raging pandemic.

Comment

This was a brand new disease and new virus, so the medical establishment had some work to do to formulate recommendations.
                  Yes, and as my own medical professional told me just the other day - they still haven't figure it out.

Science changes its conclusions and recommendations as data becomes available and that is what happened here.

"Raging pandemic". How bout being serious about that? That sounds a bit like hysteria.

Comment

This is the kind of crap for which I (and others) see you as a joke.

From CDC, no less..... [ Interpretative Summary for March 5, 2021 ]

Beginning on January 11, the 7-day average of newly reported cases declined for 43 consecutive days. There was a brief increase between February 27 and March 1, 2021; and as of March 2, the 7-day average of new cases began to decline again. There has been an overall decline of 74.9% of the 7-day moving average since the highest 7-day average of 249,360 on January 11, 2021. On March 3, there was a 5.7% decrease in the 7-day average number of daily cases reported compared with the prior week, which provides an encouraging sign of continued progress.

NEW CASES

chart-reported-cases.jpg

And, to your fearmongering post about hospitals being full and refrigerator trucks for the dead bodies...

New Hospital Admissions

Hospital admissions of patients with confirmed COVID-19 decreased 67% from the national 7-day average peak of 16,540 admissions on January 9, 2021 to a 7-day average of 5,490 admissions on March 2, 2021. The average number of daily admissions fell by 14.8%, compared to the previous week.

Hospital Admissions

chart-reported-cases.jpg
                    So stop being such a hysterical spreader of Doom and Gloom false information.
                    Attached Files

Comment

• Originally posted by Sparko View Post
                      My cousin is a nurse at the University of Michigan hospital in Detroit. She was actually laid off last spring and summer because people were avoiding coming to the hospital for procedures and there weren't actually that many COVID patients there that they needed her. The whole overwhelming of hospitals and morgues was an exaggeration. It happened in a few places and for a short time. New York being the worst. And now we know most of that was Cuomo's fault. They had a hospital ship there that went mostly unused, while he shoved patients into nursing homes.

And yes, I wear a mask when I go out because I am at high risk because I have a compromised immune system. But I could care less if other people wear them. I treat them all as if they are infected and avoid them and wash my hands after touching anything. If they want to risk their lives, that's their problem. Just get your shot and sit back while all those nutty conservatives eliminate themselves, right?
                      The refrigerator trailers were also a bit of a red herring. In some cases, facilities were simply following protocol that prohibited the storing of potentially infectious corpses in the regular morgue. In other cases, the trailers sat unused because they were ordered by panicky political types who never bothered to ask the hospitals if they were needed or even wanted.
                      Some may call me foolish, and some may call me odd
                      But I'd rather be a fool in the eyes of man
                      Than a fool in the eyes of God

From "Fools Gold" by Petra

Comment

Ha ha ha.
                        I am sure the families of those 500,000 people dead of covid think this is really funny.
                        You're right, if it wasn't for the China flu, we could have cured death!

Comment

• Originally posted by Mountain Man View Post

The refrigerator trailers were also a bit of a red herring. In some cases, facilities were simply following protocol that prohibited the storing of potentially infectious corpses in the regular morgue. In other cases, the trailers sat unused because they were ordered by panicky political types who never bothered to ask the hospitals if they were needed or even wanted.
                          And unused hospital ships and whole medical tent complexes ---- the loony left on hyper-hysteria.

Comment

No. The narrative is that we are all in this together, and we will not lick it unless we all follow medical advice...
                            Whose medical advice? Presumably you mean only those experts given the stamp of the approval by the state, but they are by no means the only experts stating their opinions. Quite a number of them have commented on the physical dangers of long-term mask use, for instance.

Comment

This reminds me of Biden lecturing us on how important it is to wear a mask, then walking away from the podium without his, looking around a bit confused, then having to go back to the podium to get his mask.

And you wonder why people see much of this as a joke.
                              My favorite was when he was giving a campaign speech and then pulled down his mask so he could cough into his hand.

Comment

• Originally posted by Mountain Man View Post

My favorite was when he was giving a campaign speech and then pulled down his mask so he could cough into his hand.
                                I wonder if Nancy goes home at night and wonders how much longer she has to put up with Joe and his... um.... specialness.

Comment