Announcement

Collapse

Philosophy 201 Guidelines

Cogito ergo sum

Here in the Philosophy forum we will talk about all the "why" questions. We'll have conversations about the way in which philosophy and theology and religion interact with each other. Metaphysics, ontology, origins, truth? They're all fair game so jump right in and have some fun! But remember...play nice!

Forum Rules: Here
See more
See less

Is time physical?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• seer
    replied
    Originally posted by Sparko View Post

Yeah I mentioned that one before. It allows for free will but still doesn't answer how God can know the future if it doesn't exist.
    I'm just trying to figure out time - never mind what God is capable of or not...

Leave a comment:

• Sparko
    replied
    Originally posted by seer View Post

There also is:

The growing block view of time holds that the past and present are real whilst the future is unreal; as future events become present and real, they are added on to the growing block of reality.

The growing block view of time can be seen as the combination of two theses. First of all, the growing block view is committed to a dynamic account of time, on which there is an objective, changing present. The growing block conception of time shares this commitment with a number of other A-theoretic accounts of time, including presentism and the moving spotlight theory. The second commitment is ontological; past and present times exist, while future times do not exist. On the growing block view, there is a block of objectively past time-slices and one present time-slice. As the present changes, new present slices are added to the block. The combination of these dynamic and ontological commitments means that the growing block view of time is often portrayed as a middle ground between presentism and eternalism and as a hybrid of A- and B-theory.
    Yeah I mentioned that one before. It allows for free will but still doesn't answer how God can know the future if it doesn't exist.

Leave a comment:

• Sparko
    replied

Even if it is expanding in its own slice of time, it is still actually moving, which would undermine B theory.
    I think he is imagining a hybrid of A and B theory. so that each "slice" is actually moving forward in time. Like a river. That would mean that each time period would not necessarily end up the same as another. Like logs flowing down a river.
    The 1950 slice that exists right now might end up different when it reaches its 2020 than "our" 1950 slice did. It would be a soft of multiverse in one universe.

Leave a comment:

• Machinist
    replied

Even if it is expanding in its own slice of time, it is still actually moving, which would undermine B theory.
    I guess you would have to have time within time within time. I see what you're saying though. It would would be moving in that slice, hardly static.

Leave a comment:

• seer
    replied
    Originally posted by Machinist View Post

I had a thought:

Each universe that is created at every plank time unit is expanding, and in that universe, which is located at a different time coordinate, that universe is still expanding. Each of these universes expand, but they expand within their own time slice.

There also is:

The growing block view of time holds that the past and present are real whilst the future is unreal; as future events become present and real, they are added on to the growing block of reality.

The growing block view of time can be seen as the combination of two theses. First of all, the growing block view is committed to a dynamic account of time, on which there is an objective, changing present. The growing block conception of time shares this commitment with a number of other A-theoretic accounts of time, including presentism and the moving spotlight theory. The second commitment is ontological; past and present times exist, while future times do not exist. On the growing block view, there is a block of objectively past time-slices and one present time-slice. As the present changes, new present slices are added to the block. The combination of these dynamic and ontological commitments means that the growing block view of time is often portrayed as a middle ground between presentism and eternalism and as a hybrid of A- and B-theory.

Leave a comment:

• seer
    replied

I had a thought:

Each universe that is created at every plank time unit is expanding, and in that universe, which is located at a different time coordinate, that universe is still expanding. Each of these universes expand, but they expand within their own time slice.

Leave a comment:

• Machinist
    replied

You can't have it both ways Stoic, If B theory is correct the universe never started small then expanded, nor would it be expanding today.
    I had a thought:

Leave a comment:

• seer
    replied
    Originally posted by Stoic View Post
    Sorry, but no.

Can't think of any reason to.
    You can't have it both ways Stoic, If B theory is correct the universe never started small then expanded, nor would it be expanding today. Species A never gradually changed to species B. Species A still exists and always will. There is no gradual change, there was never any change at all. Please be consistent.

Leave a comment:

• Stoic
    replied
    Right and everything I said would be correct.
    Sorry, but no.

So you give up Big bang cosmology and the theory of evolution?
    Can't think of any reason to.

Last edited by Stoic; 09-12-2022, 12:22 AM.

Leave a comment:

• seer
    replied

I don't know if this ties into anything you are talking about, but consciousness is the only thing that cannot be an illusion.
    Agreed...cogito, ergo sum

Leave a comment:

• Machinist
    replied

Yes, but that movement is an illusion.
    I don't know if this ties into anything you are talking about, but consciousness is the only thing that cannot be an illusion.

Leave a comment:

• seer
    replied

I don't know. I'm just sitting here thinking of a flip book. Think i'll just...uhhhm....
    Yes, but that movement is an illusion.

Leave a comment:

• Machinist
    replied

Yes, but we are not actually moving...

I don't know. I'm just sitting here thinking of a flip book. Think i'll just...uhhhm....
    Last edited by Machinist; 09-11-2022, 01:30 PM.

Leave a comment:

• seer
    replied

Yeah, because in each frame, everything is static. But if you flip these static images together, you get a movie.
    Yes, but we are not actually moving...

Leave a comment:

• Machinist
    replied

Yeah, because in each frame, everything is static. But if you flip these static images together, you get a movie.
    I think I'm still thinking in 3D here. Not sure.

Leave a comment:

widgetinstance 221 (Related Threads) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
Working...
X