Announcement

Collapse

Philosophy 201 Guidelines

Cogito ergo sum

Here in the Philosophy forum we will talk about all the "why" questions. We'll have conversations about the way in which philosophy and theology and religion interact with each other. Metaphysics, ontology, origins, truth? They're all fair game so jump right in and have some fun! But remember...play nice!

Forum Rules: Here
See more
See less

Is time physical?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Sparko
    replied
    Originally posted by seer View Post

Sorry Sparko Bro, everything you spoke of concerning time coordinates was based that on the idea of flow or tenses. But in B Theory no separate 'times' actually exist, there is no 1964 or 2022. They all exist at once (as you said) - in reality. That is not rational, you can have different locations but you can not divide static time. And no, you have not present a coherent argument that divides time apart from using the illusion of flow. Which is false.
    You are wrong. again.

Leave a comment:

• seer
    replied
    Originally posted by Sparko View Post

I have done exactly that several times now, Seer. And so has Stoic. And it isn't ad hominem. I am not trying to insult you, I am merely pointing out the uselessness of trying to debate this topic with someone who will never admit he doesn't grasp the concepts involved.
    Sorry Sparko Bro, everything you spoke of concerning time coordinates was based that on the idea of flow or tenses. But in B Theory no separate 'times' actually exist, there is no 1964 or 2022. They all exist at once (as you said) - in reality. That is not rational, you can have different locations but you can not divide static time. And no, you have not present a coherent argument that divides time apart from using the illusion of flow. Which is false.

Leave a comment:

• Sparko
    replied

Ad hominem, instead of answering how one divides time into separate coordinates when time is static and everything exists at ONCE.
    I have done exactly that several times now, Seer. And so has Stoic. And it isn't ad hominem. I am not trying to insult you, I am merely pointing out the uselessness of trying to debate this topic with someone who will never admit he doesn't grasp the concepts involved.

Leave a comment:

• seer
    replied

No you don't. I am not going to waste my time trying again, but you have a serious case of Dunning Kruger* Syndrome on this particular subject, Seer.

*The Dunning-Kruger effect effect occurs when a person's lack of knowledge and skills in a certain area cause them to overestimate their own competence.
    Ad hominem, instead of answering how one divides time into separate coordinates when time is static and everything exists at ONCE.

Leave a comment:

• Sparko
    replied

I grasp it perfectly well, that is why you can answer the question. Just offer a time coordinate that does not depend on our false and illusionary idea of flow. As you said all the frames of the film exist at once. How do you divide that into different coordinates.
    No you don't. I am not going to waste my time trying again, but you have a serious case of Dunning Kruger* Syndrome on this particular subject, Seer.

*The Dunning-Kruger effect effect occurs when a person's lack of knowledge and skills in a certain area cause them to overestimate their own competence.

Leave a comment:

• seer
    replied

You are going in the same circles with seer that I did. He just can't grasp the concept.
    I grasp it perfectly well, that is why you can answer the question. Just offer a time coordinate that does not depend on our false and illusionary idea of flow. As you said all the frames of the film exist at once. How do you divide that into different coordinates.
    Last edited by seer; 09-08-2022, 07:15 AM.

Leave a comment:

• seer
    replied
    Originally posted by Stoic View Post
    How is space different in different locations? How is space different at location A as opposed to location B?
    Space is not different in different locations, neither is time. That is the point, time does not determine anything. There are no distinct time coordinates. But locations are determined relative to other physical bodies.

You need a time coordinate to locate an event in spacetime.
    Sheesh! What is a time coordinate in a sea of static time? Where time does not change? Really Stoic, can you offer a time coordinate that does not depend on our false and illusionary idea of flow?

Leave a comment:

• Sparko
    replied
    How is space different in different locations? How is space different at location A as opposed to location B?

You are going in the same circles with seer that I did. He just can't grasp the concept.

Leave a comment:

• Stoic
    replied
    But time is not distance, you can assert that they are equivalent but that is not an argument. In other words how is time itself different in different locations? How is time different at location A as opposed to location B?

So there is no particular time! That is what I have been saying! There are no distinct time coordinates, there is no variation in time, though there may be in physical location.

Leave a comment:

• seer
    replied

From the POV of someone outside the Block Universe, time is equivalent to distance. Distance is just measured in three perpendicular directions, and time is measured in a direction perpendicular to those three.
    But time is not distance, you can assert that they are equivalent but that is not an argument. In other words how is time itself different in different locations? How is time different at location A as opposed to location B?

Also from the POV of someone outside the Block Universe, instead of an event being at a particular place and time, the event is at a particular location in spacetime.
    So there is no particular time! That is what I have been saying! There are no distinct time coordinates, there is no variation in time, though there may be in physical location.

Leave a comment:

• Stoic
    replied
    Distance is not time, the point is there are no differing times when time is static. You could say that there are different locations (which has other problems) but time could never be a metric because it never changes.
    From the POV of someone outside the Block Universe, time is equivalent to distance. Distance is just measured in three perpendicular directions, and time is measured in a direction perpendicular to those three.

Also from the POV of someone outside the Block Universe, instead of an event being at a particular place and time, the event is at a particular location in spacetime.

Leave a comment:

• seer
    replied

OK I am done. For real this time. You have zero idea of how B-theory works. I have done my best to explain it to you in as many ways as I could.
    You have explained nothing Bro. Your whole argument is based on dividing time into periods based on our faulty and erroneous view of flow. In B theory neither 1961 nor 2022 actually exist as separate periods, as you rightly said they all exist at ONCE. There are in reality no divisions. But it has been fun!

Leave a comment:

• Sparko
    replied

Good grief! If all times exist at once you can not divine time! There is, in Block theory, only that one frozen 'moment.' 1961, 1962, etc.. don't ACTUALLY exist, those divisions are completely based on an ILLUSION. It is not reality. I have no problem saying there are different locations (though there are real problems with that) but you don't get to claim different time periods when time itself is static and not divisible. In B Theory we only have the illusion of time passing and your time periods are based on this illusion or false understanding.
    OK I am done. For real this time. You have zero idea of how B-theory works. I have done my best to explain it to you in as many ways as I could.

Leave a comment:

• seer
    replied
    Yes, that is exactly how it works. Time periods are based on our illusion of flow...And that illusion is not REALITY in B theory...

Leave a comment:

• seer
    replied

Seer, you have no idea what you are talking about. I will try one more time then I am done.

Time exists in the block universe. All times exist. From "outside" you would indeed see all times as existing at once, just like from outside you would see the entire film strip or gif frames. Yet that doesn't mean that there aren't different time periods within the whole of time. Just like the frames exist within the film strip. Each frame is different from another and represent a different time. One frame could be 1961, another frame could be 2022. You are confusing the dimension of time with different periods of time within that dimension.

If the time dimension were a line, each time coordinate or period would be a point along that line. You from the outside could see all of the line and all of the points but that doesn't mean they don't exist.

.....1961....1962................2022.......2025.. ......3000

You can see the whole line at once. but each . is a different moment in time.
    Good grief! If all times exist at once you can not divide time! There is, in Block theory, only that one frozen 'moment.' 1961, 1962, etc.. don't ACTUALLY exist, those divisions are completely based on an ILLUSION. It is not reality. I have no problem saying there are different locations (though there are real problems with that) but you don't get to claim different time periods when time itself is static and not divisible. In B Theory we only have the illusion of time passing and your time periods are based on this illusion or false understanding.
    Last edited by seer; 09-07-2022, 08:50 AM.

Leave a comment: