Announcement

Collapse

General Theistics 101 Guidelines

This area is open for nontheists and theists to interact on issues of theism and faith in a civilized manner. We ask that nontheist participation respect the theistic views of others and not seek to undermine theism in general, or advocate for nontheism. Such posts are more suited for and allowable in Apologetics 301 with very little restriction.

The moderators of this area are given great discretion to determine if a particular thread or comment would more appropriately belong in another forum area.

Forum Rules: Here
See more
See less

An atheist chaplain

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Juvenal View Post

What god does a Buddhist chaplain worship?
    Whatever gods they worship, including themselves, are false. All man created religions are false. There are only 2 religions, the worship of the works of Satan or the worship of the Jesus of the Bible.

Securely anchored to the Rock amid every storm of trial, testing or tribulation.

Comment

Originally posted by rogue06 View Post
      Your argument is with Smith and Campbell

And

[box] nearly all modern Buddhist schools accept the existence of gods of some kind; the main point of divergence is on the influence of these gods. Of the major schools, Theravada tends to de-emphasize the gods, whereas Mahayana and Vajrayana do not.
      Your post reminded me of Enma and the Sanzunokawa, which, though by no means the same, nonetheless is reminiscent of the Styx)

[B]
      Enma (閻魔)
      Originally posted by [URL
      https://www.japanese-wiki-corpus.org/Buddhism/Enma.html[/URL]]
      According to Buddhism and Hinduism, Enma is the master of Hell. He is also considered to be a deity. It is believed that Enma, being the king of a permanent dreamland, has the authority to judge the crimes committed by the dead while in life.

Last edited by tabibito; 09-06-2021, 10:49 AM.
      1Cor 15:34 Come to your senses as you ought and stop sinning; for I say to your shame, there are some who know not God.
      ⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛
      Scripture before Tradition:
      but that won't prevent others from
      taking it upon themselves to deprive you
      of the right to call yourself Christian.

⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛

Comment

Your argument is with Smith and Campbell
        My argument is with your bizarre insistence that chaplains have to be theists.. There are no gods in the four noble truths. There are no gods in the eight-fold path. Without those, there is no Buddhism. It does just fine without gods, though. because Buddhism doesn't look to gods for salvation. It is not theism.

There are plenty of Humanists that believe in gods, too, but that doesn't make me, or that chaplain, a theist, either.

Comment

Originally posted by mossrose View Post

Whatever gods they worship, including themselves, are false. All man created religions are false. There are only 2 religions, the worship of the works of Satan or the worship of the Jesus of the Bible.
          Mossy, I do my very best to respect your beliefs without forcing mine upon you. Don't push yours on me. I don't believe in gods. I don't worship gods. I don't worship myself either.

Good grief, what have I done or said to you lately that gives you cause to insult me like this.

Comment

Mossy, I do my very best to respect your beliefs without forcing mine upon you. Don't push yours on me. I don't believe in gods. I don't worship gods. I don't worship myself either.

Good grief, what have I done or said to you lately that gives you cause to insult me like this.
            I am not intending to insult you. I am merely stating what I believe, as you also are.

Securely anchored to the Rock amid every storm of trial, testing or tribulation.

Comment

My argument is with your bizarre insistence that chaplains have to be theists.. There are no gods in the four noble truths. There are no gods in the eight-fold path. Without those, there is no Buddhism. It does just fine without gods, though. because Buddhism doesn't look to gods for salvation. It is not theism.

There are plenty of Humanists that believe in gods, too, but that doesn't make me, or that chaplain, a theist, either.
              You believe in gods but aren't a theist. That sounds like denial since the definition of a theist is someone who believes in God or gods.

I'm always still in trouble again

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
              "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
              "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

Right up til the 1960s, religion (belief in God) was synonymous with denomination and implied dedication. Now religion (belief in a god or gods) is synonymous with Faith - often sans the implication of dedication.
                When Buddhism and Shinto et al were declared to be not religions, the definition was accurate. Under the current definitions, they are religions.
                1Cor 15:34 Come to your senses as you ought and stop sinning; for I say to your shame, there are some who know not God.
                ⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛

⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛

Comment

Originally posted by tabibito View Post
                  Right up til the 1960s, religion (belief in God) was synonymous with denomination and implied dedication. Now religion (belief in a god or gods) is synonymous with Faith - often sans the implication of dedication.
                  When Buddhism and Shinto et al were declared to be not religions, the definition was accurate. Under the current definitions, they are religions.
                  So nature religions like Shintoism aren't actually religions? Would that also mean various animist faiths aren't True Religions™ either?

ETA: And I hate having to turn to Wikipedia

0621cff1-a245-4420-8ea2-f04f8abd6717.jpg
                  Last edited by rogue06; 09-07-2021, 06:39 AM.

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
                  "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
                  "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

So nature religions like Shintoism aren't actually religions? Would that also mean various animist faiths aren't True Religions™ either?
                    Shintoism is a nature religion?? (Checking: ah, I had misunderstood the term).
                    Under the definition in play when they were first declared to not be religions, they were not religions. That definition is no longer valid. So, in the here and now they are religions (when speaking English.) Unfortunately, the ripple effect from English is being felt in wider spheres.
                    Japan has a strict "no state religion" clause. That is causing conniptions now, because the state religion is Shinto. In times past, there was no conflict - Shinto wasn't a religion.
                    ⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛

⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛

Comment

While I recognise and accept that you believe what you believe it should be remembered that all religions are "man created". I'd also note that your contention concerning there being "only 2 religions" hints at dualism.
                      "It ain't necessarily so
                      The things that you're liable
                      To read in the Bible
                      It ain't necessarily so
                      ."

Sportin' Life
                      Porgy & Bess, DuBose Heyward, George & Ira Gershwin

Comment

Originally posted by Hypatia_Alexandria View Post

While I recognise and accept that you believe what you believe it should be remembered that all religions are "man created". I'd also note that your contention concerning there being "only 2 religions" hints at dualism.
                        H_A-dude.gif

Comment

I recommend that you read some anthropology.

The concept that there are two supernatural entities one of the dark and one of the light is dualism.

"It ain't necessarily so
                          To read in the Bible
                          It ain't necessarily so
                          ."

Sportin' Life

Comment

You frankly understand nothing I say, so you may as well not bother responding to me anymore. Every post you make proves your ignorance of Christianity.

Oh, and, p.s., Satan is not a deity, but you worship him anyway.

Comment

You frankly understand nothing I say, so you may as well not bother responding to me anymore. Every post you make proves your ignorance of Christianity.
                              You wrote that there were "only 2 religions" .

I would also recommend that you also read some anthropology and perhaps some works on comparative religion.
                              "It ain't necessarily so
                              To read in the Bible
                              It ain't necessarily so
                              ."

Sportin' Life

Comment

You wrote that there were "only 2 religions" .

I would also recommend that you also read some anthropology and perhaps some works on comparative religion.
                                Are you sure you are not autistic?

Comment