Announcement

Collapse

General Theistics 101 Guidelines

This area is open for nontheists and theists to interact on issues of theism and faith in a civilized manner. We ask that nontheist participation respect the theistic views of others and not seek to undermine theism in general, or advocate for nontheism. Such posts are more suited for and allowable in Apologetics 301 with very little restriction.

The moderators of this area are given great discretion to determine if a particular thread or comment would more appropriately belong in another forum area.

Forum Rules: Here
See more
See less

An atheist chaplain

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by mossrose View Post

As I said previously, she proves her ignorance of Christianity with every post she makes.
    You could have just left off the words, "of Christianity" if you wanted.

Comment

Originally posted by Sparko View Post

You could have just left off the words, "of Christianity" if you wanted.
      I guess I could have, at that.

Securely anchored to the Rock amid every storm of trial, testing or tribulation.

Comment

I guess I could have, at that.
        You Canadians and your superfluous letters.

Comment

This all seem to be just your opinion.
          What mossrose wrote was a dogmatic statement. "There are only 2 religions" There is no equivocation in that remark.

The first century Jewish Galilean we know as Jesus of Nazareth was a practising Jew.

Some of the more extreme members of other faiths would consider your faith to be "false".

With regard to your notion of Satan. In the Hebrew Bible, as in mainstream Judaism today Satan never appears as Western Christendom has come to perceive him, that is as the leader of some sort of malign empire with an army of forces hostile to God and humanity. In both the Book of Job and Numbers he appears as one of God's, obedient servants, a messenger, or angel, the Hebrew term for messenger [ma’lak] translates into into Greek as [angelos]. In Hebrew, the angels were often called “sons of God” [bene ‘elohim], and were imagined as forming a hierarchy, either as an army, or as the staff found in a royal court.

"It ain't necessarily so
          The things that you're liable
          To read in the Bible
          It ain't necessarily so
          ."

Sportin' Life
          Porgy & Bess, DuBose Heyward, George & Ira Gershwin

Comment

Originally posted by Hypatia_Alexandria View Post

What mossrose wrote was a dogmatic statement. "There are only 2 religions" There is no equivocation in that remark.

The first century Jewish Galilean we know as Jesus of Nazareth was a practising Jew.

Some of the more extreme members of other faiths would consider your faith to be "false".

With regard to your notion of Satan. In the Hebrew Bible, as in mainstream Judaism today Satan never appears as Western Christendom has come to perceive him, that is as the leader of some sort of malign empire with an army of forces hostile to God and humanity. In both the Book of Job and Numbers he appears as one of God's, obedient servants, a messenger, or angel, the Hebrew term for messenger [ma’lak] translates into into Greek as [angelos]. In Hebrew, the angels were often called “sons of God” [bene ‘elohim], and were imagined as forming a hierarchy, either as an army, or as the staff found in a royal court.
            You are again showing that you seem to be autistic or something. Your failure to grasp what mossy was saying, even after I explained it to you in quite simple terms, is mind-boggling.

Yes, Jesus was a Jew. So what? Christianity is the culmination and continuation of the OT Jewish faith, it's the "NEW Covenant". Those following Judaism today are the ones who have fallen away form the true faith.
            Yes, other faiths probably do consider Christianity to be "false" - so what? They are wrong.

None of your comments change anything mossy said or what she meant.

Comment

You are again showing that you seem to be autistic or something.
              I am responding to what was written and how it was phrased. You appear to be contending you can read her mind and know what she meant. Unless she has [via PM] vouchsafed details to you of what she actually intended you are claiming to know something that you do not.

Your failure to grasp what mossy was saying, even after I explained it to you in quite simple terms, is mind-boggling.
              Your contention that you can deduce from one sentence the detailed content of mossrose's thinking on this topic is rather arrogant.

Yes, Jesus was a Jew. So what?
              Therefore it might postulated that you are practising the wrong faith.

Christianity is the culmination and continuation of the OT Jewish faith, it's the "NEW Covenant".
              You offer preconceived theological subjectivity and present it as established fact when it is nothing of the kind.

Those following Judaism today are the ones who have fallen away form the true faith.
              What a monstrous conceit.

Yes, other faiths probably do consider Christianity to be "false" - so what? They are wrong.
              Some adherents to other faiths would say precisely the same about you. Where does that take us?

None of your comments change anything mossy said or what she meant.
              Once again I do not affect an intimate knowledge of other people's minds. You on the other hand appear to be doing precisely that.
              "It ain't necessarily so
              To read in the Bible
              It ain't necessarily so
              ."

Sportin' Life

Comment

I am responding to what was written and how it was phrased. You appear to be contending you can read her mind and know what she meant. Unless she has [via PM] vouchsafed details to you of what she actually intended you are claiming to know something that you do not.

Your contention that you can deduce from one sentence the detailed content of mossrose's thinking on this topic is rather arrogant.
                No, what is mind-boggling is that you CAN'T seem to know what she meant while everyone else here can easily see exactly what she meant. That is why I was asking if you might have some autism or similar condition that renders you unable to understand simple conversations.

Therefore it might postulated that you are practising the wrong faith.
                You are free to do so.

You offer preconceived theological subjectivity and present it as established fact when it is nothing of the kind.

What a monstrous conceit.
                Wow. Such irony and lack of self-awareness!! This takes the cake!

Some adherents to other faiths would say precisely the same about you. Where does that take us?
                One day we will find out. In the meantime, all this is still irrelevant to what mossrose said and meant.

Once again I do not affect an intimate knowledge of other people's minds. You on the other hand appear to be doing precisely that.
                No. I am just a normal person who can understand what other people clearly said, while you seem unable to do that. You are like a colorblind person complaining that a normally sighted person has no idea what the color red looks like and is arrogant for claiming to know.
                Last edited by Sparko; 09-09-2021, 08:31 AM.

Comment

No, what is mind-boggling is that you CAN'T seem to know what she meant while everyone else here can easily see exactly what she meant.
                  Unlike yourself I can only "know" what she wrote and what she wrote regarding "There are only 2 religions" might be construed as somewhat extreme. Your own comments also suggest an underlying notion that "We" are right and everyone else is wrong. Might I suggest the application of a little tolerance and humility?

Wow. Such irony and lack of self-awareness!! This takes the cake!
                  I have never written "Those following Judaism today are the ones who have fallen away form the true faith." Look to that beam in your eye.

One day we will find out.
                  Are you advocating religious wars? Or are you merely resorting to futile eschatological speculation?:

No. I am just a normal person who can understand what other people clearly said
                  On the contrary, and premised on what you have written, you are claiming you know another person's mind and what they "meant".

"It ain't necessarily so
                  To read in the Bible
                  It ain't necessarily so
                  ."

Sportin' Life

Comment

Unlike yourself I can only "know" what she wrote and what she wrote regarding "There are only 2 religions" might be construed as somewhat extreme. Your own comments also suggest an underlying notion that "We" are right and everyone else is wrong. Might I suggest the application of a little tolerance and humility?

I have never written "Those following Judaism today are the ones who have fallen away form the true faith." Look to that beam in your eye.

Are you advocating religious wars? Or are you merely resorting to futile eschatological speculation?:
                    Now you are doing it to me. LOL. I meant that one day we will die and find out if Christianity is the true religion or not.

On the contrary, and premised on what you have written, you are claiming you know another person's mind and what they "meant".
                    Simple solution: Ask mossy what she meant and if I was correct or not.

Also you could ask that others who have read her post if what I said was correct or not. Take a poll.

Comment

Sparky and other believers know exactly what I meant and understand it because they are also believers and we have the same understanding of scripture. He doesn’t need to read my mind or that of any other believer who follows scripture.

You, on the other hand, are blinded by the lies of Satan and cannot and will not understand unless you repent of your sin and ask for forgiveness and follow Christ.

And stop trying to “construe” what I meant when I said is what I meant.

Also, you’re stupid. And you’ve derailed again.

Securely anchored to the Rock amid every storm of trial, testing or tribulation.

Comment

Sparky and other believers know exactly what I meant and understand it because they are also believers and we have the same understanding of scripture. He doesn’t need to read my mind or that of any other believer who follows scripture.

You, on the other hand, are blinded by the lies of Satan and cannot and will not understand unless you repent of your sin and ask for forgiveness and follow Christ.

One down. Next she should start a poll to see if everyone else understood what you meant.

I can't tell if she is just trolling or really is that unable to understand simple conversations. That is why I was asking if she might be autistic or something. I mean no slight against someone with autism, they are usually highly intelligent. Nick has Asperger's for example. It's just that one of the characteristics of autism is an inability to read social cues and subtext in interactions and conversations. And they tend to respond with highly technical or detached responses where a normal conversation doesn't require it.

Comment

And my very best wishes to you as well.
                          "It ain't necessarily so
                          To read in the Bible
                          It ain't necessarily so
                          ."

Sportin' Life

Comment

Scripture Verse: Jeremiah 5:21

Hear now this, O foolish people, and without understanding; which have eyes, and see not; which have ears, and hear not

© Copyright Original Source

Or as folks today like to say: "There are none so blind as those who will not see"

I'm always still in trouble again

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
                            "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
                            "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

Inadvertently, she has provided a perfect example of why an atheist shouldn't be a Chaplain. They just don't understand.

Comment

Now you are doing it to me. LOL. I meant that one day we will die and find out if Christianity is the true religion or not.
                                [My emphasis] Do I detect a note of equivocation?

Simple solution: Ask mossy what she meant and if I was correct or not.
                                She has conveyed her opinion of me and I have offered her my best wishes.

"It ain't necessarily so
                                To read in the Bible
                                It ain't necessarily so
                                ."

Sportin' Life

Comment

widgetinstance 221 (Related Threads) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                                Working...
                                X