Announcement

Collapse

General Theistics 101 Guidelines

This area is open for nontheists and theists to interact on issues of theism and faith in a civilized manner. We ask that nontheist participation respect the theistic views of others and not seek to undermine theism in general, or advocate for nontheism. Such posts are more suited for and allowable in Apologetics 301 with very little restriction.

The moderators of this area are given great discretion to determine if a particular thread or comment would more appropriately belong in another forum area.

Forum Rules: Here
See more
See less

An atheist chaplain

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Sparko View Post

One down. Next she should start a poll to see if everyone else understood what you meant.

I can't tell if she is just trolling or really is that unable to understand simple conversations. That is why I was asking if she might be autistic or something. I mean no slight against someone with autism, they are usually highly intelligent. Nick has Asperger's for example. It's just that one of the characteristics of autism is an inability to read social cues and subtext in interactions and conversations. And they tend to respond with highly technical or detached responses where a normal conversation doesn't require it.
    Trolling. And blinded by Satan.

Securely anchored to the Rock amid every storm of trial, testing or tribulation.

Comment

Inadvertently, she has provided a perfect example of why an atheist shouldn't be a Chaplain. They just don't understand.
      Littlejoe hit it out of the park with the first reply on the thread:

Originally posted by Littlejoe View Post
      yeah, as a licensed chaplain, I take offense to the idea of an atheist chaplain. A better word for what he does would be social worker.

They might make great social workers, but chaplains...

I'm always still in trouble again

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
      "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
      "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

It's just that one of the characteristics of autism is an inability to read social cues and subtext in interactions and conversations.
        This medium is the written word.

None of us can see or hear one another. We therefore cannot detect vocal inflection or intonation, respond to body language, or interpret facial expressions.

You do not seem to have a clue about what you are writing.
        "It ain't necessarily so
        The things that you're liable
        To read in the Bible
        It ain't necessarily so
        ."

Sportin' Life
        Porgy & Bess, DuBose Heyward, George & Ira Gershwin

Comment

Originally posted by Hypatia_Alexandria View Post
          This medium is the written word.

None of us can see or hear one another. We therefore cannot detect vocal inflection or intonation, respond to body language, or interpret facial expressions.

You do not seem to have a clue about what you are writing.
          And yet, as mossy confirmed, I was correct in "reading her mind" and you weren't. I am also willing to bet anyone else reading her post knew exactly what she meant. Thus you are the outlier. Which means the problem of understanding lies with you. Which leads back to me asking if you have autism or something similar? Your inability to understand what I am saying seems to confirm it.

As someone who relies on books and the written word for knowledge as much as you seem to do, what with all of your references and source citations, it is extremely interesting that you are arguing that the written word is such a hard medium to glean correct knowledge and meaning from.

Comment

And yet, as mossy confirmed, I was correct in "reading her mind" and you weren't. I am also willing to bet anyone else reading her post knew exactly what she meant. Thus you are the outlier. Which means the problem of understanding lies with you. Which leads back to me asking if you have autism or something similar? Your inability to understand what I am saying seems to confirm it.

As someone who relies on books and the written word for knowledge as much as you seem to do, what with all of your references and source citations, it is extremely interesting that you are arguing that the written word is such a hard medium to glean correct knowledge and meaning from.
            That ^^^

I'm always still in trouble again

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
            "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
            "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

And yet, as mossy confirmed, I was correct in "reading her mind" and you weren't.
              I do not pretend to have ESP.

However, your comments pertaining to "social cues and subtext in interactions and conversations" are rendered superfluous via this medium which relies solely on the written word.
              "It ain't necessarily so
              To read in the Bible
              It ain't necessarily so
              ."

Sportin' Life

Comment

I fully understood what she wrote and responded accordingly.

You and the good lady herself now inform me that she "meant" something above and beyond what she actually stated. I repeat that I do not possess paranormal powers.

I can only respond to what is written not to any implied eschatological subtext that may only be discerned by those of a similar religious persuasion.

"It ain't necessarily so
                To read in the Bible
                It ain't necessarily so
                ."

Sportin' Life

Comment

I fully understood what she wrote and responded accordingly.

You and the good lady herself now inform me that she "meant" something above and beyond what she actually stated. I repeat that I do not possess paranormal powers.

I can only respond to what is written not to any implied eschatological subtext that may only be discerned by those of a similar religious persuasion.
                  And that proves my point that you cannot and will not understand the things of God unless you repent of your sin and believe on Jesus Christ as your Saviour.

Securely anchored to the Rock amid every storm of trial, testing or tribulation.

Comment

Originally posted by hypatia_alexandria View Post
                    i fully understood what she wrote and responded accordingly.

You and the good lady herself now inform me that she "meant" something above and beyond what she actually stated. I repeat that i do not possess paranormal powers.
                    FIFY. You're welcome.

Comment

However, your comments pertaining to "social cues and subtext in interactions and conversations" are rendered superfluous via this medium which relies solely on the written word.
                      So your argument is that it is too hard for you to understand conversations that are conducted in written form? Then you really need to stop participating on internet forums.

Comment

I also knew what mossy meant by her post. Then again I do better with written exchanges than verbal ones. Some information is lost, but I have more time to read, reread, and think of many possible meanings of the text, and then I can compare them to the context of the post itself. Once I've narrowed down the most likely meaning of what someone has written, then I can respond. If I misread a post I just admit it and ask for clarification.

Comment

Yet you are constantly "reading into" what others write, making wild assumptions on which you can base yet another asinine derail.

The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

So your argument is that it is too hard for you to understand conversations that are conducted in written form? Then you really need to stop participating on internet forums.
                            No that is not my argument.

Internet fora rely on the written word. On occasion people need to express themselves with more clarity and [ideally] read through their posts prior to hitting the Post Reply option. Your own little embarrassment whereby you included Africa as a "country" while mildly amusing serves as an example of such carelessness.

I understand that you were referring to regions of the world but what you wrote was erroneous and your little faux pas could have served as the butt of many a derogatory joke against you.
                            "It ain't necessarily so
                            To read in the Bible
                            It ain't necessarily so
                            ."

Sportin' Life

Comment

And she goes off on another tangent!

Comment

Originally posted by mossrose View Post

And that proves my point that you cannot and will not understand the things of God unless you repent of your sin and believe on Jesus Christ as your Saviour.
                                As previously noted with regard to your initial reply I do not possess paranormal skills nor do I have access to esoteric information apparently known only to adherents to a specific variant of Christianity.
                                "It ain't necessarily so
                                To read in the Bible
                                It ain't necessarily so
                                ."

Sportin' Life

Comment

widgetinstance 221 (Related Threads) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                                Working...
                                X