Announcement

Collapse

Apologetics 301 Guidelines

If you think this is the area where you tell everyone you are sorry for eating their lunch out of the fridge, it probably isn't the place for you

This forum is open discussion between atheists and all theists to defend and debate their views on religion or non-religion. Please respect that this is a Christian-owned forum and refrain from gratuitous blasphemy. VERY wide leeway is given in range of expression and allowable behavior as compared to other areas of the forum, and moderation is not overly involved unless necessary. Please keep this in mind. Atheists who wish to interact with theists in a way that does not seek to undermine theistic faith may participate in the World Religions Department. Non-debate question and answers and mild and less confrontational discussions can take place in General Theistics.

Forum Rules: Here
See more
See less

The Honest Atheist?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Mountain Man View Post
    Before we can even start exploiring the arguments and evidence for God, a person must be at least open to the idea that a maximally great being could exist.
    This seems to simply be substituting one vague and poorly defined phrase for another. What does "a maximally great being" mean?
    "[Mathematics] is the revealer of every genuine truth, for it knows every hidden secret, and bears the key to every subtlety of letters; whoever, then, has the effrontery to pursue physics while neglecting mathematics should know from the start he will never make his entry through the portals of wisdom."
    --Thomas Bradwardine, De Continuo (c. 1325)

Comment

• Originally posted by Boxing Pythagoras View Post
      This seems to simply be substituting one vague and poorly defined phrase for another. What does "a maximally great being" mean?
      I think he's referring to The Great Pumpkin. I, for one, plan to spend tomorrow evening in the pumpkin patch awaiting his arrival to bring Halloween candy to all the (deserving) children of the world.

NORM
      When the missionaries came to Africa they had the Bible and we had the land. They said 'Let us pray.' We closed our eyes. When we opened them we had the Bible and they had the land. - Bishop Desmond Tutu

Comment

• Originally posted by NormATive View Post
        I think he's referring to The Great Pumpkin. I, for one, plan to spend tomorrow evening in the pumpkin patch awaiting his arrival to bring Halloween candy to all the (deserving) children of the world.

NORM
        It's ABOUT TIME you said something I could amen!
        The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

I'm afraid you've missed the point.
          Some may call me foolish, and some may call me odd
          But I'd rather be a fool in the eyes of man
          Than a fool in the eyes of God

From "Fools Gold" by Petra

Comment

I'm afraid you've missed the point.
            I agree that I missed your point! It's rather difficult to understand the point someone is trying to make when you don't understand the phrases that he is utilizing. That's why I'm asking you what is meant by "a maximally great being."
            "[Mathematics] is the revealer of every genuine truth, for it knows every hidden secret, and bears the key to every subtlety of letters; whoever, then, has the effrontery to pursue physics while neglecting mathematics should know from the start he will never make his entry through the portals of wisdom."

Comment

I agree that I missed your point! It's rather difficult to understand the point someone is trying to make when you don't understand the phrases that he is utilizing. That's why I'm asking you what is meant by "a maximally great being."
              It comes from Alvain Plantinga's ontological argument: "Plantinga takes maximal excellence to include such properties as omniscience, omnipotence, and moral perfection. A being that has maximal excellence in every possible world would have what Plantinga calls 'maximal greatness.'" Such a being, asserts Plantinga, is intuitive and coherent -- that is to say that it is in no way illogical to suppose that a being greater than ourselves could exist -- and therefore plausible.

Comment

It comes from Alvain Plantinga's ontological argument: "[URL="http://www.reasonablefaith.org/the-new-atheism-and-five-arguments-for-god"]Plantinga takes maximal excellence to include such properties as omniscience, omnipotence, and moral perfection.
                I have my doubts that 'maximally great' is consistent.

Comment

It comes from Alvain Plantinga's ontological argument: "Plantinga takes maximal excellence to include such properties as omniscience, omnipotence, and moral perfection. A being that has maximal excellence in every possible world would have what Plantinga calls 'maximal greatness.'" Such a being, asserts Plantinga, is intuitive and coherent -- that is to say that it is in no way illogical to suppose that a being greater than ourselves could exist -- and therefore plausible.
                  And how does he define omniscience, omnipotence, and moral perfection?

Comment

Technically, I think it goes back to Anselm, and maybe even earlier. BP, the Internet Encyclopedia of Philosophy gives a great outline for the ontological argument that MM is referencing: http://www.iep.utm.edu/ont-arg/

I've read a bit of Plantinga's work on the subject, but I don't remember him offering any special definitions for "omniscience", "omnipotence" or "moral perfection" for his ontological argument. If I had to take a guess, I'd imagine that his definition of omnipotence would probably include some sort of clause that exempts the logically impossible. God is all powerful, but he can't make a square circle, or a rock that he can't lift...that sort of thing. And I'd imagine that moral perfection has something to do with his own personal nature, and God's necessary existence in relation to the universe.

Oh, and the philosopher Edward Feser deals quite a bit with Plantinga's arguments on his blog, so for more information you may want to check there as well.

Comment

• It is a truth that some atheists will invest their lives to suppress the truth. One example is the 'Freedom From Religion Foundation' who files law suits to suppress every Christian from freely practicing their faith, or even mentioning Christ. They have had some success in removing crosses, displays of the ten commandments, paintings of Jesus and even the word "Christmas" (replaced by 'Holiday') and its displays from public places. Interestingly, their leader (Dan Barker) is a former Christian minister, song writer and musician.
                      Last edited by publius; 10-30-2014, 12:37 PM. Reason: spelling error

Comment

• Originally posted by publius View Post
                        It is a truth that some atheists will invest their lives to suppress the truth. One example is the 'Freedom From Religion Foundation' who files law suits to suppress every Christian from freely practicing their faith, or even mentioning Christ. They have had some success in removing crosses, displays of the ten commandments, paintings of Jesus and even the word "Christmas" (replaced by 'Holiday') and its displays from public places. Interestingly, their leader (Dan Barker) is a former Christian minister and song writer and musician.
                        The FFRF does not "file law suits to suppress every Christian from freely practicing their faith, or even mentioning Christ." The FFRF files lawsuits when they are aware of a government agency or representative illegally supporting a religion.

Comment

And how does he define omniscience, omnipotence, and moral perfection?
                          Oh for crying out loud.

Comment

Oh for crying out loud.
                            If you are asking me to consider the possibility of a "maximally great being," and then you define a "maximally great being" as one which is "omniscient," "omnipotent," and "morally perfect," then you should not complain when I ask for definitions of these terms. I have heard omniscience and omnipotence defined in numerous different ways, some of which are entirely incoherent. As for "morally perfect," I have no idea what that is supposed to mean, at all.

Comment

• Originally posted by Paprika View Post
                              I have my doubts that 'maximally great' is consistent.
                              You're suggesting that it's possible to have something better than perfect which strikes me as an incoherent notion in and of itself.

Comment

You're suggesting that it's possible to have something better than perfect which strikes me as an incoherent notion in and of itself.
                                No, I'm suggesting that because there is no integer greater than any other integer, it may not be coherent to speak of a being greater than any other with respect to an attribute or quality; ie that there may not be a 'maximum' of that quality, or, if you like, that 'perfection' with regards to that quality does not exist.

Comment