Announcement

Collapse

Apologetics 301 Guidelines

If you think this is the area where you tell everyone you are sorry for eating their lunch out of the fridge, it probably isn't the place for you

This forum is open discussion between atheists and all theists to defend and debate their views on religion or non-religion. Please respect that this is a Christian-owned forum and refrain from gratuitous blasphemy. VERY wide leeway is given in range of expression and allowable behavior as compared to other areas of the forum, and moderation is not overly involved unless necessary. Please keep this in mind. Atheists who wish to interact with theists in a way that does not seek to undermine theistic faith may participate in the World Religions Department. Non-debate question and answers and mild and less confrontational discussions can take place in General Theistics.

Forum Rules: Here
See more
See less

The Honest Atheist?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Mountain Man View Post
    In my experience talking and debating with non-Christians over the past decade, there really is no difference between an atheist an agnostic. They both effectively live as if God doesn't exist. Let's put it this way: when was the last time you ever heard of an agnostic considering his actions in light of whether or not they're pleasing to God on the chance that he really does exist?
    So, maybe an agnostic is simply an atheist who doesn't have the courage to admit what he believes? (or doesn't believe?)
    The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

• Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post
      So, maybe an agnostic is simply an atheist who doesn't have the courage to admit what he believes? (or doesn't believe?)
      I think it's for the same reason that atheists claim that they merely "lack belief": they don't want to bear the burden of proof in a debate, which is, of course, cowardly and intellectually dishonest. I've even heard atheists and agnostics go so far as to unreasonably claim that lack of belief in God is the default position and that the burden rests entirely on the theist to disprove it.

As an aside, I wonder which is more appropriate for an agnostic: To look for reasons to believe, or to look for reasons to disbelieve?
      Some may call me foolish, and some may call me odd
      But I'd rather be a fool in the eyes of man
      Than a fool in the eyes of God

From "Fools Gold" by Petra

Comment

I don't run into too many who describe themselves as agnostics, I think today's soft atheist is yesterday's agnostic, where opinions on who is what may differ but in general:

Soft atheism: gods are possible but I tend not to believe it without more evidence.

Hard atheism: all the evidence is in, there are definitely no gods.

Of course you may get those who consistently argue for hard atheism but when pressed seem to partially concede to soft atheism, "sure anything is possible, so are fairies and unicorns." But this is because they know hard atheism is as much a religious type of faith and belief in no gods as the theism is in gods. To me they still walk and quack like hard atheists.

Comment

I think it's for the same reason that atheists claim that they merely "lack belief": they don't want to bear the burden of proof in a debate, which is, of course, cowardly and intellectually dishonest. I've even heard atheists and agnostics go so far as to unreasonably claim that lack of belief in God is the default position and that the burden rests entirely on the theist to disprove it.

As an aside, I wonder which is more appropriate for an agnostic: To look for reasons to believe, or to look for reasons to disbelieve?
          I was being SOMEWHAT tongue-in-cheek, but only somewhat. I think it's more a matter of "I want to do what I want to do and I don't want to be accountable to a higher power". Therefore, there IS no higher power, or I'd have to deal with the fact that I am either for or against Him.
          The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

I was being SOMEWHAT tongue-in-cheek, but only somewhat. I think it's more a matter of "I want to do what I want to do and I don't want to be accountable to a higher power". Therefore, there IS no higher power, or I'd have to deal with the fact that I am either for or against Him.
            Which comes back to the point I made earlier: People ultimately reject God because of sin and pride.

Comment

Which comes back to the point I made earlier: People ultimately reject God because of sin and pride.
              That is certainly true, but I want to hear from one of those atheists about how he or she is different than an agnostic. I suspect you are right when you suggest that "they don't want to bear the burden of proof."
              Micah 6:8 He has told you, O man, what is good; and what does the LORD require of you but to do justice, and to love kindness, and to walk humbly with your God?

Comment

• Originally posted by Doug Shaver
                Most of us who call ourselves atheists disagree. If you're not one of us, what entitles you to tell us what we are?

Originally posted by AkByR64 View Post
                Atheism is not a lack of belief, that's a cop out. The etymological and historical of atheism is a-no, theos -god, that is the claim of atheism. It doesn't say lack belief.
                Etymology and history do not determine a word's meaning. Its usage does.

Comment

• Originally posted by Doug Shaver View Post
                  You would agree though that there are some "hard atheists" like The Rational Response Squad who are very much antitheism, even though most may be "soft atheists" simply lacking belief, right?

Comment

• Originally posted by Doug Shaver View Post

This is what you basically said, "A word's usage doesn't determine its meaning. Its usage does."

Comment

• Atheist, what is the difference between an agnostic and an atheist?
                      Micah 6:8 He has told you, O man, what is good; and what does the LORD require of you but to do justice, and to love kindness, and to walk humbly with your God?

Comment

This is what you basically said, "A word's usage doesn't determine its meaning. Its usage does."
                        I kind of agree with him just on the general point here, for example Semites can include various groups from the Middle East, but in modern usage we know that antisemite refers only to Jews.

Still we all know some atheists are also very much antitheists, not simply lacking belief in theism, so there's not any relevance to that point anyway as applied to this issue.

Comment

• Originally posted by JohnnyP View Post
                          You would agree though that there are some "hard atheists" like The Rational Response Squad who are very much antitheism, even though most may be "soft atheists" simply lacking belief, right?
                          Yes, we make that distinction when it is relevant to whatever is being discussed.

Comment

Etymology and history are descriptions of past usage. Current meaning is determined by current usage.

Comment

Nonsense! “Sin" (and "pride" in this context) are theological concepts which are meaningless in the absence of a god.

What is being rejected is not God. There’s no credible evidence for a god so how can you reject that for which there’s no credible evidence? Answer: you can’t. E.g. do you "reject" invisible pink unicorns? Of course not; there's no good reason for believing in them in the first place. What’s being rejected is ‘belief’ in that for which there is no substantive evidence.
                              Last edited by Tassman; 10-28-2014, 05:27 AM.
                              “He felt that his whole life was a kind of dream and he sometimes wondered whose it was and whether they were enjoying it.” - Douglas Adams.

Comment

• Originally posted by Tassman View Post
                                Nonsense! “Sin" (and "pride" in this context) are theological concepts which are meaningless in the absence of a god.

What is being rejected is not God. There’s no credible evidence for a god so how can you reject that for which there’s no credible evidence? Answer: you can’t. E.g. do you "reject" invisible pink unicorns? Of course not; there's no good reason for believing in them in the first place. What’s being rejected is ‘belief’ in that for which there is no substantive evidence.
                                We're not even talking about arguments and evidence for God but merely the concept that he could exist. Atheists actively reject and argue against this proposition, so I find their claim that they merely lack belief to be disingenious.

Oh, and I already pegged your argument several pages back: "Every self-declared atheist you will ever meet has, at some point, been presented with the idea that God exists and has rejected that idea for one reason or another. They will claim that it's a rational conclusion based on a supposed lack of evidence. The scripture tells us it's because of their sin and pride. I know atheists don't like it, but I have to go with scripture on this."

You say there's no evidence for God. What you're really saying is that you have rejected whatever arguments and evidence you've encountered meaning that you can't claim a passive disbelief in God's existence.

I guess what it comes down is how do you have an honest conversation with someone who won't even be honest about what he really believes?

Comment