Announcement

Collapse

Apologetics 301 Guidelines

If you think this is the area where you tell everyone you are sorry for eating their lunch out of the fridge, it probably isn't the place for you

This forum is open discussion between atheists and all theists to defend and debate their views on religion or non-religion. Please respect that this is a Christian-owned forum and refrain from gratuitous blasphemy. VERY wide leeway is given in range of expression and allowable behavior as compared to other areas of the forum, and moderation is not overly involved unless necessary. Please keep this in mind. Atheists who wish to interact with theists in a way that does not seek to undermine theistic faith may participate in the World Religions Department. Non-debate question and answers and mild and less confrontational discussions can take place in General Theistics.

Forum Rules: Here
See more
See less

A concept of objective morality is not necessarily a good thing. It can be harmful.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Doug Shaver View Post
    For me to count anything as evidence, it has to be an objective fact.
    Does that include the above statement?
    Atheism is the cult of death, the death of hope. The universe is doomed, you are doomed, the only thing that remains is to await your execution...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jbnueb2OI4o&t=3s

Comment

• At long last...

Originally posted by Box
      Originally posted by Teallaura
      Bias is always subjective but subjectivity isn't necessarily bias.
      Originally posted by RW
      Yes. I see what you are getting at. .
      Originally posted by Box
      My question was were you speaking of a preference (bias) or of a formal case? It sounded like the former - mostly because 'absolute objectivity' only makes sense from perspective. An objectively real thing doesn't get any more or less real so 'absolute' would be a strange adverb in that sense. But the next line you're talking about the formal argument which is based on the reality and not the perception.
      Originally posted by Box
      Consistency and morality becomes enforceable. If morality depends solely on the decision of the group then its enforcement is necessarily arbitrary - there is no authority and/or objective reality upon which the standard is based.
      Originally posted by Box
      Bob's is just as good as Mary's (this problem is particular to relativism - a subjective system would have similar issues but without relativism's uniform values) so the enforcement comes down to 'might makes right' and not 'Bob's system is better'.
      Consistency is fleeting - the group can change tomorrow what it enforces today, making the system arbitrary. Arbitrary justice systems are necessarily unfair.
      In an objective system, morality exists independent of the group - e.g. murder is always wrong no matter what the group thinks because it is objectively wrong. Because the standard is objectively real it can be fairly enforced.
      Does that help?
      Last edited by Teallaura; 05-19-2014, 11:50 AM.
      "He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep to gain that which he cannot lose." - Jim Elliot

"Forgiveness is the way of love." Gary Chapman

My Personal Blog

My Novella blog (Current Novella Begins on 7/25/14)

Quill Sword

Comment

• Originally posted by Doug Shaver
        Originally posted by seer View Post
        It would, if I were offering it as evidence for anything.

Comment

Ok, so you believe some things to be true apart from evidence.
          Last edited by seer; 05-19-2014, 01:30 PM.
          Atheism is the cult of death, the death of hope. The universe is doomed, you are doomed, the only thing that remains is to await your execution...

Comment

• Originally posted by Doug Shaver
            Originally posted by seer
            Originally posted by Doug Shaver
            Originally posted by seer View Post
            Ok, so you believe some things to be true apart from evidence.
            That does not follow from what I said. I said that E implies F and that S is not an instance of E. No matter what I might assert about what E implies, to assert that some S is not an instance of E is not to assert anything about whether all S's require E.

Comment

That does not follow from what I said. I said that E implies F and that S is not an instance of E. No matter what I might assert about what E implies, to assert that some S is not an instance of E is not to assert anything about whether all S's require E.

Is this pig Latin?

Comment

• Originally posted by seer View Post
                Is this pig Latin?
                No, it's logic. But that's probably Greek to you.

Comment

That is fine, the point was that your definition of "evidence" was completely arbitrary. And therefore your question to me was meaningless.

Hence, what you have repeatedly presented is NOT "evidence" to anyone except yourself. It is your personal testimony regarding beliefs pertaining to the cultural deity of Judeo/Christianity and his alleged messengers and prophets. ALL religions have their devout adherents and sacred writings, why should yours get preferential treatment?

And how do you know that the prophets of old, the New Testament writers, of even Christ Himself were delusional? And Tass, I don't expect you to believe anything:
                  Why would you nothttp://ancienthistory.about.com/od/g...dgoddesses.htm
                  Originally posted by Doug Shaver View Post

To seer
                  Chortle!
                  Last edited by Tassman; 05-20-2014, 03:59 AM.

Comment

But you only pushed the problem back one degree. If "Natural Law" dictates behavior then the atheist is in the same boat.

To shunyadragon.
                    Last edited by Tassman; 05-20-2014, 04:01 AM.

Comment

I bow to your superior wisdom Doug, so in plain English, you said: For me to count anything as evidence, it has to be an objective fact.

Do you believe that statement is true? If yes, then you do believe things to be true apart from evidence - correct?

Comment

• But Tass, you agree that my experience of having tea the other morning was evidence for that event. But that would not live up to your "dictionary" definition. So you actually agree that "dictionary" definition is arbitrary, or at least it is terribly restrictive. BTW - being in the dictionary does not make it any less arbitrary.

Hence, what you have repeatedly presented is NOT "evidence" to anyone except yourself. It is your personal testimony regarding beliefs pertaining to the cultural deity of Judeo/Christianity and his alleged messengers and prophets. ALL religions have their devout adherents and sacred writings, why should yours get preferential treatment?
                        I'm not telling you to prefer anything.

Goodness no, the point of the quote was to confirm you in your atheism.

Chortle!
                        You don't even want to go there. How many times has Leonhard (who understands the intricacies of the laws of logic better than you or I) pointed our your logical blunders?

Comment

But Tass, you agree that my experience of having tea the other morning was evidence for that event. But that would not live up to your "dictionary" definition. So you actually agree that "dictionary" definition is arbitrary, or at least it is terribly restrictive. BTW - being in the dictionary does not make it any less arbitrary.
                          The experience of drinking tea, would be testimony, yes testimony is a form of evidence, but not easily verified unless of course we perform an autopsy soon after the tea has been consumed. The results of the autopsy would be verifiable evidence.
                          Last edited by shunyadragon; 05-20-2014, 08:21 AM.

Comment

• Originally posted by shunyadragon View Post
                            The experience of drinking tea, would be testimony, yes testimony is a form of evidence, but not easily verified unless of course we perform an autopsy soon after the tea has been consumed. The results of the autopsy would be verifiable evidence.
                            I'm not dead yet! But, you would not necessarily know when I actually I drank the tea, the actual hour. The point is, whether it is verified or not my tea drinking event is a much a fact of history as any other fact of history.
                            Last edited by seer; 05-20-2014, 09:08 AM.

Comment

• Hello Teallaura,

It was a biggie. No wonder "phew".

It will take me a few days to respond. Rather than doing a point by point, which will simply blow everything out well beyond the posting limit, I'll talk to the notion as per the title (namely that it is not necessarily a good thing, it can be harmful). That is, I'm looking at the practical outcomes of the concept.

By way of doing so, I'll cover several important points you make.

Regards, Roland

Comment

• Cool. Take as long as you need.
                                "He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep to gain that which he cannot lose." - Jim Elliot

"Forgiveness is the way of love." Gary Chapman

My Personal Blog

My Novella blog (Current Novella Begins on 7/25/14)

Quill Sword

Comment