Announcement

Collapse

Apologetics 301 Guidelines

If you think this is the area where you tell everyone you are sorry for eating their lunch out of the fridge, it probably isn't the place for you

This forum is open discussion between atheists and all theists to defend and debate their views on religion or non-religion. Please respect that this is a Christian-owned forum and refrain from gratuitous blasphemy. VERY wide leeway is given in range of expression and allowable behavior as compared to other areas of the forum, and moderation is not overly involved unless necessary. Please keep this in mind. Atheists who wish to interact with theists in a way that does not seek to undermine theistic faith may participate in the World Religions Department. Non-debate question and answers and mild and less confrontational discussions can take place in General Theistics.

Forum Rules: Here
See more
See less

A concept of objective morality is not necessarily a good thing. It can be harmful.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Doug Shaver View Post
    Lawyers may concern themselves with a distinction between circumstances and eyewitness testimony. I don't.

Circumstantial evidence is some set of facts that, according to some accuser, establish a high probability that some person is guilty of some crime. According to TV scriptwriters, we're supposed to think that such facts don't actually prove anything, whereas eyewitness testimony would prove something. But the law requires only that guilt be established beyond reasonable doubt (in criminal cases), and circumstances can do that just as well as anyone's testimony.

I make no distinction because if someone testifies to something, then what I have is the fact of their testimony, i.e., it is a fact that they said such-and-such. That makes it evidence for whatever their testimony alleges. Depending on any number of other facts, I may consider their say-so proof beyond reasonable doubt, or I may think that it leaves lots of room for reasonable doubt.

That's stupid - eye witness testimony isn't circumstantial evidence. It's direct evidence. Ignoring the fact that you are drawing your evidentiary procedures from bad TV writing, circumstantial evidence can be substantiated by any form of evidence: eye witness, documentary and DNA, among many. DNA evidence is NOT always direct evidence because its presence only indicates someone has been present - it doesn't tell us when or under what circumstances.

Failure to understand how evidence works leads to misapplying bad evidence and throwing out perfectly good evidence. You are doing the latter.
    "He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep to gain that which he cannot lose." - Jim Elliot

"Forgiveness is the way of love." Gary Chapman

My Personal Blog

My Novella blog (Current Novella Begins on 7/25/14)

Quill Sword

Comment

• Originally posted by shunyadragon View Post
      It would not be a necessarily verifiable fact of history, like any other fact in history.
      But it doesn't have to be "verifiable" to be a fact of history, as much a fact of history as any other fact of history.
      Atheism is the cult of death, the death of hope. The universe is doomed, you are doomed, the only thing that remains is to await your execution...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jbnueb2OI4o&t=3s

Comment

• Originally posted by Tassman View Post
        It is YOU
        No I'm not, didn't you already agree that my experience of morning tea is evidence of that event? This is why your definition is both arbitrary and restrictive - it would not cover a great deal of events we experience in our lives. And if God communicated to men that would be historical and personal. It would not fall under your arbitrary definition, nor would it need to to be true.
        Atheism is the cult of death, the death of hope. The universe is doomed, you are doomed, the only thing that remains is to await your execution...

Comment

• Originally posted by seer View Post
          No I'm not, didn't you already agree that my experience of morning tea is evidence of that event?
          Actually, your experience of morning tea is evidence that you think you had morning tea. A dirty tea cup in your sink would be evidence that you actually had morning tea. ;)

Comment

What I said, the only thing I said, was a statement about what I believe the word "evidence" to mean. In this context, "definition" is just a different label for meaning: a definition is a statement of what a word means, and my statement was nothing but that.
            But your statement is the standard that you are using. It can not be supported by objective fact, so it isn't evidence. Therefore you do believe things to be true (your statement) apart from evidence.
            Last edited by seer; 05-22-2014, 09:10 AM.

Comment

• Originally posted by robertb View Post
              Actually, your experience of morning tea is evidence that you think you had morning tea. A dirty tea cup in your sink would be evidence that you actually had morning tea. ;)
              Nope, the dirty tea cup could be from someone else, or I could have been from the day before (not evidence that I had tea this AM). And if you are correct then my seeing the dirty tea cup in the sink is only me thinking I see dirty tea cup in the sink. Everything we do see or say is filtered through our personal experience - there is nothing else.

Comment

Nope, the dirty tea cup could be from someone else, or I could have been from the day before (not evidence that I had tea this AM). And if you are correct then my seeing the dirty tea cup in the sink is only me thinking I see dirty tea cup in the sink. Everything we do see or say is filtered through our personal experience - there is nothing else.
                Yea, but not really what I was getting at. I was referring to your experience as evidence to someone other than yourself.

Comment

Yea, but not really what I was getting at. I was referring to your experience as evidence to someone other than yourself.
                  I'm not asking for anyone else to confirm my experience, and the lack of that does not make the experience any less a fact of history.

Comment

I'm not asking for anyone else to confirm my experience, and the lack of that does not make the experience any less a fact of history.
                    Using the word "fact" loosely, I suppose.

Comment

Using the word "fact" loosely, I suppose.
                      Why? Why isn't my tea drinking experience just as much a fact of history as any other fact?

Comment

• Originally posted by Teallaura View Post
                        That's stupid - eye witness testimony isn't circumstantial evidence. It's direct evidence.
                        The distinction may be relevant in a court of law. It is not relevant to my epistemology.

Originally posted by Teallaura View Post
                        Ignoring the fact that you are drawing your evidentiary procedures from bad TV writing
                        That is not what I drew from TV writing. I drew my evidentiary procedures from a website maintained by lawyers.

Originally posted by Teallaura View Post
                        Failure to understand how evidence works leads to misapplying bad evidence and throwing out perfectly good evidence. You are doing the latter.
                        You say so. What I'm actually doing is disagreeing with you about what constitutes good evidence.

Comment

But your statement is the standard that you are using.
                          I will decide what my statement was intended to convey. If you think I was trying to say anything else, you misunderstood it.

Comment

Why? Why isn't my tea drinking experience just as much a fact of history as any other fact?
                            It's an historical fact that you had the eXperience of drinking tea, not an historical fact that you actually drank tea. A difference and an important one in the context of this conversation.

Comment

I will decide what my statement was intended to convey. If you think I was trying to say anything else, you misunderstood it.
                              Is your statement an objective fact or evidence based?

Comment

It's an historical fact that you had the eXperience of drinking tea, not an historical fact that you actually drank tea. A difference and an important one in the context of this conversation.
                                Really? Why doesn't my experience of drinking tea prove that I actually drank tea?

Comment