Announcement

Collapse

Apologetics 301 Guidelines

If you think this is the area where you tell everyone you are sorry for eating their lunch out of the fridge, it probably isn't the place for you

This forum is open discussion between atheists and all theists to defend and debate their views on religion or non-religion. Please respect that this is a Christian-owned forum and refrain from gratuitous blasphemy. VERY wide leeway is given in range of expression and allowable behavior as compared to other areas of the forum, and moderation is not overly involved unless necessary. Please keep this in mind. Atheists who wish to interact with theists in a way that does not seek to undermine theistic faith may participate in the World Religions Department. Non-debate question and answers and mild and less confrontational discussions can take place in General Theistics.

Forum Rules: Here
See more
See less

Deconstruction

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Deconstruction

This term seems to be popping up more and more lately, usually (in my experience) with regards to Christian Music Artists who have left the faith.

I have watched several podcasts on this, and they usually feature a once well known Christian Artist who, after reflecting on the religion he/she knew growing up, decided they didn't believe that anymore.

On the contrary, I have seen several accounts where somebody "deconstructs" their faith "in a good way" -- like looking at what they were taught growing up, comparing it with Scripture, and tossing out some of the "tradition" and "religion" aspects, but becoming stronger in the faith.

It appears that the difference (and I'm still examining this) is....
    The "bad" deconstruction seems to be more about looking at the Bible and deciding there are parts that are troublesome, so those must be discarded - kind of using one's own "moral compass" to determine what's "true".
    The "good" deconstruction seems to be more about looking at "what I grew up with", comparing it to what the Bible actually says, and ending up being stronger in the faith.

Just some initial observations.
    The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post
    This term seems to be popping up more and more lately, usually (in my experience) with regards to Christian Music Artists who have left the faith.

I have watched several podcasts on this, and they usually feature a once well known Christian Artist who, after reflecting on the religion he/she knew growing up, decided they didn't believe that anymore.

On the contrary, I have seen several accounts where somebody "deconstructs" their faith "in a good way" -- like looking at what they were taught growing up, comparing it with Scripture, and tossing out some of the "tradition" and "religion" aspects, but becoming stronger in the faith.

The "bad" deconstruction seems to be more about looking at the Bible and deciding there are parts that are troublesome, so those must be discarded - kind of using one's own "moral compass" to determine what's "true".
    The "good" deconstruction seems to be more about looking at "what I grew up with", comparing it to what the Bible actually says, and ending up being stronger in the faith.

The bad deconstruction looks like Cafeteria Christianity on steroids.

I'm always still in trouble again

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
    "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
    "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

Originally posted by rogue06 View Post
      The bad deconstruction looks like Cafeteria Christianity on steroids.
      EGGzackly how I described it last night to our group! Those words exactly!
      The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

With regards to the Christian Artists who "deconstructed" (sounds less bad than apostatized), several comments.

One of them who almost deconstructed realized that, when she was singing in her home Church, she had a Pastor and congregation to whom she was accountable.
        When she "went on the road", her only "accountability" was to other performers who really didn't have any accountability either, so she began a downward spiral.
        Fortunately, in her case, she woke up and realized what was happening, and came back to her faith.

In several other examples, the "Christian Artist" was somebody who could "perform well", but not quite good enough for the secular audience, but was "good enough" for the Christian Music circuit.
        The "performer" wasn't necessarily a solid Christian, but the Christian audiences provided the audience they needed.

Comment

In several other examples, the "Christian Artist" was somebody who could "perform well", but not quite good enough for the secular audience, but was "good enough" for the Christian Music circuit.
          The "performer" wasn't necessarily a solid Christian, but the Christian audiences provided the audience they needed.
          An unfortunate turn of phrase implying that Christian audiences are less discerning than secular audiences, which given the quality of some religious choirs is rather unkind.

"It ain't necessarily so
          The things that you're liable
          To read in the Bible
          It ain't necessarily so
          ."

Sportin' Life
          Porgy & Bess, DuBose Heyward, George & Ira Gershwin

Comment

Originally posted by Hypatia_Alexandria View Post
            An unfortunate turn of phrase implying that Christian audiences are less discerning than secular audiences,
            I don't think it's that so much as it is that most churches - with the exception of megachurches - can't afford the "big names".

which given the quality of some religious choirs is rather unkind.
            Fewer and fewer churches in America have choirs - most seem to be turning to "praise bands" and "worship pastors" and groups.

Comment

Great topic, CP! Glad to see you post here.

I’m sure you won’t be surprised that I don’t see it as so binary. A person can grow up with an accurate Orthodox Christian understanding of things that seems a bit dicey, compare it with what the Bible actually says and the dicey feeling doesn’t go away upon inspection. Your view assumes the deeper analysis necessarily results in fortified faith when it can easily go the other way and exaggerate cognitive dissonance issues.

Comment

I don't think it's that so much as it is that most churches - with the exception of megachurches - can't afford the "big names".

Fewer and fewer churches in America have choirs - most seem to be turning to "praise bands" and "worship pastors" and groups.
                I was thinking more the Tabernacle choir, King's College Cambridge, UK, or the Munich Cathedral choir. The above you cite sound ghastly.
                "It ain't necessarily so
                The things that you're liable
                To read in the Bible
                It ain't necessarily so
                ."

Sportin' Life
                Porgy & Bess, DuBose Heyward, George & Ira Gershwin

Comment

Originally posted by Hypatia_Alexandria View Post

I was thinking more the Tabernacle choir, King's College Cambridge, UK, or the Munich Cathedral choir. The above you cite sound ghastly.
                  In my opinion, "Church Music" in so many Churches in America is downright sad.

Comment

Originally posted by whag View Post

Great topic, CP! Glad to see you post here.

I’m sure you won’t be surprised that I don’t see it as so binary.
                    Nor do I - this is pretty new to me.

A person can grow up with an accurate Orthodox Christian
                    OK, clarification needed... when we capitalize Orthodox, we're referring specifically to a segment of Christianity.
                    When spelled with a small "o", it refers to "orthodox" as opposed to "unorthodox".
                    Were you intending the former?

understanding of things that seems a bit dicey, compare it with what the Bible actually says and the dicey feeling doesn’t go away upon inspection. Your view assumes the deeper analysis necessarily results in fortified faith when it can easily go the other way and exaggerate cognitive dissonance issues.
                    OK, ya lost me, because the "deconstruction" that I mentioned was first about those who were abandoning their faith after their "deconstruction" analysis.
                    My very first sentence is about "Christian Music Artists who have left the faith".

Comment

Nor do I - this is pretty new to me.

OK, clarification needed... when we capitalize Orthodox, we're referring specifically to a segment of Christianity.
                      When spelled with a small "o", it refers to "orthodox" as opposed to "unorthodox".
                      Were you intending the former?

OK, ya lost me, because the "deconstruction" that I mentioned was first about those who were abandoning their faith after their "deconstruction" analysis.
                      My very first sentence is about "Christian Music Artists who have left the faith".
                      I meant orthodox as in not off-the-reservation Christianity.

I see you meant very specific deconstruction by famous Christian musicians. I’m not familiar with their stories, so I’ll bow out (until I get sucked back in via the inevitable derail).

Comment

Originally posted by whag View Post

I meant orthodox as in not off-the-reservation Christianity.

I see you meant very specific deconstruction by famous Christian musicians.
                        Well, that's where it first caught my attention, then I started digging into it.

I’m not familiar with their stories, so I’ll bow out (until I get sucked back in via the inevitable derail).
                        You're welcome to stay.

Comment

I am highly opposed to the term "deconstruction". Any good object-oriented programmer knows that the opposite of a constructor (to create an object in RAM) is a destructor (releasing it back to the operating system). Therefore, the term ought to be "destruction."

But in all seriousness, it is sad to see professing believers turn away, rejecting the Christ they once claimed to love, and then make futile attempts to excuse their doing so.
                          ~ Russell ("MelMak")

"[Sing] and [make] melody in your heart to the Lord." -- Ephesians 5:19b

Fight spam!

Comment

Originally posted by The Melody Maker View Post
                            I am highly opposed to the term "deconstruction". Any good object-oriented programmer knows that the opposite of a constructor (to create an object in RAM) is a destructor (releasing it back to the operating system). Therefore, the term ought to be "destruction."

But in all seriousness, it is sad to see professing believers turn away, rejecting the Christ they once claimed to love, and then make futile attempts to excuse their doing so.
                            I think there's an added element that they made, in some cases, BIG BUCKS off of their music careers in Christian music, then, in some cases, they just move into secular music and still make money.

Comment

In my opinion, "Church Music" in so many Churches in America is downright sad.
                              Should hear the choir at Grace Community sometime. And the congregational music is wonderful, as it is in my local church.

Securely anchored to the Rock amid every storm of trial, testing or tribulation.

Comment