Announcement

Collapse

Theology 201 Guidelines

This is the forum to discuss the spectrum of views within Christianity on God's foreknowledge and election such as Calvinism, Arminianism, Molinism, Open Theism, Process Theism, Restrictivism, and Inclusivism, Christian Universalism and what these all are about anyway. Who is saved and when is/was their salvation certain? How does God exercise His sovereignty and how powerful is He? Is God timeless and immutable? Does a triune God help better understand God's love for mankind?

While this area is for the discussion of these doctrines within historic Christianity, all theists interested in discussing these areas within the presuppositions of and respect for the Christian framework are welcome to participate here. This is not the area for debate between nontheists and theists, additionally, there may be some topics that within the Moderator's discretion fall so outside the bounds of mainstream evangelical doctrine that may be more appropriately placed within Comparative Religions 101 Nontheists seeking only theistic participation only in a manner that does not seek to undermine the faith of others are also welcome - but we ask that Moderator approval be obtained beforehand.

Atheists are welcome to discuss and debate these issues in the Apologetics 301 or General Theistics 101 forum without such restrictions. Theists who wish to discuss these issues outside the parameters of orthodox Christian doctrine are invited to Unorthodox Theology 201.

Remember, our forum rules apply here as well. If you haven't read them now would be a good time.

Forum Rules: Here
See more
See less

Is ordination of women to be Pastors [Overseer/Bishop] orthodox?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post
    Did not.

Well, if anybody was posting a position that women should never be leaders, you MIGHT have a point!

(it's alright folks - she's my brother! )
    I am not! I am a G-I-R-L! I cannot be a brother.

Face it, you've got a sister.
    "He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep to gain that which he cannot lose." - Jim Elliot

"Forgiveness is the way of love." Gary Chapman

My Personal Blog

My Novella blog (Current Novella Begins on 7/25/14)

Quill Sword

Comment

• Originally posted by Teallaura View Post
      I am not! I am a G-I-R-L! I cannot be a brother.

Face it, you've got a sister.
      Yeah, Bro -- whatever you say.
      The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

Yeah, Bro -- whatever you say.
        C'mere...
        "He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep to gain that which he cannot lose." - Jim Elliot

My Personal Blog

Quill Sword

Comment

• Originally posted by Pentecost View Post
          If I wasn't clear I was trying to convey that this isn't some new movement within the A/G, since 1935 we've ordained women.

I found a link where the A/G General Superintendent George O. Wood talked about the SBC position on female ordination and I think it's interesting. http://enrichmentjournal.ag.org/2001..._exploring.cfm
          While it is absolutely true that we (I'm A/G as well you know...) have been ordaining women for a long time...most of them end up as missionaries. It's extremely rare, even today, to find a female senior/head or sole pastor of an A/G church.

ETA, that's a great article btw!
          "What has the Church gained if it is popular, but there is no conviction, no repentance, no power?" - A.W. Tozer

"... there are two parties in Washington, the stupid party and the evil party, who occasionally get together and do something both stupid and evil, and this is called bipartisanship." - Everett Dirksen

Comment

C'mere...
            Nope. Every time you say that, I wake up next week.
            The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

It is, however, good supporting evidence. A judge of Israel is unquestionably a leadership role - which brings into question the conclusion that women should never be leaders.
              Hmmm . . . is Judge Judy (on the tv) a leader, then? I think the ancient Israeli judge performed quite like Judge Judy.

Comment

• Originally posted by Truthseeker View Post
                Hmmm . . . is Judge Judy (on the tv) a leader, then? I think the ancient Israeli judge performed quite like Judge Judy.
                I don't think Judge Judy ever commanded an army though. So yeah, not the same.
                "Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience." ― C.S. Lewis, God in the Dock: Essays on Theology (Making of Modern Theology)

Comment

OK, going to bring up a very sensitive issue regarding this, and I'd appreciate everybody responding in an appropriate Christian manner.

ONE of the concerns - often unspoken - of conservative Christian leaders regarding female pastors is that it seems to be tied - either purposely or coincidentally - with the push to accept gay / lesbian lifestyles in the leadership of the Church.
                  Short answer: eisegetical gymnastics to insert one contemporary ideology is good practice for insertions of other ideologies.

Most people who support women's ordination don't do so because Scripture allows it, but because in this modern day and age we have been Enlightened by egalitarianism. The motivation is not primarily to follow Scripture but to harmonise Scripture with the contemporary cultural norms; so as with feminism, also LGBT normalisation.

Comment

Um, Deborah went on a campaign with Barak.
                    Deborah wasn't supposed to go, and Barak was punished for asking her to do so.

Comment

Nope. Every time you say that, I wake up next week.
                      You said 'whatever you say' and I said 'c'mere' so do like you promised and c'mere!

My Personal Blog

Quill Sword

Comment

• Originally posted by Paprika View Post
                        Deborah wasn't supposed to go, and Barak was punished for asking her to do so.
                        Granted (caveat - Barak insisted she go along, he didn't merely ask) but there's not a lot in Scripture that outlines what responsibilities a judge of Israel should have beyond settling disputes. There's nothing explicit that requires a judge also be general so the whole point was off, anyway.

My Personal Blog

Quill Sword

Comment

I think the biggest problem - and obstacle - is that too many people get 'ordination of women' and 'women's rights' confused. NO ONE - male or female - has a right to be ordained. Ordination is a calling, privilege, duty and ministry - it is not a right. Whether or not a woman may be ordained rests entirely in whether or not God, via Scripture, says so. In my opinion, Scripture supports female ordination. I know I haven't seriously engaged CP on this one - time being what it is and my present state of mind, I don't want to argue this too strongly - but the only passage that is truly problematic is the one in Timothy - and I think the case that Paul is referring to a specific person, not a general rule, is reasonable. On the whole, Scripture is incredibly egalitarian where women are concerned - it is strange to assume that it shifts direction on this one point.

But that is a long, painstaking argument and I'm not up for it right now. Maybe later this year.
                          Did we debate the Timothy passage back on the old TWeb? For some reason I think we might have.

I agree that the Timothy passage is the most 'problematic' for full blown female led churches. That being said, there is also evidence that women did occupy positions of leadership in the early church. It is interesting to see where each church draws the lines...

e.g.

no female leadership, some female leadership, total female leadership...

Comment

• Originally posted by phat8594 View Post
                            Did we debate the Timothy passage back on the old TWeb? For some reason I think we might have.

I agree that the Timothy passage is the most 'problematic' for full blown female led churches. That being said, there is also evidence that women did occupy positions of leadership in the early church. It is interesting to see where each church draws the lines...

e.g.

no female leadership, some female leadership, total female leadership...

I don't recall debating it.

My Personal Blog

Quill Sword

Comment

Granted (caveat - Barak insisted she go along, he didn't merely ask) but there's not a lot in Scripture that outlines what responsibilities a judge of Israel should have beyond settling disputes. There's nothing explicit that requires a judge also be general so the whole point was off, anyway.
                              All five of the other Judges led military campaigns.

Comment

• Originally posted by phat8594 View Post
                                ... I agree that the Timothy passage is the most 'problematic' for full blown female led churches. ...
                                I don't find it that problematic. Aside from the general cultural parameters of the author and communities of the time, the emphasis in the Greek word order indicates that the intent was to eliminate polygamy among episcopoi, who are indeed being thought of as male, but not to emphasize male sex as opposed to female sex with respect to eligibility. Polygamy was a practice among some upper classes, but polyandry was not an issue.
                                אָכֵ֕ן אַתָּ֖ה אֵ֣ל מִסְתַּתֵּ֑ר אֱלֹהֵ֥י יִשְׂרָאֵ֖ל מוֹשִֽׁיעַ׃

Comment

widgetinstance 221 (Related Threads) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                                Working...
                                X