Announcement

Collapse

Ecclesiology 201 Guidelines

Discussion on matters of general mainstream Christian churches. What are the differences between Catholics and protestants? How has the charismatic movement affected the church? Are Southern baptists different from fundamentalist baptists? It is also for discussions about the nature of the church.

This forum is primarily for Christians to discuss matters of Christian doctrine, and is not the area for debate between atheists (or those opposing orthodox Christianity) and theists. Inquiring atheists (or sincere seekers/doubters/unorthodox) seeking only Christian participation and having demonstrated a manner that does not seek to undermine the orthodox Christian faith of others are also welcome, but must seek Moderator permission first. When defining 'Christian' for purposes of this section, we mean persons holding to the core essentials of the historic Christian faith such as the Trinity, the Creatorship of God, the virgin birth, the bodily resurrection of Christ, the atonement, the future bodily return of Christ, the future bodily resurrection of the just and the unjust, and the final judgment. Persons not holding to these core doctrines are welcome to participate in the Comparative Religions section without restriction, in Theology 201 as regards to the nature of God and salvation with limited restrictions, and in Christology for issues surrounding the person of Christ and the Trinity. Atheists are welcome to discuss and debate these issues in the Apologetics 301 forum without such restrictions. Additionally, there may be some topics that within the Moderator's discretion fall so outside the bounds of mainstream orthodox doctrine that may be more appropriately placed within Comparative Religions 101.

Forum Rules: Here
See more
See less

Praying to Mary is worshiping Mary

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I knew Matt Slick was inconsistent, but he can at least try to keep himself consistent within the same article.
    Give the bloke a break - the article is more than two sentences long.
    1Cor 15:34 Come to your senses as you ought and stop sinning; for I say to your shame, there are some who know not God.
    ⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛
    Scripture before Tradition:
    but that won't prevent others from
    taking it upon themselves to deprive you
    of the right to call yourself Christian.

⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛

Comment

• He points out the obvious as well...nowhere does any passage teach prayers are to be given "to" the saints.

Comment

• I look forward to the response to the question I asked in Post #386.

Comment

• HelpsStrongsλατρεύω; future λατρεύσω; 1 aorist ἐλάτρευσα; (λάτρις a hireling, Latinlatro in Ennius and Plautus; λάτρον hire); in Greek writings a. to serve for hire;

b. universally, to serve, minister to, either gods or men, and used alike of slaves and of freemen; in the N. T. to render religious service or homage, to worship

BDAGλατρεύω fut. λατρεύσω; 1 aor. ἐλάτρευσα (trag. et al. in var. senses, ‘work for pay, be in servitude, render cultic service’;
          1Cor 15:34 Come to your senses as you ought and stop sinning; for I say to your shame, there are some who know not God.
          ⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛

⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛

Comment

• a. The ministry denoted by latreuein is always offered to God (or to heathen gods...R. 1:25...Ac. 7:42) (TDNT 4:62, latreuo, Strathmann).
            b. In Biblical Greek always refers to the service of the true God or of heathen deities (The Vocabulary of the Greek Testament, James Hope Moulton and George Milligan, WM.B. Eerdmans Publishing Co., Grand Rapids, Michigan, copyright 1982, page 371).
            c. As used in the New Testament, the word latreuo denotes actions that are always evaluated positively when God is the grammatical object and negatively with reference to any other object (Karen H. Jobes in Moises Silva's "Biblical Words and Their Meaning: An Introduction to Lexical Semantics", copyright 1994 revised and expanded edition from 1983, Zondervan Publishing House, Grand Rapids, Michigan, page 203).

Still waiting for an answer to my question in Post #386.

Comment

• a. The ministry denoted by latreuein is always offered to God (or to heathen gods...R. 1:25...Ac. 7:42) (TDNT 4:62, latreuo, Strathmann).
              b. In Biblical Greek always refers to the service of the true God or of heathen deities (The Vocabulary of the Greek Testament, James Hope Moulton and George Milligan, WM.B. Eerdmans Publishing Co., Grand Rapids, Michigan, copyright 1982, page 371).
              c. As used in the New Testament, the word latreuo denotes actions that are always evaluated positively when God is the grammatical object and negatively with reference to any other object (Karen H. Jobes in Moises Silva's "Biblical Words and Their Meaning: An Introduction to Lexical Semantics", copyright 1994 revised and expanded edition from 1983, Zondervan Publishing House, Grand Rapids, Michigan, page 203).
              None of these define or even mention prayer in connection with λατρευω.
              I'm too polite to give the only appropriate response to post 386
              ⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛

⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛

Comment

• I wasn't sure of your point of your previous post. In Post #386 prayer is used in connection with latreuo (see TDNT).
                -
                Too polite? No, too stupid -you just can't answer the question in Post #386.
                Last edited by foudroyant; 08-01-2014, 08:29 PM.

Comment

• Originally posted by foudroyant View Post
                  Focus on the minors and notr the majors again.

Nothing says the prayers are directed "to" the saints.
                  The prayers 'to' the Saints are all formal requests for them to intercede prayer on our behalf. We aren't actually praying to them, in the same way we pray to God.
                  Better to illuminate than merely to shine, to deliver to others contemplated truths than merely to contemplate.

-Thomas Aquinas

I love to travel, But hate to arrive.

-Hernando Cortez

What is the good of experience if you do not reflect?

-Frederick 2, Holy Roman Emperor

Comment

• Where does it teach they are interceding?
                    How do you not pray to them in the same way you pray to God?

Barnes: In Revelation 8:3, an angel is represented as having a golden censer: “And there was given unto him much incense, that he should offer it with the prayers of all saints upon the golden altar which was before the throne." The representation there undoubtedly is, that the angel is employed in presenting the prayers of the saints which were offered on earth before the throne. See the notes on that passage. It is most natural to interpret the passage before us in the same way. The allusion is clearly to the temple service, and to the fact that incense was offered by the priest in the temple itself at the time that prayer was offered by the people in the courts of the temple. See Luke 1:9-10. The idea here is, therefore, that the representatives of the church in heaven - the elders - spoken of as “priests” Revelation 5:10, are described as officiating in the temple above in behalf of the church still below, and as offering incense while the church is engaged in prayer.
                    http://www.studylight.org/commentari...cgi?bk=65&ch=5
                    Last edited by foudroyant; 08-01-2014, 08:49 PM.

Comment

• Where does it teach they are interceding?
                      See my previous post.

How do you not pray to them in the same way you pray to God?
                      The prayers to them are formal requests for the Saints to intercede prayer on our behalf, it's not for the purpose of worship that prayers like "Our Father" are.

It is most natural to interpret the passage before us in the same way.
                      Eh, no. While it contains similar imagery, these events, by Barnes' own admission, took place 'before' the throne, so they both cannot be talking about the same thing here.

Revelation 5:10, are described as officiating in the temple above in behalf of the church still below, and as offering incense while the church is engaged in prayer.
                      Oh, I see, so when it says they're offering "The prayers of the Saints" what it 'really' means is that they're just offering plain incense at the same time the Church below is. Except
                      Better to illuminate than merely to shine, to deliver to others contemplated truths than merely to contemplate.

-Thomas Aquinas

-Hernando Cortez

Comment

• Ignoring Foudroyant's flagrant breaches of civility.

Timeless Theist: What is the rationale for praying to the saints? The Lord's prayer would seem to make it superfluous at best.
                        ⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛

⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛

Comment

• Originally posted by tabibito View Post
                          Ignoring Foudroyant's flagrant breaches of civility.

Timeless Theist: What is the rationale for praying to the saints? The Lord's prayer would seem to make it superfluous at best.
                          Both to show reverance to them (NOT worshiping them. Showing respect to someone isn't worship) and to have them intercede to God on our behalf on important matters. Of course, no praying to Saints is ever required, with the exception of the reverence of Mary and Michael The Archangel during Mass, as that's Church tradition, though it's by no means against doctrine for the Church to write a Missal that has no mention of Mary, or any of the other Saints, in it.

-Thomas Aquinas

-Hernando Cortez

Comment

Ignoring Foudroyant's flagrant breaches of civility.

I intended to post something detailed about this today, but I got lazy. Apologies.
                            Don't call it a comeback. It's a riposte.

Comment

• Originally posted by TimelessTheist View Post
                              Both to show reverance to them (NOT worshiping them. Showing respect to someone isn't worship) and to have them intercede to God on our behalf on important matters. Of course, no praying to Saints is ever required, with the exception of the reverence of Mary and Michael The Archangel during Mass, as that's Church tradition, though it's by no means against doctrine for the Church to write a Missal that has no mention of Mary, or any of the other Saints, in it.
                              OK - you're defining reverence as respect. Respect and admiration is a good thing, but it can be shown without direct prayer. Still, I can't find any direct evidence that would prohibit the practice, and certainly Foudroyant has failed to produce anything from either from the Bible or his alternate scriptures.
                              On balance, I see it as skating thin ice, and without any compelling reason to do so, but without sufficient evidence to oppose it (to date.)
                              ⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛

⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛

Comment

OK - you're defining reverence as respect. Respect and admiration is a good thing, but it can be shown without direct prayer. Still, I can't find any direct evidence that would prohibit the practice, and certainly Foudroyant has failed to produce anything from either from the Bible or his alternate scriptures.
                                On balance, I see it as skating thin ice, and without any compelling reason to do so, but without sufficient evidence to oppose it (to date.)
                                Well, actually, there's a be-all, end-all verse supporting it in 2 Maccabees...but Protestants deny that said book is historically valid, so that would pretty much be pointless.
                                Last edited by TimelessTheist; 08-01-2014, 10:20 PM.

-Thomas Aquinas

-Hernando Cortez

Comment