Announcement

Collapse

Ecclesiology 201 Guidelines

Discussion on matters of general mainstream Christian churches. What are the differences between Catholics and protestants? How has the charismatic movement affected the church? Are Southern baptists different from fundamentalist baptists? It is also for discussions about the nature of the church.

This forum is primarily for Christians to discuss matters of Christian doctrine, and is not the area for debate between atheists (or those opposing orthodox Christianity) and theists. Inquiring atheists (or sincere seekers/doubters/unorthodox) seeking only Christian participation and having demonstrated a manner that does not seek to undermine the orthodox Christian faith of others are also welcome, but must seek Moderator permission first. When defining 'Christian' for purposes of this section, we mean persons holding to the core essentials of the historic Christian faith such as the Trinity, the Creatorship of God, the virgin birth, the bodily resurrection of Christ, the atonement, the future bodily return of Christ, the future bodily resurrection of the just and the unjust, and the final judgment. Persons not holding to these core doctrines are welcome to participate in the Comparative Religions section without restriction, in Theology 201 as regards to the nature of God and salvation with limited restrictions, and in Christology for issues surrounding the person of Christ and the Trinity. Atheists are welcome to discuss and debate these issues in the Apologetics 301 forum without such restrictions. Additionally, there may be some topics that within the Moderator's discretion fall so outside the bounds of mainstream orthodox doctrine that may be more appropriately placed within Comparative Religions 101.

Forum Rules: Here
See more
See less

Praying to Mary is worshiping Mary

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hopefully you have a Bible so look it up.
    I affirm that prayer can not be divorced from latreuo in every passage I cited in Post #386 from the writings of Luke.
    Last edited by foudroyant; 08-02-2014, 08:59 PM.

Comment

• Originally posted by foudroyant View Post
      Hopefully you have a Bible so look it up.
      I affirm that in everyone prayer can not be divorced from latreuo in every passage I cited in Post #386 from the wrings of Luke.
      I looked it up. I even used blueletterbible.org to verify the Greek. I didn't see prayer mentioned anywhere near any of the verses other than Luke 2:37. That would be why I asked you to provide proof.
      Veritas vos Liberabit<>< Learn Greek <>< Look here for an Orthodox Church in America<><Ancient Faith Radio
      sigpic
      I recommend you do not try too hard and ...research as little as possible. Such weighty things give me a headache. - Shunyadragon, Baha'i apologist

Comment

• Let's go one passage at a time.

Choose one.

Comment

Let's go one passage at a time.

Choose one.
          Why not start with the first?
          Veritas vos Liberabit<>< Learn Greek <>< Look here for an Orthodox Church in America<><Ancient Faith Radio
          sigpic
          I recommend you do not try too hard and ...research as little as possible. Such weighty things give me a headache. - Shunyadragon, Baha'i apologist

Comment

• The first I listed or the first that appears in Luke's writings?

Comment

Hopefully you have a Bible so look it up.
              I affirm that prayer can not be divorced from latreuo in every passage I cited in Post #386 from the writings of Luke.
              you will worship, καὶ αὐτῷ μόνῳ λατρεύσεις you will serve.

Luke 1:74 ἀφόβως, ἐκ χειρὸς τῶν ἐχθρῶν ἡμῶν ῥυσθέντας, λατρεύειν to serve αὐτῷ - no mention of prayer or worship.

Acts 7:42 Ἔστρεψεν δὲ ὁ θεός, καὶ παρέδωκεν αὐτοὺς λατρεύειν to serve τῇ στρατιᾷ τοῦ οὐρανοῦ
              Hebrews 9:14 πόσῳ μᾶλλον τὸ αἷμα τοῦ χριστοῦ, ὃς διὰ πνεύματος αἰωνίου ἑαυτὸν προσήνεγκεν ἄμωμον τῷ θεῷ, καθαριεῖ τὴν συνείδησιν ὑμῶν ἀπὸ νεκρῶν ἔργων, εἰς τὸ λατρεύειν to serve θεῷ ζῶντι
              Acts 24:14 οὕτως λατρεύω do serve τῷ πατρῴῳ θεῷ, πιστεύων πᾶσιν τοῖς κατὰ τὸν νόμον καὶ τοῖς προφήταις γεγραμμένοις
              Acts 27:23 Παρέστη γάρ μοι ταύτῃ τῇ νυκτὶ ἄγγελος τοῦ θεοῦ, οὗ εἰμι, ᾧ καὶ λατρεύω do serve,
              Romans 1:9 Μάρτυς γάρ μού ἐστιν ὁ θεός, ᾧ λατρεύω do serve ἐν τῷ πνεύματί μου ἐν τῷ εὐαγγελίῳ τοῦ υἱοῦ αὐτοῦ, ὡς ἀδιαλείπτως μνείαν ὑμῶν ποιοῦμαι,
              2 Timothy 1:3 Χάριν ἔχω τῷ θεῷ, ᾧ λατρεύω do servesubject to proviso, able to serve εὐαρέστως τῷ θεῷ μετὰ αἰδοῦς καὶ εὐλαβείας
              Acts 26:7 εἰς ἣν τὸ δωδεκάφυλον ἡμῶν ἐν ἐκτενείᾳ νύκτα καὶ ἡμέραν λατρεῦον do serve (3P) (the one) serving

Luke 2:37 καὶ αὕτη χήρα ὡς ἐτῶν ὀγδοήκοντα τεσσάρων― ἣ οὐκ ἀφίστατο ἀπὸ τοῦ ἱεροῦ, νηστείαις fastings καὶ δεήσεσιν prayers λατρεύουσα serving νύκτα καὶ ἡμέραν

Hebrews 8:5 οἵτινες ὑποδείγματι καὶ σκιᾷ λατρεύουσιν do serve τῶν ἐπουρανίων, καθὼς κεχρημάτισται Μωϋσῆς μέλλων ἐπιτελεῖν τὴν σκηνήν
              Revelation 7:15 Διὰ τοῦτό εἰσιν ἐνώπιον τοῦ θρόνου τοῦ θεοῦ, καὶ λατρεύουσιν do servedo servedo serve αὐτῷ,

EDIT .... OOPS - missed 5 occurrences of the use of λατρευω
              Last edited by tabibito; 08-02-2014, 10:38 PM.
              1Cor 15:34 Come to your senses as you ought and stop sinning; for I say to your shame, there are some who know not God.
              ⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛
              Scripture before Tradition:
              but that won't prevent others from
              taking it upon themselves to deprive you
              of the right to call yourself Christian.

⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛

Comment

• i dont know what your talkin about.

im waiting for obp to respond.

Comment

• Hebrews 10:2 Ἐπεὶ οὐκ ἂν ἐπαύσαντο προσφερόμεναι, διὰ τὸ μηδεμίαν ἔχειν ἔτι συνείδησιν ἁμαρτιῶν τοὺς λατρεύοντας serving , ἅπαξ κεκαθαρμένους
                  Philippians 3:3 ἡμεῖς γάρ ἐσμεν ἡ περιτομή, οἱ πνεύματι θεοῦ λατρεύοντες serving, καὶ καυχώμενοι ἐν χριστῷ Ἰησοῦ, καὶ οὐκ ἐν σαρκὶ πεποιθότες
                  Hebrews 13:10 Ἔχομεν θυσιαστήριον, ἐξ οὗ φαγεῖν οὐκ ἔχουσιν ἐξουσίαν οἱ τῇ σκηνῇ λατρεύοντεςserving

will worship κύριον τὸν θεόν σου, καὶ αὐτῷ μόνῳ λατρεύσεις will serve

Romans 1:25 οἵτινες μετήλλαξαν τὴν ἀλήθειαν τοῦ θεοῦ ἐν τῷ ψεύδει, καὶ ἐσεβάσθησαν καὶ ἐλάτρευσαν have served τῇ κτίσει παρὰ τὸν κτίσαντα, ὅς ἐστιν εὐλογητὸς εἰς τοὺς αἰῶνας. Ἀμήν

3 occurrences of λατρευω in Luke - of 21 total in the New Testament - and, in Luke, only 1 linked with prayer. 2 (including the first) linked with worship. 1 where it isn't linked with any other action. Acts shows no stronger an association than does the gospel.
                  Last edited by tabibito; 08-02-2014, 11:18 PM.
                  1Cor 15:34 Come to your senses as you ought and stop sinning; for I say to your shame, there are some who know not God.
                  ⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛

⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛

Comment

• Luke links all of them with prayer.

Comment

• Luke 1:73 The oath which He swore to our father Abraham:
                      To grant us that we,
                      Being delivered from the hand of our enemies,
                      Might serve Him without fear,
                      In holiness and righteousness before Him all the days of our life.

No prayer mentioned anywhere in the passage.
                      ⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛

⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛

Comment

• Serving the Lord in the OT entailed praying to Him.

Richard N. Longenecker: There is no commandment in the Jewish Scriptures that says simply "Thou shalt pray!" Rather, what one finds is a verse like Deut 11:13, which calls on Israel "to love the Lord your God and to serve Him with all your heart and with all your soul." The rabbis of the Talmud asked about this verse: "What kind of service is it that takes place in the heart"? And they answered their own question: "It is prayer!" (b. Ta' anith 2a). (Studies in Paul, Exegetical and Theological, page 33).

And Jesus answered and said unto him, Get thee behind me, Satan: for it is written, Thou shalt worship the Lord thy God, and him only shalt thou serve. (Luke 4:8, KJV)

only serve God = only pray to God
                        Last edited by foudroyant; 08-02-2014, 11:55 PM.

Comment

• I think an argument could be made against Rome if she promoted λατρευω serving the saints, But I'm fairly sure she has no such teaching.
                          ⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛

⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛

Comment

• of course they will deny it but as we have seen in Post #431:

They pray to them which is the same thing as "serving" (latreuo) them.

Comment

• "What kind of service is it that takes place in the heart"? And they answered their own question: "It is prayer!"
                              Deu 11:13 ‘And it shall be that if you earnestly obey My commandments which I command you today, to love the LORD your God and serve Him with all your heart and with all your soul,
                              ⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛

⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛

Comment

"What kind of service is it that takes place in the heart"? And they answered their own question: "It is prayer!"
                                Only God is to be prayed to.

Comment