I hate meeting new people(College)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Cerealman View Post
    I like understand why people like to do what they do so it was either Sociology or Psychology I suppose.
    I've taken mostly AP Social Study classes most of my HS life, so it made sense to me.
    If it was either Sociology or Psychology, Sociology is the right choice. Those psych students are all nuts. I learned that the hard way, as one of them.
    Micah 6:8 He has told you, O man, what is good; and what does the LORD require of you but to do justice, and to love kindness, and to walk humbly with your God?

Comment

I like to understand why people like to do what they do so it was either Sociology or Psychology I suppose.
      I've taken mostly AP Social Study classes most of my HS life, so it made sense to me.
      Ok. It just seems a little odd that someone who is socially awkward would go for a field that requires interaction with lots of people.
      Veritas vos Liberabit<>< Learn Greek <>< Look here for an Orthodox Church in America<><Ancient Faith Radio
      sigpic
      I recommend you do not try too hard and ...research as little as possible. Such weighty things give me a headache. - Shunyadragon, Baha'i apologist

Comment

You never know what a given person connects with. I have one friend who has Asperger's and an intense difficulty making friends... and who is pursuing a MSW at a prestigious university.
        "I am not angered that the Moral Majority boys campaign against abortion. I am angry when the same men who say, "Save OUR children" bellow "Build more and bigger bombers." That's right! Blast the children in other nations into eternity, or limbless misery as they lay crippled from "OUR" bombers! This does not jell." - Leonard Ravenhill

Comment

I talked to people mainly because they were in the same major I was. I never had a typical college experience. But I still have some people on my facebook page that I catch up with once in a while. Also I think moving halfway across the country sort of dampened any friendships that could have been closer. I did meet some nice people in college though.
          A happy family is but an earlier heaven.
          George Bernard Shaw

Comment

Originally posted by Jedidiah View Post
            If it was either Sociology or Psychology, Sociology is the right choice. Those psych students are all nuts. I learned that the hard way, as one of them.
            Sociology is just applied psychology. But go ahead and handwave away entire fields of study.
            Learn to do right; seek justice. Defend the oppressed. Take up the cause of the fatherless; plead the case of the widow.--Isaiah 1:17

I don't think that all forms o[f] slavery are inherently immoral.--seer

Comment

I'll be going to Bemidji State University soon and possibly major in Sociology(cause math is dumb)
              Originally posted by square_peg View Post
              Sociology is just applied psychology.

Comment

I've always been a difficult person to get to know. I'm introverted and quiet, but I'm also kind of odd so people just don't know how to interact with me.

I was fortunate to get pretty outgoing roommates my first year of college, and they became some of my best friends throughout college. Friends will happen--I wouldn't worry about it. If I can make good friendships at college, anyone can.
                I DENOUNCE DONALD J. TRUMP AND ALL HIS IMMORAL ACTS.

Comment

Sociology is just applied psychology. But go ahead and handwave away entire fields of study.
                  Yeah, and just ignore a key part of his post.

Originally posted by Jedidiah View Post
                  That's real "handwaving" isn't it?

Comment

I'll never forget how many times and how strongly my sociology professor in college (some 40 years ago) insisted that sociology was science. I mean - it's like he had a fixation about it.
                    The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

Sociology had to be just about the most boring class I took in college. I got an A but the only thing I really remember was my cute TA from North Dakota.
                      "I am not angered that the Moral Majority boys campaign against abortion. I am angry when the same men who say, "Save OUR children" bellow "Build more and bigger bombers." That's right! Blast the children in other nations into eternity, or limbless misery as they lay crippled from "OUR" bombers! This does not jell." - Leonard Ravenhill

Comment

Yeah, I don't remember much about what was taught, but my professor was your stereotypical little fat man with beard, mustache, and balding head. And he LOVED roping students into saying something for which he could declare, "Why, you are NAIVE, my friend".
                        The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

Originally posted by Paprika View Post
                          Kudos for getting the reference.

Originally posted by Cerebrum123
                          Yeah, and just ignore a key part of his post.

Originally posted by Jedidiah
                          That's real "handwaving" isn't it?
                          Sure is. One person's experience does not invalidate an entire field.
                          Learn to do right; seek justice. Defend the oppressed. Take up the cause of the fatherless; plead the case of the widow.--Isaiah 1:17

I don't think that all forms o[f] slavery are inherently immoral.--seer

Comment

The main thing I remember about my sociology professor was that he would stand up for fifty minutes and go on about the most boring abstractions possible, and that he liked to use the phrase "I'm going to argue that.." He was obviously a nice guy and passionate about sociology... I was just so dull to that subject.

Comment

So, maybe it's only those who are TEACHING sociology who are nutcases?

Comment

Kudos for getting the reference.

He said the students were all nuts. He didn't say the field was invalidated(although I believe he has given reasons for not trusting the field now), and he didn't even say that all the students stayed that way.

Comment