• Time
  • Show
Clear All

Why is this in Admissions?
    Watch your links! http://www.theologyweb.com/campus/fa...corumetiquette

Comment

Originally posted by DesertBerean View Post
      Why is this in Admissions?
      Because he was admitted to college and has admitted he needs help finding friends.
      I'm not here anymore.

Comment

Originally posted by Cerealman View Post
        I'll be going to Bemidji State University soon and possibly major in Sociology(cause math is dumb) and minor in music. http://www.bemidjistate.edu/
        Also to help with their terrible racial diversity,but anyway I was wondering how did you guys survive college and make new friends and such?
        Sociology would seem to be an odd choice for an INTJ.

I made friends by joining a college fellowship group which contained some extroverts. I got elected elder my junior year, so I must've made a positive impression.
        Enter the Church and wash away your sins. For here there is a hospital and not a court of law. Do not be ashamed to enter the Church; be ashamed when you sin, but not when you repent. – St. John Chrysostom

Veritas vos Liberabit<>< Learn Greek <>< Look here for an Orthodox Church in America<><Ancient Faith Radio
        sigpic
        I recommend you do not try too hard and ...research as little as possible. Such weighty things give me a headache. - Shunyadragon, Baha'i apologist

Comment

Originally posted by square_peg View Post
          Join religious organizations or clubs, if there's one for something you're really passionate about and would possibly enjoy.
          Even if there's not. Try out some clubs that look mildly interesting. It's even better if you try one out where you already know someone from a class.
          I'm not here anymore.

Comment

Did you party hard/study hard?
            A little of both. I learned that while the party side was more fun, it was less valuable.
            Micah 6:8 He has told you, O man, what is good; and what does the LORD require of you but to do justice, and to love kindness, and to walk humbly with your God?

Comment

Originally posted by Spartacus View Post
              I made friends in college... slowly. I usually ate alone in my first semester or so, and only slowly started to figure out that that's where a lot of the social life was (not counting the party scene, which... I just never liked). I was able to make friends through my dorm, a few of my classes (study groups are not a bad opportunity) but most of all through religious groups like the Knights of Columbus and liturgical/devotional groups and events. I sort of worked my way into social circles that had people whose company I liked.

Sometimes people become friends just because of things like... being the only ones in the dining hall reaaally early in the morning. Or being at the gym consistently at the same time (need someone to spot?). Build your routine around activities you like and people whose company you enjoy.
              I lived in a dorm. Simply being together and doing things together was a big help to a non social person like me.
              Micah 6:8 He has told you, O man, what is good; and what does the LORD require of you but to do justice, and to love kindness, and to walk humbly with your God?

Comment

Because no one has moved it yet.

Comment

Sociology isn't necessarily a dead end. Just become a social worker, they'll be in high demand when half the country is on welfare.
                  "As for my people, children are their oppressors, and women rule over them. O my people, they which lead thee cause thee to err, and destroy the way of thy paths." Isaiah 3:12

There is no such thing as innocence, only degrees of guilt.

Comment

Sociology isn't one of the liberal arts like English or philosophy (let's set aside the ways in which the humanities can prepare a person for a job aside from just being able to say they have a Bachelor's degree)-- it's a social science that involves understanding how to gather, interpret, and present statistical information, skills which can be very useful not only in political arguments but in the corporate world as well.
                    Don't call it a comeback. It's a riposte.

Comment

Originally posted by rogue06 View Post
                      So how did you make those friends?
                      We had things in common and we're all socially awkward.
                      Also we played HS Football together.
                      "Kahahaha! Let's get lunatic!"-Add LP
                      "And the Devil did grin, for his darling sin is pride that apes humility"-Samuel Taylor Coleridge
                      Oh ye of little fiber. Do you not know what I've done for you? You will obey. ~Cerealman for Prez.

Comment

Originally posted by Sparko View Post
                        You want a degree in sociology and don't know how to make friends?

My advice, get a degree in something you can actually earn money at. Academic degrees are good if you want to be a teacher, but that is about it.

As far as making friends, you seem like a nice guy, and you have a good sense of humor. Just be yourself, talk to people in your classes, and pretty soon you will have friends in college.
                        I never made friends people always become friendly with me, and it's work so far so I'm not complaining.
                        "And the Devil did grin, for his darling sin is pride that apes humility"-Samuel Taylor Coleridge
                        Oh ye of little fiber. Do you not know what I've done for you? You will obey. ~Cerealman for Prez.

Comment

Originally posted by Jedidiah View Post
                          A little of both. I learned that while the party side was more fun, it was less valuable.
                          I can't imagine you partying.

Comment

Originally posted by One Bad Pig View Post
                            Sociology would seem to be an odd choice for an INTJ.

I made friends by joining a college fellowship group which contained some extroverts. I got elected elder my junior year, so I must've made a positive impression.
                            I like to understand why people like to do what they do so it was either Sociology or Psychology I suppose.
                            I've taken mostly AP Social Study classes most of my HS life, so it made sense to me.
                            Last edited by Cerealman; 02-13-2015, 10:49 PM.

Comment

We had things in common and we're all socially awkward.
                              Also we played HS Football together.
                              Sounds like me in high school.

Comment

I can't imagine you partying.
                                In my youth I was not the solid citizen you have come to know and love. I was a member of the Booze Is The Only Answer Club (shudder). I know better now.

Comment