Announcement

Collapse

Civics 101 Guidelines

Want to argue about politics? Healthcare reform? Taxes? Governments? You've come to the right place!

Try to keep it civil though. The rules still apply here.
See more
See less

Lowering the Confederate Flag - and Wally World

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Sparko View Post
    That is because fm93 IS one of them. Everything ends up being about racism and sexism with him.
    You know, I really hate to agree with this, but I can't help think you're on to something. It's insane to me that the concept, that some people want to be offended, is something he is completely unfamiliar with. It's just bizarro. I've never met a person who didn't understand that concept. I felt like I was taking crazy pills trying to explain it to him.

Comment

• Originally posted by Adrift View Post
      You know, I really hate to agree with this, but I can't help think you're on to something. It's insane to me that the concept, that some people want to be offended, is something he is completely unfamiliar with. It's just bizarro. I've never met a person who didn't understand that concept. I felt like I was taking crazy pills trying to explain it to him.
      Yep. And the whole gay marriage movement is looking for ways to be offended. That is why we had all those stories about bakeries, flower shops, and pizzarias. They were actually seeking ways to be offended so they could make their point.

Comment

• Originally posted by fm93 View Post
        Anyhow. Obviously the person requesting a prayer believes that God might ultimately answer the prayer positively, but that's clearly not what I meant by "the prayer itself does nothing." God is the one who actually does the things, answering the prayer through some human agent who directly impacts the requester. The person saying the prayer isn't directly impacting the recipient.

Are you really this clueless?
        That's simply not what the Bible indicates. When people pray, something moves in the spiritual atmosphere. Yes, God is the one who ultimately grants the prayer if it aligns with his will, but prayer itself has power. We see this in Daniel 10 where Daniel prays and fasts for 3 weeks seemingly without answer, but we come to find that the angel of God (Gabriel) is delayed by the spiritual Prince of Persia. The archangel Michael eventually comes to detain the Prince of Persia so that Gabriel may continue on his way. What moves these spiritual agents to struggle against the adversary in this way? Daniel's prayer. Daniel 10:12 Then he said to me, "Don't be afraid, Daniel, for from the very first day you applied your mind to understand and to humble yourself before your God, your words were heard. I have come in response to your words.

In the same way, Jesus goes into the power of prayer in his parable of the persistent widow.

Luke 18:1-8 Then Jesus told them a parable to show them they should always pray and not lose heart. 2 He said, “In a certain city there was a judge who neither feared God nor respected people. 3 There was also a widow in that city who kept coming to him and saying, ‘Give me justice against my adversary.’ 4 For a while he refused, but later on he said to himself, ‘Though I neither fear God nor have regard for people, 5 yet because this widow keeps on bothering me, I will give her justice, or in the end she will wear me out by her unending pleas.’” 6 And the Lord said, “Listen to what the unrighteous judge says! 7 Won’t God give justice to his chosen ones, who cry out to him day and night? Will he delay long to help them? 8 I tell you, he will give them justice speedily. Nevertheless, when the Son of Man comes, will he find faith on earth?”

You're not a Christian. You don't have to accept that prayer is anything, but an empty symbolic gesture, but that's not what our Bible teaches, and that's not what Christians believe.

Comment

• Originally posted by JimL View Post
          You must mean a thoroughly false and propagandized treatment of history if Down thar in Texas y'all call it the war of Northern aggression CP.
          It should be no surprise whatsoever that a sense of humor is lost on you. It's not in the empty headed echo chamber liberal talking points.
          The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

• Originally posted by Jaecp View Post
            As someone who has worked at a small town Democratic office, it's quite likely that, for any given candidate, they have no idea what the random local Dem offices do for extra campaign swag. Especially that godawful one with Clinton and Gore's faces on it. No way thats an official campaign button. It's hideous and overly busy.

Like, we have this one volunteer who just, like, absolutely adores our button maker so she comes in and just... makes random buttons. For any sort of left aligned thing and just leaves them in a bowl. Some of them are good, others are hilarious bad, but she is passionate so we let her do it.
            So, maybe that's why they support Democratic candidates? Because they have absolutely no class?
            The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

• Originally posted by fm93 View Post
              Because they want to feel good. They're all about feeling good.
              Yeah, when you feel horrible, it's absolutely insane to want to feel good.

You might just be doing it to make yourself feel good.
              And you might be flinging this horsiepoo because it makes you feel good.
              The person saying the prayer isn't directly impacting the recipient.
              Correct - they are interceding on the part of another person, asking God to intervene. God chooses to be moved by the prayers of His people.

The ONLY thing that the Disciples ever asked Jesus to teach then was to pray.

Comment

• Originally posted by Sparko View Post
                And stop buying stuff made in communist China. It really irks me to see American flags for sale at places like that which say "Made in China"
                Yeah, one of my favorite patriotic neckties - I have worn it for at least 12 years on and off - I discovered was made in China. I have retired that flag tie.

Comment

You can be an incredibly patient man - I'm wondering about your sanity.

Comment

• That is far from the most embarrassing thing about Clinton's presidential campaigns. They invited the son of a little-known Midwestern preacher named Fred Phelps to their inauguration based on contributions to Gore in the past. (To be fair, Phelps was not publicly known for anything notorious at this time. But I find it strange and interesting.)
                    "I am not angered that the Moral Majority boys campaign against abortion. I am angry when the same men who say, "Save OUR children" bellow "Build more and bigger bombers." That's right! Blast the children in other nations into eternity, or limbless misery as they lay crippled from "OUR" bombers! This does not jell." - Leonard Ravenhill

Comment

• Originally posted by Jaecp View Post
                      As someone who has worked at a small town Democratic office, it's quite likely that, for any given candidate, they have no idea what the random local Dem offices do for extra campaign swag. Especially that godawful one with Clinton and Gore's faces on it. No way thats an official campaign button. It's hideous and overly busy.

Like, we have this one volunteer who just, like, absolutely adores our button maker so she comes in and just... makes random buttons. For any sort of left aligned thing and just leaves them in a bowl. Some of them are good, others are hilarious bad, but she is passionate so we let her do it.
                      But we're being told that the only ones who display the Confederate flag are racist right-wingers or at best racially-insensitive people. Who woulda thunk that they would be Clinton-Gore and Hilary supporters

I'm always still in trouble again

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
                      "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
                      "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

• Originally posted by rogue06 View Post
                        But we're being told that the only ones who display the Confederate flag are racist right-wingers or at best racially-insensitive people. Who woulda thunk that they would be Clinton-Gore and Hilary supporters
                        Me.

Comment

More generously, I suspect he's not willing to acknowledge the motivation, and I suspect he's right after a fashion. It's never about wanting to be offended. There's always a further goal in mind. Now that goal can be noble or base, ranging from a pursuit of personal notoriety to, frankly, looking for an excuse to fail, to a self-sacrificing interest in eliminating injustice in our society.

Rosa Parks "wanted to be offended" in some sense, but would anyone here be willing to minimize her actions by describing them that way?

I don't think so.

Comment

• Originally posted by lao tzu View Post
                            More generously, I suspect he's not willing to acknowledge the motivation, and I suspect he's right after a fashion. It's never about wanting to be offended. There's always a further goal in mind. Now that goal can be noble or base, ranging from a pursuit of personal notoriety to, frankly, looking for an excuse to fail, to a self-sacrificing interest in eliminating injustice in our society.

Rosa Parks "wanted to be offended" in some sense, but would anyone here be willing to minimize her actions by describing them that way?

I don't think so.
                            I think we would all agree that there are degrees of offendedness.

All this reminds me of my Jewish friend who had, for a while, a website called "UnoffendedJew.com" where he promised not to be offended if you invited him to your Christmas party and let him drink your booze and eat your food and enjoy your hospitality.

Other Jews, of course, might be highly offended (which was his point) that you would invite them to a Christmas party.

Comment

• Originally posted by lao tzu View Post

I don't think so.
                              Oh, ok. So you believe he either lied or exaggerated when he claimed that the idea that some people are looking for any excuse to be hurt was the most insane thing he had ever read. His posts #136 and onwards were simply mock bewilderment. I guess that does make better sense than that he had never heard of the concept at all.

Comment

Oh, ok. So you believe he either lied or exaggerated when he claimed that the idea that some people are looking for any excuse to be hurt was the most insane thing he had ever read. His posts #136 and onwards were simply mock bewilderment. I guess that does make better sense than that he had never heard of the concept at all.
                                Sure, calling this "the most insane thing" is obviously an exaggeration, but please don't insert an accusation of lying into my post. To be fair, the accusation that some people are "looking for any excuse to be hurt" is also "an exaggeration." I can imagine a medical condition where this could actually be the case, but I wouldn't feel comfortable describing the condition in those terms.

Comment