Announcement

Collapse

Civics 101 Guidelines

Want to argue about politics? Healthcare reform? Taxes? Governments? You've come to the right place!

Try to keep it civil though. The rules still apply here.
See more
See less

Another Christian Being Offered On The PC Alter?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Sam View Post
    Hey, I did hold back on the Dore engravings ...

I'm always still in trouble again

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
    "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
    "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

• Huh. I woulda thunk that was a Blake engraving.

Comment

• Originally posted by Adrift View Post
        No. I wouldn't be impressed with him. The guy is a grade-A loser. He got beat down by Michael, and kicked out of the very grace of God for pride of all things. Tried to kill the Messiah, and failed. Thought he was being clever by offering the kingdoms of the world to that same Messiah, and failed. And finally got the rug pulled out from under him by crucifying the Lord of Glory. He's defeated, and doesn't even know it.
        Well, You know he has to be one stupid angel to offer the Lord the world when, you know, he already owns it...

One of my favorite passages is from the Gospel According to Jesse:

"All this I will give you," he said, "if you will bow down and worship me."

Jesus said to him, "Are you high right now?"
        "Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience." ― C.S. Lewis, God in the Dock: Essays on Theology (Making of Modern Theology)

Comment

• Originally posted by seer View Post
          First of all the US was rather multicultural, but still largely Christian and did just fine.
          And you don't think secularism is divisive?
          "Secularism" is potentially more inclusive because it does not hold to a rigid ideology as does religion.

Nonsense. And in your world all that matters is social cohesion, and religion certainly can offer that - and has.
          Tass, is it the Christians who are imposing speech codes on campus? And Political Correctness in general? Who is telling the Christian baker that if he doesn't make a wedding cake for a homosexual marriage that he will face the law?
          But like you made clear, there is no problem with totalitarianism, like with the higher primates, if it brings social cohesion.
          Totalitarianism is one means of ensuring social cohesion. Social diversity allied to democratic process is another; many would argue this is the preferable, way.

Really! This largely Christian nation saved the world from Nazism, Communism and Japanese Imperialism. And if we wanted to, we could have kept Germany, most of the Continent of Europe, and Japan. But what did we do - we gave it all back. We just kept a little land for the graves of our soldiers and Marines.
          This is irrelevant to the topic at hand, namely the attempt of Christians to impose theistic morality in a secular nation and having a tantrum if thwarted!

Believe me Tass bro, when Islam comes to your door you Secularists will not have the will or the ability to resist. This is already happening in Europe where Political Correctness won't even let them rightly define the Muslim problem. Where sharia law is being allowed in more and more areas - especially in France.
          Oh, I thought you were opposed
          Yes just like the liberals do not permit dissent.
          The only difference is that you guys don't have complete control - yet.
          Right!

Wait - I thought all our behavior was predetermined?
          Once again, Causal Determinism is not Fatalism. I'm still waiting for you to explain at what point in the evolutionary process humans acquired free will.

Originally posted by seer View Post
          So if multiculturalism and diversity undermine social cohesion then they are bad things - correct?
          Certainly, IF they undermine social cohesion but there's no reason why they should, except in totalitarian societies.

Comment

• Originally posted by Jedidiah View Post
            No matter how intelligent Singer may be there is no valid justification for this sort of murdering one human being (of any age) to improve the well-being of another.
            Jesus, as a Jew, would have not thought this way. In Jewish law human life begins at birth, that is, at the time when the child is more than halfway emerged from the mother's body. Thus there is no "murder of a human being" in the womb. An unborn child has the status of "potential human life" and while potential human life is valuable, and may not be terminated casually, it does not have as much value as a life in existence.

Comment

• Originally posted by Tassman View Post

Oh, I thought you were opposed to “imposing speech codes on campus and Political Correctness in general”…as per above. You mean its OK when Christians do it? Typical Christian double standards.
              What on earth are you talking about?

Certainly, IF they undermine social cohesion but there's no reason why they should, except in totalitarian societies.
              Nonsense, the more differing cultures you throw together the more fractured that society will become. The more diverse the more you will have competing worldviews clashing.
              Atheism is the cult of death, the death of hope. The universe is doomed, you are doomed, the only thing that remains is to await your execution...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jbnueb2OI4o&t=3s

Comment

• Originally posted by Sam View Post
                <turns around, sees the torches and pitchforks>

My, my, but TWeb is judgy today.

Being a fan of a person, or a person's thought process, does not constitute an agreement with that person or that person's thought process. Singer has compelling arguments and he's an honest advocate of those arguments. That's commendable in a world where many people lack both compelling arguments and honest apologies.
                And you can tell how bad Sam is losing by how condensing he is getting. The more condensing he is getting, the more he has lost. Sorry sweety, but I gave you a question that you dodged because you don't like what the answer would reveal. Can you please explain the difference between killing somebody based upon their ethnic origins and based upon their age already? Of course, perhaps you can get more condescending with your next post. I look forward to it or you could keep dodging the question and showing how big of a coward you truly are.
                "The man from the yacht thought he was the first to find England; I thought I was the first to find Europe. I did try to found a heresy of my own; and when I had put the last touches to it, I discovered that it was orthodoxy."
                GK Chesterton; Orthodoxy

Comment

In Jewish law human life begins at birth
                  But in Jewish practice human life begins when the kids move away and the dog dies.

The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

Jesus, as a Jew, would have not thought this way. In Jewish law human life begins at birth, that is, at the time when the child is more than halfway emerged from the mother's body. Thus there is no "murder of a human being" in the womb. An unborn child has the status of "potential human life" and while potential human life is valuable, and may not be terminated casually, it does not have as much value as a life in existence.
                    So despite the fact that Jesus frequently challenged the rules and beliefs of the Jewish leaders, you know, for a fact, that Jesus agrees with you about abortion because well he was a Jew and he must have agreed with your about abortion, even when he challenged the Jewish leaders and their teachings rather frequently. I sure hope that made more sense in your head than when you said it out loud.
                    "The man from the yacht thought he was the first to find England; I thought I was the first to find Europe. I did try to found a heresy of my own; and when I had put the last touches to it, I discovered that it was orthodoxy."
                    GK Chesterton; Orthodoxy

Comment

• Originally posted by lilpixieofterror View Post
                      So despite the fact that Jesus frequently challenged the rules and beliefs of the Jewish leaders, you know, for a fact, that Jesus agrees with you about abortion because well he was a Jew and he must have agreed with your about abortion, even when he challenged the Jewish leaders and their teachings rather frequently. I sure hope that made more sense in your head than when you said it out loud.
                      But, Lpix, when the Jewish leaders were following Jewish law, preparing to stone that prostitute, didn't Jesus jump right in there and yell "hand me a rock!"
                      The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

• Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post
                        But, Lpix, when the Jewish leaders were following Jewish law, preparing to stone that prostitute, didn't Jesus jump right in there and yell "hand me a rock!"
                        Of course, right along with how he agreed with not talking to a women by himself or how he didn't eat with sinners. He was obviously a great follower of the Jewish laws of the time and the Jews loved him and love him to this very day!
                        GK Chesterton; Orthodoxy

Comment

• Originally posted by lilpixieofterror View Post
                          Of course, right along with how he agreed with not talking to a women by himself or how he didn't eat with sinners. He was obviously a great follower of the Jewish laws of the time and the Jews loved him and love him to this very day!
                          I just love it when atheists try to tell us WJWHD.

Comment

Whenever Christians don’t get their own way they whine about persecution, e.g. attempting to disseminate religion or pseudo-science on publicly funded campuses, or attempting to deny citizens their full civil rights.
                            Again Tass, who are the ones that are enforcing speech codes of college campuses? Who invented Political Correctness? These things are designed to LIMIT speech. Who are the ones that would force by law a Christian to participate in a Gay wedding by making a cake or taking photos. When absolutely NO HARM came to the Gay couples in question. Who has now invented "micro-aggressions" - again in an attempt to LIMIT speech. You leftists are are control freaks - who knows where it will stop.
                            Atheism is the cult of death, the death of hope. The universe is doomed, you are doomed, the only thing that remains is to await your execution...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jbnueb2OI4o&t=3s

Comment

• Originally posted by seer View Post
                              Again Tass, who are the ones that are enforcing speech codes of college campuses? Who invented Political Correctness? These things are designed to LIMIT speech. Who are the ones that would force by law a Christian to participate in a Gay wedding by making a cake or taking photos. When absolutely NO HARM came to the Gay couples in question. Who has now invented "micro-aggressions" - again in an attempt to LIMIT speech. You leftists are are control freaks - who knows where it will stop.
                              Yeah, most people have thicker skins than a toddler does.
                              If it weren't for the Resurrection of Jesus, we'd all be in DEEP TROUBLE!

Comment

I will actively ignore this stupidity since it is a post by Tassman, thus drivel.
                                Micah 6:8 He has told you, O man, what is good; and what does the LORD require of you but to do justice, and to love kindness, and to walk humbly with your God?

Comment