Announcement

Collapse

Civics 101 Guidelines

Want to argue about politics? Healthcare reform? Taxes? Governments? You've come to the right place!

Try to keep it civil though. The rules still apply here.
See more
See less

Another Christian Being Offered On The PC Alter?

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Another Christian Being Offered On The PC Alter?

    We will see....

    A Maryland DJ has refused to work a birthday party for a gay man. ‘We ought to obey God rather than men.’

    The national debate about how to balance religious conscience protections and gay equality flared in the large, mostly liberal Washington, D.C., suburb of Montgomery County Friday, when Dani Tsakounis tried to help her brother hire Ultrasound Deejays for a party. An owner of the business told Tsakounis he would not provide the DJ because Tsakounis’s brother, a Silver Spring therapist, is married to another man and the birthday party they are hosting is for their 60-year-old roommate, who is also gay.

    “I just said, ‘We won’t be able to do it, we’re a Christian organization and it would go against our faith, I’m sorry,’” Michael Lampiris, co-owner of Ultrasound Deejays, said Friday.

    Tom Tsakounis, 46, was so upset when his sister told him that he posted the news on his neighborhood listserv, prompting calls of sympathy from neighbors. He also registered a complaint with the Montgomery County Human Rights Commission, which hears cases of alleged discrimination.
    http://www.theblaze.com/stories/2015...happened-next/
    Atheism is the cult of death, the death of hope. The universe is doomed, you are doomed, the only thing that remains is to await your execution...

    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jbnueb2OI4o&t=3s

  • #2
    This is nothing. Wait until gay marriage becomes legal (and it eventually will). That's when the shizzle's gonna hit the fan. These people will go out of their way to target Christian businesses and churches just to get them to violate the law.
    "I was the CIA director. We lied, we cheated, we stole, it was like... we had entire training courses. It reminds you of the glory of the American experiment." - Mike Pompeo, Secretary of State (source).

    Comment


    • #3
      Originally posted by seanD View Post
      This is nothing. Wait until gay marriage becomes legal (and it eventually will). That's when the shizzle's gonna hit the fan. These people will go out of their way to target Christian businesses and churches just to get them to violate the law.
      But, but, but...

      “Me being in love with a girl and wanting her to be with me, doing what I need to do to make her stay with me; it affects no one, yet it’s terrifying to people and they think you’re a monster.”
      ― Sara Quin


      “You still don't like the idea of gay marriage? Then, as my friend the economist Julianne Malveaux says: Don't marry a gay person. Case closed, problem solved.”
      ― Barbara Ehrenreich


      It won't affect you at all!
      That's what
      - She

      Without a clear-cut definition of sin, morality becomes a mere argument over the best way to train animals
      - Manya the Holy Szin (The Quintara Marathon)

      I may not be as old as dirt, but me and dirt are starting to have an awful lot in common
      Stephen R. Donaldson

      Comment


      • #4
        Originally posted by seer View Post
        A Maryland DJ has refused to work a birthday party for a gay man. ‘We ought to obey God rather than men.’
        Well even the conservatives should be able to agree that this one is just pure unwarranted discrimination plain and simple. The man is not being asked to:
        - Attend a gay wedding
        - Provide services in support of a gay wedding
        - Endorse the idea of gay marriage

        Instead he's being asked to help run a birthday party. Gay people are allowed birthday parties right? Or is there a strong traditional Christian teaching against gay people being allowed to have birthday parties that I'm missing? Is "thou shalt not attend the birthday parties of gay people, for the LORD your God who led you out of Israel declares that gay people do not get to have birthday parties" the 11th commandment?

        It seems exactly analogous to refusing to provide services to an interracial couple - the DJ is objecting to providing his business services for this birthday party on the grounds that he thinks his customer is married to the wrong type of person.

        Comment


        • #5
          Originally posted by Starlight View Post
          Well even the conservatives should be able to agree that this one is just pure unwarranted discrimination plain and simple. The man is not being asked to:
          - Attend a gay wedding
          - Provide services in support of a gay wedding
          - Endorse the idea of gay marriage

          Instead he's being asked to help run a birthday party. Gay people are allowed birthday parties right? Or is there a strong traditional Christian teaching against gay people being allowed to have birthday parties that I'm missing? Is "thou shalt not attend the birthday parties of gay people, for the LORD your God who led you out of Israel declares that gay people do not get to have birthday parties" the 11th commandment?

          It seems exactly analogous to refusing to provide services to an interracial couple - the DJ is objecting to providing his business services for this birthday party on the grounds that he thinks his customer is married to the wrong type of person.
          Source: http://www.bizpacreview.com/2015/06/14/christian-dj-refuses-to-be-bullied-after-turning-down-gay-birthday-party-213857#ixzz3d556Jl00


          The company’s website describes Ultrasound Deejays as a “family-friendly” company whose policy also turns down requests for vulgar music, provocative dancing or strippers and events that involve “fortune tellers, psychics, or magicians"

          © Copyright Original Source

          That's what
          - She

          Without a clear-cut definition of sin, morality becomes a mere argument over the best way to train animals
          - Manya the Holy Szin (The Quintara Marathon)

          I may not be as old as dirt, but me and dirt are starting to have an awful lot in common
          Stephen R. Donaldson

          Comment


          • #6
            Originally posted by Bill the Cat View Post
            Source: http://www.bizpacreview.com/2015/06/14/christian-dj-refuses-to-be-bullied-after-turning-down-gay-birthday-party-213857#ixzz3d556Jl00


            The company’s website describes Ultrasound Deejays as a “family-friendly” company whose policy also turns down requests for vulgar music, provocative dancing or strippers and events that involve “fortune tellers, psychics, or magicians"

            © Copyright Original Source

            And was there any indication that the birthday party would involve requests for vulgar music, provocative dancing/strippers, or events that involve tellers, psychics or magicians?

            I know Ultrasound has a policy saying "We will not be involved in any event involving homosexual celebration or activity." But according to the article, the birthday party isn't for the man who's married to another man. It's for their 60-year old roommate, who is also gay but apparently is not married. So how would the birthday party involve homosexual celebration or activity? Seems to me that the only sense it could fit is if by "homosexual celebration," Ultrasound meant "celebration by people who happen to be homosexual," rather than simply "celebration of homosexuality." And that certainly seems unfairly discriminatory.
            Learn to do right; seek justice. Defend the oppressed. Take up the cause of the fatherless; plead the case of the widow.--Isaiah 1:17

            I don't think that all forms o[f] slavery are inherently immoral.--seer

            Comment


            • #7
              Originally posted by fm93 View Post
              And was there any indication that the birthday party would involve requests for vulgar music, provocative dancing/strippers, or events that involve tellers, psychics or magicians?

              I know Ultrasound has a policy saying "We will not be involved in any event involving homosexual celebration or activity." But according to the article, the birthday party isn't for the man who's married to another man. It's for their 60-year old roommate, who is also gay but apparently is not married.
              The roommate is the former lover of the married man.

              So how would the birthday party involve homosexual celebration or activity? Seems to me that the only sense it could fit is if by "homosexual celebration," Ultrasound meant "celebration by people who happen to be homosexual," rather than simply "celebration of homosexuality." And that certainly seems unfairly discriminatory.
              More info is forthcoming. I wonder if Ultrasound was targeted or not...
              That's what
              - She

              Without a clear-cut definition of sin, morality becomes a mere argument over the best way to train animals
              - Manya the Holy Szin (The Quintara Marathon)

              I may not be as old as dirt, but me and dirt are starting to have an awful lot in common
              Stephen R. Donaldson

              Comment


              • #8
                Originally posted by Bill the Cat View Post
                The roommate is the former lover of the married man.
                But they aren't currently lovers. If it matters that they were once lovers, then for the sake of consistency, Ultrasound should also be refusing to involve itself with events for divorced people.
                Learn to do right; seek justice. Defend the oppressed. Take up the cause of the fatherless; plead the case of the widow.--Isaiah 1:17

                I don't think that all forms o[f] slavery are inherently immoral.--seer

                Comment


                • #9
                  Originally posted by fm93 View Post
                  But they aren't currently lovers. If it matters that they were once lovers, then for the sake of consistency, Ultrasound should also be refusing to involve itself with events for divorced people.
                  Why? Not all divorce is immoral.
                  That's what
                  - She

                  Without a clear-cut definition of sin, morality becomes a mere argument over the best way to train animals
                  - Manya the Holy Szin (The Quintara Marathon)

                  I may not be as old as dirt, but me and dirt are starting to have an awful lot in common
                  Stephen R. Donaldson

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Originally posted by Bill the Cat View Post
                    Why? Not all divorce is immoral.
                    In quite a few common cases it is, Biblically speaking.

                    The same would also theoretically apply for people who at any point in their lives had an affair, or premarital sex, etc.
                    Learn to do right; seek justice. Defend the oppressed. Take up the cause of the fatherless; plead the case of the widow.--Isaiah 1:17

                    I don't think that all forms o[f] slavery are inherently immoral.--seer

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Originally posted by fm93 View Post
                      In quite a few common cases it is, Biblically speaking.

                      The same would also theoretically apply for people who at any point in their lives had an affair, or premarital sex, etc.
                      No. Past sin is not the same as current lifestyle sin.
                      That's what
                      - She

                      Without a clear-cut definition of sin, morality becomes a mere argument over the best way to train animals
                      - Manya the Holy Szin (The Quintara Marathon)

                      I may not be as old as dirt, but me and dirt are starting to have an awful lot in common
                      Stephen R. Donaldson

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        Originally posted by Bill the Cat View Post
                        No. Past sin is not the same as current lifestyle sin.
                        Right, so...since the 60-year old man does not currently appear to be engaged in a homosexual romantic relationship, by what reasoning could Ultrasound justify the decision to refuse something as simple as providing music at a birthday party?
                        Last edited by fm93; 06-14-2015, 09:02 PM.
                        Learn to do right; seek justice. Defend the oppressed. Take up the cause of the fatherless; plead the case of the widow.--Isaiah 1:17

                        I don't think that all forms o[f] slavery are inherently immoral.--seer

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          Originally posted by fm93 View Post
                          Right, so...since since the 60-year old man does not currently appear to be engaged in a homosexual romantic relationship, by what reasoning could Ultrasound justify the decision to refuse something as simple as providing music at a birthday party?
                          Again, more details will follow, to be sure. I just cited their policy for informational purposes.
                          That's what
                          - She

                          Without a clear-cut definition of sin, morality becomes a mere argument over the best way to train animals
                          - Manya the Holy Szin (The Quintara Marathon)

                          I may not be as old as dirt, but me and dirt are starting to have an awful lot in common
                          Stephen R. Donaldson

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            If there was no religious or sexual component whatsoever (or racial component), I bet a spate of prosecutions for not providing personalized business services would be going viral as an example of government overreach.

                            It's not an exact parallel, but frequently, Republican candidates get into the news for using songs by liberal bands for campaign songs without permission, and the bands get furious and refuse permission. (The Dropkick Murphys told Scott Walker to stop because "we literally hate you".) Fans tend to like this. However, for a more exact parallel, what if a candidate tried to book the band to play at the inauguration and they refused? Would that be such an outrage? That would, after all, be a selective denial of labor.
                            "I am not angered that the Moral Majority boys campaign against abortion. I am angry when the same men who say, "Save OUR children" bellow "Build more and bigger bombers." That's right! Blast the children in other nations into eternity, or limbless misery as they lay crippled from "OUR" bombers! This does not jell." - Leonard Ravenhill

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              Hang on, let me consult with my sympathy meter...

                              Sorry, looks like we're registering in the "negligible" range.

                              Barring further details that move the event from "birthday party" to "drag show," I'm with fm93 here.
                              Don't call it a comeback. It's a riposte.

                              Comment

                              Related Threads

                              Collapse

                              Topics Statistics Last Post
                              Started by mikewhitney, Today, 08:39 PM
                              2 responses
                              15 views
                              0 likes
                              Last Post mikewhitney  
                              Started by Darfius, Today, 02:11 PM
                              3 responses
                              46 views
                              0 likes
                              Last Post shunyadragon  
                              Started by CivilDiscourse, Today, 02:06 PM
                              15 responses
                              63 views
                              0 likes
                              Last Post shunyadragon  
                              Started by rogue06, Yesterday, 09:13 AM
                              18 responses
                              146 views
                              0 likes
                              Last Post Ronson
                              by Ronson
                               
                              Started by CivilDiscourse, 11-29-2020, 09:32 AM
                              27 responses
                              185 views
                              0 likes
                              Last Post Electric Skeptic  
                              Working...
                              X