Announcement

Collapse

Civics 101 Guidelines

Want to argue about politics? Healthcare reform? Taxes? Governments? You've come to the right place!

Try to keep it civil though. The rules still apply here.
See more
See less

Rape Culture: Why Yes can mean No

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Christianbookworm View Post
    Is feminism a continuum? Because most of tweb would be feminists compared to epo and DE.
    It is, actually, but I had the radicals in mind - and I've defended both DE and Epo when I thought they were in the right for the exact same reason. Modern feminists have done enormous damage - but that doesn't mean they are solely to blame for all that damage. In this case, they had willing male help. All men? Of course not - neither are all women who believe in equality under the law feminists. But the road to this disaster wasn't paved by feminists alone and sadly, some of their own eventual victims actually helped.
    "He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep to gain that which he cannot lose." - Jim Elliot

"Forgiveness is the way of love." Gary Chapman

My Personal Blog

My Novella blog (Current Novella Begins on 7/25/14)

Quill Sword

Comment

Originally posted by Irate Canadian View Post
      Hi, I'm IC, and I'm a TWeb feminist.
      If by feminist you mean things like getting paid the same for the same work done then so am I.

If by feminist you mean things like hating men then you left me a long time ago.

I'm always still in trouble again

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
      "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
      "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

Originally posted by rogue06 View Post
        If by feminist you mean things like getting paid the same for the same work done then so am I.

If by feminist you mean things like hating men then you left me a long time ago.
        I'll take Option Number #1.
        "It's evolution; every time you invent something fool-proof, the world invents a better fool."
        -Unknown

"Preach the gospel, and if necessary use words." - Most likely St.Francis

I find that evolution is the best proof of God.
        ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
        I support the :
        sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Psychic Missile View Post
          Just like civil rights, abolition, freedom of religion, women voters, etc.
          Baloney, no matter how thin you slice it.
          Micah 6:8 He has told you, O man, what is good; and what does the LORD require of you but to do justice, and to love kindness, and to walk humbly with your God?

Comment

Just like civil rights, abolition, freedom of religion, women voters, etc.
            I'm sorry, but that is just plain wrong and absurd. Try again.
            "The man from the yacht thought he was the first to find England; I thought I was the first to find Europe. I did try to found a heresy of my own; and when I had put the last touches to it, I discovered that it was orthodoxy."
            GK Chesterton; Orthodoxy

Comment

Originally posted by Irate Canadian View Post
              Hi, I'm IC, and I'm gay.
              translated
              "As for my people, children are their oppressors, and women rule over them. O my people, they which lead thee cause thee to err, and destroy the way of thy paths." Isaiah 3:12

There is no such thing as innocence, only degrees of guilt.

Comment

Originally posted by Teallaura View Post
                In this case, they had willing male help. All men?
                I'm sorry...were those men not feminists? Because you keep saying that feminists had willing male help so as to imply that only the women were feminists.

Comment

Originally posted by Jedidiah View Post
                  Baloney, no matter how thin you slice it.
                  Certain white men have a history of being upset when they have to cede power or even if it is merely point out that they have disproportionate power. I don't see how you're any different.

Comment

Certain white men have a history of being upset when they have to cede power or even if it is merely point out that they have disproportionate power. I don't see how you're any different.
                    Disproportionate to what? Certainly not accomplishments.
                    "As for my people, children are their oppressors, and women rule over them. O my people, they which lead thee cause thee to err, and destroy the way of thy paths." Isaiah 3:12

There is no such thing as innocence, only degrees of guilt.

Comment

• Originally posted by Meta Knight View Post
                      I'm sorry...were those men not feminists? Because you keep saying that feminists had willing male help so as to imply that only the women were feminists.
                      Men can hold the feminist position, of course, but radical male feminist is an oxymoron. For that, you have to be a gal. And an idiot...

But I had males not identifying as feminists in mind.
                      "He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep to gain that which he cannot lose." - Jim Elliot

"Forgiveness is the way of love." Gary Chapman

My Personal Blog

My Novella blog (Current Novella Begins on 7/25/14)

Quill Sword

Comment

• Originally posted by fm93 View Post
                        No, feminism by definition is the effort to attain equal rights and opportunity for women
                        Originally posted by Paprika View Post

That's the lie the progressive feed their useful idiots, just like how legalising gay marriage is merely to ensure 'equal rights'.
                        There is nothing new under the sun.

Comment

• Originally posted by Teallaura View Post
                          And it's getting really annoying to have to defend feminism at all. I broke with NOW at the age of 12 - 13. They sold us out - many of us girls remember it only too well. Even so, there were and are male fingers in the pie so this 'it's all them' stuff is nonsense.
                          You're the one obsessed over the sex of the ones getting blamed; all I've blamed are feminists.

Comment

• Originally posted by fm93 View Post
                            No, feminism by definition is the effort to attain equal rights and opportunity for women--such as allowing women, and not just men, to have a say in voting for a country's leaders; for allowing women the freedom to explore the same life and career opportunities as men instead of just being confined to doing the domestic tasks that men can't be bothered to do, and for viewing and treating women as people instead of a mere flesh-and-bone vessel to bear children and serve as a source of physical pleasure for men. This is a good thing. What you presumably mean is that some people who identify as feminist do things that are detrimental to society, but blanket statements such as the ones I've quoted are embarrassingly simplistic and lazy. I know for a fact that you two complain endlessly (and rightfully) when Internet atheists make such embarrassingly simplistic blanket statements like "Christianity is just another symptom of the general rot in our society" or "Christianity/religion is the cause of all evil in society" or "Christians suffer from delusions/brain viruses."
                            This is like saying that the BNP are only a political party and has nothing to do with racism apart from it's racist members of course.

Feminism, much like Christianity, can have wildly diverse schools of thought. Some can seem bizarre or genuinely detrimental--much like the case with Christianity. But ultimately, they're all attempts that essentially stem from a genuinely noble and moral effort to treat women respectfully, in following with the scriptural precedents that "There is no more male and female" and "Love your neighbor as yourself." This, you might've noticed, is very much like Christianity, regarding which the many denominations and branches of theology are all attempts that essentially stem from the genuinely noble and moral effort to honor and worship God in spirit and in truth. Feminism, much like Christianity, ought to first and foremost be viewed in light of the good that it brings. It shouldn't be treated as a dirty word no matter what some advocates do in its name--much like the case with Christianity.
                            The truth of Christianity rests on the claims of the resurrection of Jesus Christ. Feminism is an ideology like communism where it's truth claims are decided by those who follow it.
                            Last edited by Darth Ovious; 05-11-2015, 02:03 AM. Reason: Grammar

Comment

• Originally posted by Psychic Missile View Post
                              Feminists sought a different kind of power. They built up power by creating feminist organisations, sought out jobs within the media, education, law, etc. If you look at the big hitters then you'll see they went for indoctrination rather than governmental power.

Comment

• Originally posted by Teallaura View Post
                                Men can hold the feminist position, of course, but radical male feminist is an oxymoron. For that, you have to be a gal. And an idiot...

But I had males not identifying as feminists in mind.
                                Believe it or not I have seen the odd male radical feminist. It's not very nice. They usually come off as having a very strong sense of self loathing. I remember one named Owen (I can't remember his last name again) but he was telling his story about what made him a radical feminist and it was when he went to a public laundrymat to wash his clothes. He ended up confused because there was a woman there who appeared scared of him and was hiding in a corner. When she realised he was only there to wash his clothes she apologised went back to sorting out her clothes. When he got home the penny dropped and he realised that she was afraid of him because she thought he was a predator. So he ended up feeling so bad that he ended up becoming a radical feminist.

Now the thing is when he told this story online he was attacked by other radical feminists. They said to him he was a monster because he didn't leave right away. His presence was oppressing her they said. His reply was that he didn't realise he was a monster back then. So he defended the idea that he used to be a monster despite the fact that he didn't actually do anything to harm the girl. I do feel sorry for the girl because something bad probably did happen to her, but a public laundrymat is a public place. He can't just be expected to remove himself from public because other people might be afraid of him.

Comment