Announcement

Collapse

Civics 101 Guidelines

Want to argue about politics? Healthcare reform? Taxes? Governments? You've come to the right place!

Try to keep it civil though. The rules still apply here.
See more
See less

Baltimore Burning and Officers Injured

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

If they come back and say that the officers were not at fault this city will burn.
    Atheism is the cult of death, the death of hope. The universe is doomed, you are doomed, the only thing that remains is to await your execution...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jbnueb2OI4o&t=3s

Comment

Originally posted by seer View Post
      If they come back and say that the officers were not at fault this city will burn.
      So, business as usual then?
      Some may call me foolish, and some may call me odd
      But I'd rather be a fool in the eyes of man
      Than a fool in the eyes of God

From "Fools Gold" by Petra

Comment

Originally posted by Mountain Man View Post
        So, business as usual then?
        I just hope that the "Looting for Justice" message gets through in time. Nothing says "police brutality must stop" like stealing a 60-inch TV and surround sound system for your ghetto crib.

Comment

Originally posted by Ana Dragule View Post
          Valerie Richardson note in the Washington Times that FBI data on police killings are limited and data is not required to be submitted. If there are areas where people feel there is more police discrimination or more killers on the basis of race, people could band together for a change in policy to investigate this and better address needs in the communities.
          Source: http://www.npr.org/2015/04/29/402971487/residents-disappointed-at-how-rioters-tore-up-baltimore

I was about to call Freddie Gray's death the latest in a string of high-profile deaths of African-American men involving police. But that's not quite right. And that's the point. Each incident of the past year was a particular story in a particular place, which became clear as soon as we arrived in the very particular place that is Baltimore.

Nothing about this story was quite the way it seemed from a distance. For one thing, the uprising did not bring a black populace into confrontation with an overwhelmingly white police force, as happened in Ferguson, Mo., last year.

Baltimore, a majority black city, has a black mayor and a black police commissioner whose force is about half black.

© Copyright Original Source

Comment

Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post
            And supposedly the officers are insisting that they look at the vehicle's GPS track, which would show speed, direction, etc. Perhaps this is why Baltimore officials are trying to play down the release of information.
            Now, of course, there's supposedly private video of the police van making a stop that was previously undisclosed. The Mayor's Office won't say anything about it except "we've turned this over to State investigators".

I keep forgetting that Baltimore has a Police Union which adds a whole 'nuther layer of "interests", because in all my associations with police departments, I have never had to deal with Police Unions.

It's going to be difficult to get the "simple truth" out there.
            The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

Having watched the Mayor's press conference earlier today, it seemed --- weird.... she was reminiscing about her own education and career path, and sounded more like a little girl living a fairy tale than a chief executive of a major city. She seemed to be emphasizing the fact that she has lots of hours sitting in classrooms, but precious little executive experience. Then, to stand back and let Al Sharpton appear to be in charge ---- she is in WAY over her head.
              The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

Having watched the Mayor's press conference earlier today, it seemed --- weird.... she was reminiscing about her own education and career path, and sounded more like a little girl living a fairy tale than a chief executive of a major city. She seemed to be emphasizing the fact that she has lots of hours sitting in classrooms, but precious little executive experience. Then, to stand back and let Al Sharpton appear to be in charge ---- she is in WAY over her head.
                In some fairness, mayors tend not to have much executive experience unless they've been at it a while, and Al Sharpton is very experienced at appearing to be in charge.
                Veritas vos Liberabit<>< Learn Greek <>< Look here for an Orthodox Church in America<><Ancient Faith Radio
                sigpic
                I recommend you do not try too hard and ...research as little as possible. Such weighty things give me a headache. - Shunyadragon, Baha'i apologist

Comment

Originally posted by One Bad Pig View Post
                  In some fairness, mayors tend not to have much executive experience unless they've been at it a while,
                  I can see that for mayor of Mayberry or Podunk Hollow, but this is a major US city. But, yeah.

and Al Sharpton is very experienced at appearing to be in charge.
                  Even Jaun Williams was bemoaning the fact that she just appeared to relinquish control to Al, but, AGAIN, yeah....

Comment

So... the six officers are going to be charged with homicide?

Comment

So... the six officers are going to be charged with homicide?
                      No, but some with second degree murder. But why? How was Gray actually hurt? Did the cops beat him, or was he thrown back into the door by a rough ride? A big point seems to be that they did not belt him in - which was a new requirement. If he was hurt by a rough ride I don't see how the get to murder in the second degree.
                      Atheism is the cult of death, the death of hope. The universe is doomed, you are doomed, the only thing that remains is to await your execution...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jbnueb2OI4o&t=3s

Comment

My guess is the fact it happened in their custody and they didn't take due care to avoid injury...and in the end, the charges may get reduced anyway.
                        Watch your links! http://www.theologyweb.com/campus/fa...corumetiquette

Comment

Originally posted by DesertBerean View Post
                          My guess is the fact it happened in their custody and they didn't take due care to avoid injury...and in the end, the charges may get reduced anyway.
                          Yeah, like negligent homicide. I suspect, though, that that won't be "enough justice" for the rioters. It's a travesty that our justice system can be blackmailed by threat of violence to produce certain outcomes.

Comment

I am shocked, shocked that a woman with a hyphenated last name is occupying a salaried position of authority in a declining city with no clue or experience of what to do during an actual life-and-death crisis.

But seriously, she's been following the liberal playbook to the letter: rioters are misunderstood, police are evil, and all handling of those riots are national issues and should be turned over to the high-powered people who take care of that sort of thing: Sharpton, Crump, etc.

Also, your posts seem to indicate that you've been reading a certain unacceptable duck's tweets. Do be careful about getting dinged for racism, comrade!

Comment

Originally posted by seer View Post
                              If he was hurt by a rough ride I don't see how the get to murder in the second degree.
                              I assume it's because they didn't get him medical attention promptly, despite stopping the van several times and seeing his deteriorating condition. They ignored his pleas for help. Only the driver was charged with second degree murder. Second degree murder might be a bit of a stretch, but they backed it up with manslaughter charges. I'd expect at least one of the manslaughter charges to stick.
                              Middle-of-the-road swing voter. Feel free to sway my opinion.

Comment

The charges (as listed by CNN):

Officer Garrett E. Miller

1) Assault/second degree
                                2) Assault/second degree
                                3) Misconduct in office
                                4) Misconduct in office
                                5) False imprisonment

Sgt. Alicia D. White

1) Manslaughter (involuntary)
                                2) Assault/second degree
                                3) Misconduct in office

Officer Caesar R. Goodson Jr. (the driver)

1) Second degree depraved heart murder
                                2) Manslaughter (involuntary)
                                3) Assault/second degree
                                4) Manslaughter by vehicle (gross negligence)
                                5) Manslaughter by vehicle (criminal negligence)
                                6) Misconduct in office

Officer William G. Porter

2) Assault/second degree
                                3) Misconduct in office

Lt. Brian W. Rice

2) Assault/second degree
                                3) Assault/second degree
                                4) Misconduct in office
                                5) Misconduct in office
                                6) False imprisonment

Officer Edward M. Nero

1) Assault/second degree
                                2) Assault/second degree
                                3) Misconduct in office
                                4) Misconduct in office
                                5) False imprisonment
                                Last edited by Yttrium; 05-01-2015, 12:54 PM.
                                Middle-of-the-road swing voter. Feel free to sway my opinion.

Comment