Announcement

Collapse

Civics 101 Guidelines

Want to argue about politics? Healthcare reform? Taxes? Governments? You've come to the right place!

Try to keep it civil though. The rules still apply here.
See more
See less

Baltimore Burning and Officers Injured

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by DesertBerean View Post
    I got a followup article in my FB on that mom. They know her name etc. I don't want to link to it because I don't know it's really on topic...but some of the comments in my FB link are discussing a GoFundMe campaign for her. Gee...I don't know about that...
    Definitely not GoFundMe anymore, they've predictably folded under the tiniest of pressures and can no longer be trusted. If this is going to be the way of things with funding from now on, I encourage you to start sending those who offend the sensibilities of the establishment money directly (or discreetly:) I do remember throwing a hundred or more at George Zimmerman back when he set up his fundraiser himself. But perhaps we've reached the limits of what distant funding can accomplish in this nation, and must now learn to deal with people and their representatives face to face again.

Comment

Originally posted by Darth Executor View Post
      Far more instructive to me is that white cops in Ferguson, the mixed race police force in Baltimore and the black cops in Detroit all act the same. The core problem obviously lies with the communities themselves and police brutality is a product of bad communities rather than their cause.
      I don't know enough to comment much on which is cause and which effect.

That said the increasing militarisation and brutality of the police and the violent reaction strikes me as karmic given the amount of war and destruction the US has waged recently.

Comment

Originally posted by KingsGambit View Post
        Everybody knows rioting is wrong, but there's no point in re-iterating that. Instead, what can be done to prevent future occurrences?

It seems instructive to me to compare North Charleston to Baltimore. In North Charleston, there was even video evidence of what happened (and it was damning toward the officer), yet there were no riots. The city immediately took control of the situation and acknowledged problems. The same did not occur in Baltimore.
        Keep the media and pundits away. They turn a non-story into a complete riot filled civil rights revolt.

Also it would help to have a Mayor that supported law and order instead of looting and rioting.

Comment

Originally posted by Sparko View Post
          Keep the media and pundits away. They turn a non-story into a complete riot filled civil rights revolt.
          The media didn't really start this one. It was more a grass-roots thing that the media later encouraged.

Also it would help to have a Mayor that supported law and order instead of looting and rioting.
          The mayor was a hyphenated-American in the literal and figurative sense. They're not supposed to be competent, they're supposed to sit quietly and give criminal-Americans space to work out their problems.

Comment

An illuminating article:

Source: http://www.breitbart.com/big-government/2015/04/28/baltimore-is-a-democrat-problem-not-americas-problem/

Contrary to the emotional blackmail some leftists are attempting to peddle, Baltimore is not America’s problem or shame. That failed city is solely and completely a Democrat problem. Like many failed cities, Detroit comes to mind, and every city besieged recently by rioting, Democrats and their union pals have had carte blanche to inflict their ideas and policies on Baltimore since 1967, the last time there was a Republican Mayor.

In 2012, after four years of his own failed policies, President Obama won a whopping 87.4% of the Baltimore City vote. Democrats run the city of Baltimore, the unions, the schools, and, yes, the police force. Since 1969, there have only been only been two Republican governors of the State of Maryland.

Elijah Cummings has represented Baltimore in the U.S. Congress for more than thirty years. As I write this, despite his objectively disastrous reign, the Democrat-infested mainstream media is treating the Democrat like a local folk hero, not the obvious and glaring failure he really is.

Every single member of the Baltimore city council is a Democrat.

Liberalism and all the toxic government dependence and cronyism and union corruption and failed schools that comes along with it, has run amok in Baltimore for a half-century, and that is Baltimore’s problem. It is the free people of Baltimore who elect and then re-elect those who institute policies that have so spectacularly failed that once-great city. It is the free people of Baltimore who elected Mayor Room-To-Destroy.

You can call the arson and looting and violence we are seeing on our television screens, rioting. That’s one way to describe the chaos. Another way to describe it is Democrat infighting. This is blue-on-blue violence. The thugs using the suspicious death of Freddie Gray (at the hands of a Democrat-led police department) to justify the looting that updates their home entertainment systems, are Democrats protesting Democrat leaders and Democrat policies in a Democrat-run city.

© Copyright Original Source

Comment

Originally posted by Paprika View Post
              An illuminating article:

Source: http://www.breitbart.com/big-government/2015/04/28/baltimore-is-a-democrat-problem-not-americas-problem/

Contrary to the emotional blackmail some leftists are attempting to peddle, Baltimore is not America’s problem or shame. That failed city is solely and completely a Democrat problem. Like many failed cities, Detroit comes to mind, and every city besieged recently by rioting, Democrats and their union pals have had carte blanche to inflict their ideas and policies on Baltimore since 1967, the last time there was a Republican Mayor.

In 2012, after four years of his own failed policies, President Obama won a whopping 87.4% of the Baltimore City vote. Democrats run the city of Baltimore, the unions, the schools, and, yes, the police force. Since 1969, there have only been only been two Republican governors of the State of Maryland.

Elijah Cummings has represented Baltimore in the U.S. Congress for more than thirty years. As I write this, despite his objectively disastrous reign, the Democrat-infested mainstream media is treating the Democrat like a local folk hero, not the obvious and glaring failure he really is.

Every single member of the Baltimore city council is a Democrat.

Liberalism and all the toxic government dependence and cronyism and union corruption and failed schools that comes along with it, has run amok in Baltimore for a half-century, and that is Baltimore’s problem. It is the free people of Baltimore who elect and then re-elect those who institute policies that have so spectacularly failed that once-great city. It is the free people of Baltimore who elected Mayor Room-To-Destroy.

You can call the arson and looting and violence we are seeing on our television screens, rioting. That’s one way to describe the chaos. Another way to describe it is Democrat infighting. This is blue-on-blue violence. The thugs using the suspicious death of Freddie Gray (at the hands of a Democrat-led police department) to justify the looting that updates their home entertainment systems, are Democrats protesting Democrat leaders and Democrat policies in a Democrat-run city.

But MSNBC's Chris Matthews, of "thrill going up my leg" notoriety, has found someone else to blame on his show Hardball two days ago. Instead of being the result of failed policies that Matthews has given full-throated support of for many years, Matthews -- in an exchange with former Congressman Kweisi Mfume (who's district covered half of Baltimore) -- declared that right-to-work states are the real culprits. He accused them of stealing jobs away from union controlled Baltimore as declaring that this was in part the reason that the city is in economic distress.

I'm always still in trouble again

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
              "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
              "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

Originally posted by rogue06 View Post
                But MSNBC's Chris Matthews, of "thrill going up my leg" notoriety, has found someone else to blame on his show Hardball two days ago. Instead of being the result of failed policies that Matthews has given full-throated support of for many years, Matthews -- in an exchange with former Congressman Kweisi Mfume (who's district covered half of Baltimore) -- declared that right-to-work states are the real culprits. He accused them of stealing jobs away from union controlled Baltimore as declaring that this was in part the reason that the city is in economic distress.

So, Chris Matthews is campaigning for one of the Late Night Show slots?
                The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

And, perhaps this whole "Baltimore cops beat up this poor guy" narrative is not exactly accurate?

Source: WashPost

BALTIMORE — A prisoner sharing a police transport van with Freddie Gray told investigators that he could hear Gray “banging against the walls” of the vehicle and believed that he “was intentionally trying to injure himself,” according to a police document obtained by The Washington Post.

The prisoner, who is currently in jail, was separated from Gray by a metal partition and could not see him. His statement is contained in an application for a search warrant, which is sealed by the court. The Post was given the document under the condition that the prisoner not be named because the person who provided it feared for the inmate’s safety.

The document, written by a Baltimore police investigator, offers the first glimpse of what might have happened inside the van. It is not clear whether any additional evidence backs up the prisoner’s version, which is just one piece of a much larger probe.

The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

nice. Leak some info. I've never been too comfortable with this practice of leaks.
                    Watch your links! http://www.theologyweb.com/campus/fa...corumetiquette

Comment

Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post
                      And, perhaps this whole "Baltimore cops beat up this poor guy" narrative is not exactly accurate?

BALTIMORE — A prisoner sharing a police transport van with Freddie Gray told investigators that he could hear Gray “banging against the walls” of the vehicle and believed that he “was intentionally trying to injure himself,” according to a police document obtained by The Washington Post.

The prisoner, who is currently in jail, was separated from Gray by a metal partition and could not see him. His statement is contained in an application for a search warrant, which is sealed by the court. The Post was given the document under the condition that the prisoner not be named because the person who provided it feared for the inmate’s safety.

The document, written by a Baltimore police investigator, offers the first glimpse of what might have happened inside the van. It is not clear whether any additional evidence backs up the prisoner’s version, which is just one piece of a much larger probe.

Not sure if that would account for a severed spine

I'm always still in trouble again

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
                      "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
                      "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

I'm not sure this information is all that reliable because the other prisoner was partitioned apart and couldn't see Gray... so even if his account was true, he couldn't know for sure that it was Gray throwing himself against the wall and not someone else. I also don't see how that could have severed his spine.
                        "I am not angered that the Moral Majority boys campaign against abortion. I am angry when the same men who say, "Save OUR children" bellow "Build more and bigger bombers." That's right! Blast the children in other nations into eternity, or limbless misery as they lay crippled from "OUR" bombers! This does not jell." - Leonard Ravenhill

Comment

Any autopsy reports yet? If another prisoner was in the van then I guess a rough ride is probably out of the question.
                          "As for my people, children are their oppressors, and women rule over them. O my people, they which lead thee cause thee to err, and destroy the way of thy paths." Isaiah 3:12

There is no such thing as innocence, only degrees of guilt.

Comment

Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post

Does this mean we're looking at another Trayvon Martin and Michael Brown?
                            Some may call me foolish, and some may call me odd
                            But I'd rather be a fool in the eyes of man
                            Than a fool in the eyes of God

From "Fools Gold" by Petra

Comment

Originally posted by Mountain Man View Post
                              Does this mean we're looking at another Trayvon Martin and Michael Brown?
                              Yeah, let's loot and burn and get free stuff and cause mayhem, THEN look at why we're doing it.

(Then claim, "well, the problem is systemic, and needs to be addressed")

Comment

Originally posted by Darth Executor View Post
                                Any autopsy reports yet? If another prisoner was in the van then I guess a rough ride is probably out of the question.
                                And supposedly the officers are insisting that they look at the vehicle's GPS track, which would show speed, direction, etc. Perhaps this is why Baltimore officials are trying to play down the release of information.

Comment