Announcement

Collapse

Civics 101 Guidelines

Want to argue about politics? Healthcare reform? Taxes? Governments? You've come to the right place!

Try to keep it civil though. The rules still apply here.
See more
See less

2014: Year of the fainting couch

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by rogue06 View Post
    Shouldn't them rattlers be depicted as being in Austin, especially in the capitol building?
    There are some places even snakes won't go. To its credit, Austin's symbol does look a lot like a gay fire hydrant.

Comment

• Getting back to complaints about the use of Redskins:

And to add a bit of humor into the mix, three years ago a High School in Utah had the name "Cougars" rejected as a mascot because there were concerns that it would offend middle-aged women.

And my personal favorite... back in 2010 over across the pond in Britain it was decided that you cannot advertise for ''reliable workers'' because it discriminated against unreliable people!

I'm always still in trouble again

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
      "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
      "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

Shouldn't them rattlers be depicted as being in Austin, especially in the capitol building?
        sorry. All I saw was the steak.

Comment

And my personal favorite... back in 2010 over across the pond in Britain it was decided that you cannot advertise for ''reliable workers'' because it discriminated against unreliable people!
          I find that perfectly crumulent. After all, pirates need jobs too.

Comment

• Originally posted by Sparko View Post
            I find that perfectly crumulent. After all, pirates need jobs too.
            But you're reliably piratical

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
            "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
            "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

and a piradical, to boot!
              The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

I was thinking more about the "worker" slur.

Comment

• Originally posted by Zymologist View Post
                  I believe that their renaming of "Asian carp" to "invasive carp" equates being Asian with being invasive, which I find offensive.
                  I didn't realize that one nonsensical reason for wanting a name change means that all reasons for wanting a name change are nonsensical (which seems to be what is being sarcastically implied here).
                  Learn to do right; seek justice. Defend the oppressed. Take up the cause of the fatherless; plead the case of the widow.--Isaiah 1:17

I don't think that all forms o[f] slavery are inherently immoral.--seer

Comment

• Originally posted by square_peg View Post
                    I didn't realize that one nonsensical reason for wanting a name change means that all reasons for wanting a name change are nonsensical (which seems to be what is being sarcastically implied here).
                    I'm not sure what you mean here. I was just trying to be as absurd as possible, since there seems to be no limit to the absurdities that are used to justify offense.
                    I DENOUNCE DONALD J. TRUMP AND ALL HIS IMMORAL ACTS.

Comment

I'm not sure what you mean here. I was just trying to be as absurd as possible, since there seems to be no limit to the absurdities that are used to justify offense.
                      Yeah, but the Redskins issue isn't absurd, regardless of what one may ultimately conclude about it, whereas the one about Asian carp clearly is.

The Redskins issue primarily deals with whether "redskin" is indeed a slur (and it is provably true that it was at least used in a negative manner at one point), and what measures should be taken in response, whereas "Asian" indisputably is not a slur.
                      Last edited by fm93; 01-16-2015, 05:26 PM.
                      Learn to do right; seek justice. Defend the oppressed. Take up the cause of the fatherless; plead the case of the widow.--Isaiah 1:17

Comment

Yeah, but the Redskins issue isn't absurd, regardless of what one may ultimately conclude about it, whereas the one about Asian carp clearly is.
                        Oh, that's what you meant. I wasn't trying to say anything particularly profound. My comment was directed at the Asian carp thing, not the Redskins thing.

Comment

I guess I might have some cognitive dissonance on that one. I think the Redskins should be changed, but I have no problem going for the Chiefs and simply don't see why it's considered offensive.
                          "I am not angered that the Moral Majority boys campaign against abortion. I am angry when the same men who say, "Save OUR children" bellow "Build more and bigger bombers." That's right! Blast the children in other nations into eternity, or limbless misery as they lay crippled from "OUR" bombers! This does not jell." - Leonard Ravenhill

Comment

• Serious question: would the people who find "Redskins" offensive find "Apache" (as in Apache helicopter) offensive as well?

Edit: the more I think about it, the dumber I think this question is. Nevermind.

Comment

Oh, that's what you meant. I wasn't trying to say anything particularly profound. My comment was directed at the Asian carp thing, not the Redskins thing.
                              I see.

Originally posted by KingsGambit View Post
                              I guess I might have some cognitive dissonance on that one. I think the Redskins should be changed
                              For the record, I always personally thought Redskins was an uninspiring name, even if no one thought it was offensive, and that it could stand to be changed for that alone.

but I have no problem going for the Chiefs and simply don't see why it's considered offensive.
                              Huh. Has anyone ever publicly pushed for them to change their name? I don't recall ever hearing that.

But now that you mentioned the Chiefs, I'm just curious--what's your opinion on the Tomahawk Chop (or war chant, if Chiefs fans call it something else)?
                              Last edited by fm93; 01-16-2015, 05:53 PM.

Comment

Serious question: would the people who find "Redskins" offensive find "Apache" (as in Apache helicopter) offensive as well?

Edit: the more I think about it, the dumber I think this question is. Nevermind.
                                Not really. There have been moves to force schools and the like to stop having teams named Apaches and the like. Starting in the 1990s Arcadia High School in Arcadia, California, which has the team name the Apaches, was under pressure to drop the Apache name. The school claims that the name and its connections help educate their students about American Indians. Each year, students travel to the White Mountain Apache Indian Reservation to participate in parades and tribal culture. In exchange Apache dancers come to Arcadia and students hold fundraisers for tribal causes. The principle of Arcadia High at the time, Martin Plourde, points out that this provided an "unbelievable connection for our kids to be able to visit the reservation and see that the Apaches are not a people of the ‘Broken Arrow’ era, that they are a current modern day people and they struggle just like a lot of people struggle.”

A quick check shows that they have been able to resist efforts from the state of California to change their name.

Comment