Announcement

Collapse

Civics 101 Guidelines

Want to argue about politics? Healthcare reform? Taxes? Governments? You've come to the right place!

Try to keep it civil though. The rules still apply here.
See more
See less

2014: Year of the fainting couch

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Jesse View Post
    I am not real sure where you are going with this? Are those women in your above paragraph making a big deal about them being against this nail polish or self-defense? Are they creating entire articles about it? Are they trying to create some fake "national conversation" narrative out of it? If the answer is no, then you might want to ask why that is. Could it be that they think their concern doesn't need to trump everyone else's? You are not getting the point. You having a concern about something does not mean you get an unchallenged soap box from which to shout. I am sorry square_peg, but if someone decides to use the public forum to push any kind of trivial bull-crap, expect someone to call you out on it. There are no untouchable snowflakes here.
    This just shows he doesn't know very many rape victims. I know a few and I haven't seen any men 'blaming them' for it (two of them got married to some pretty good men too). They actually are pretty supportive of ways to avoid being the victim of rape. It is just like learning to drive or any other activity. You need to prepare yourself for those who can't drive or those who choose to do stupid things, while driving (such as getting drunk and getting behind the wheel). This doesn't mean you'll always avoid people who choose to do stupid things, with their choices (after all, even careful drives do end up getting hit by the drunk too). While I do agree people shouldn't drink and drive, the realty is that they will. Likewise, the reality is that rapist will always exist and telling men 'not to rape' is no more going to stop them than telling people not to drink and drive is not going to prevent drinking and driving. Preparing people for the reality that people will do stupid and harmful things to others is a far better use of your time and effort (thus why those 'don't rape people' classes have not shown any evidence of working).
    "The man from the yacht thought he was the first to find England; I thought I was the first to find Europe. I did try to found a heresy of my own; and when I had put the last touches to it, I discovered that it was orthodoxy."
    GK Chesterton; Orthodoxy

Comment

I fear going to college because I'm going have to deal with these non-thick skinned things called classmates.
      "Kahahaha! Let's get lunatic!"-Add LP
      "And the Devil did grin, for his darling sin is pride that apes humility"-Samuel Taylor Coleridge
      Oh ye of little fiber. Do you not know what I've done for you? You will obey. ~Cerealman for Prez.

Comment

Originally posted by lilpixieofterror View Post
        This just shows he doesn't know very many rape victims. I know a few and I haven't seen any men 'blaming them' for it (two of them got married to some pretty good men too). They actually are pretty supportive of ways to avoid being the victim of rape. It is just like learning to drive or any other activity. You need to prepare yourself for those who can't drive or those who choose to do stupid things, while driving (such as getting drunk and getting behind the wheel). This doesn't mean you'll always avoid people who choose to do stupid things, with their choices (after all, even careful drives do end up getting hit by the drunk too). While I do agree people shouldn't drink and drive, the realty is that they will. Likewise, the reality is that rapist will always exist and telling men 'not to rape' is no more going to stop them than telling people not to drink and drive is not going to prevent drinking and driving. Preparing people for the reality that people will do stupid and harmful things to others is a far better use of your time and effort (thus why those 'don't rape people' classes have not shown any evidence of working).
        You make an excellent point. For someone to teach a woman NOT to protect herself is the peak of stupidity. And I can guarantee you that square_peg has no idea why that sort of idiocy is not being paraded around. There will always be those out there that will do what they want regardless of actions or laws. Most people understand this. Which is why his idea of "everyone's opinion and concern matters" does not work in the real world.
        "Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience." ― C.S. Lewis, God in the Dock: Essays on Theology (Making of Modern Theology)

Comment

Originally posted by Cerealman View Post
          I fear going to college because I'm going have to deal with these non-thick skinned things called classmates.
          You would do well to steer clear of a whole lot of them. Pick your associates carefully.
          Micah 6:8 He has told you, O man, what is good; and what does the LORD require of you but to do justice, and to love kindness, and to walk humbly with your God?

Comment

If it is human nature to be "self-centered", than it isn't a condition that needs to be coddled. It is not our job to help anyone with their self-centeredness. But here we are, telling them they are indeed self-centered. I consider that helping.
            Are you actually reading my posts? If some people were indeed self-centered, I never advocated that they be "coddled" or "helped" with their self-centeredness; rather, I said that we ought to help them become less self-centered. Sitting back and scoffing at them doesn't accomplish that.

The writers and commenters are not the ones out there waving the "look at me" signs. If you don't want the attention, don't fly the flag in a public forum.

Showing support for those whom you agree with is not selflessness. You are getting self-centeredness confused with agreement. No one is talking about that.
            What I mean is (as the article mentioned) cases such as refusing to call the football team the Redskins, or banning George Will from speaking on campuses. The people who've done this aren't trying to draw attention to themselves. They refuse to call the football team a certain name because they want to show solidarity for Native Americans who have specifically said that they consider the name a slur. The people banning George Will from speaking on campus do so because they want to support rape survivors by sending the message that they won't tolerate people who say such ridiculous things about women who've been raped. Those particular examples hardly seem to fall under your category of "self-centered."

I am not real sure where you are going with this? Are those women in your above paragraph making a big deal about them being against this nail polish or self-defense? Are they creating entire articles about it? Are they trying to create some fake "national conversation" narrative out of it? If the answer is no, then you might want to ask why that is. Could it be that they think their concern doesn't need to trump everyone else's? You are not getting the point. You having a concern about something does not mean you get an unchallenged soap box from which to shout. I am sorry square_peg, but if someone decides to use the public forum to push any kind of trivial bull-crap, expect someone to call you out on it. There are no untouchable snowflakes here.
            ...From where do you get the impression that the people mentioned in the article were "trying to have their concern trump everyone else's?"

Again, not anyone's job to help them with whatever personal hangups they might have. If they need that, seek a therapist. But if you are going to make your stupidity public, be prepared for someone to point it out to you.
            So...you won't at all consider the option of helping people achieve better understanding and maturity?
            Learn to do right; seek justice. Defend the oppressed. Take up the cause of the fatherless; plead the case of the widow.--Isaiah 1:17

I don't think that all forms o[f] slavery are inherently immoral.--seer

Comment

Originally posted by lilpixieofterror View Post
              Careful now guys. Soon, he'll start whining on threads in the psychotherapy room how he should be able to ignore you two as well for daring to disagree with him.
              I didn't start a thread asking to be able to ignore you, and it was because you're often gratuitously rude and obtuse, not because you disagree.

Or you could take the time to understand why people feel certain ways, even if you ultimately still disagree with them. No reason going to college if you don't at least learn how to do that.

You make an excellent point. For someone to teach a woman NOT to protect herself is the peak of stupidity. And I can guarantee you that square_peg has no idea why that sort of idiocy is not being paraded around. There will always be those out there that will do what they want regardless of actions or laws. Most people understand this. Which is why his idea of "everyone's opinion and concern matters" does not work in the real world.
              Yeah, this is why I felt you might not actually be reading my posts. I agree with what you said in this paragraph.
              Learn to do right; seek justice. Defend the oppressed. Take up the cause of the fatherless; plead the case of the widow.--Isaiah 1:17

Comment

Originally posted by square_peg
                Are you actually reading my posts? If some people were indeed self-centered, I never advocated that they be "coddled" or "helped" with their self-centeredness; rather, I said that we ought to help them become less self-centered. Sitting back and scoffing at them doesn't accomplish that.
                I do indeed read your posts, and that is the problem. They come off as confused and inconsistent. I will leave the quote up top as Exhibit A.

What I mean is (as the article mentioned) cases such as refusing to call the football team the Redskins, or banning George Will from speaking on campuses. The people who've done this aren't trying to draw attention to themselves. They refuse to call the football team a certain name because they want to show solidarity for Native Americans who have specifically said that they consider the name a slur. The people banning George Will from speaking on campus do so because they want to support rape survivors by sending the message that they won't tolerate people who say such ridiculous things about women who've been raped. Those particular examples hardly seem to fall under your category of "self-centered."
                Thanks for retreading for us all their concerns. It's not like we haven't heard these ad nauseam. And I will say it again, not everyone cares. And because you can get press for your personal grievance does not make it important enough to where everyone should stand up and take notice. Their trivial personal causes are not as important as they think.

...From where do you get the impression that the people mentioned in the article were "trying to have their concern trump everyone else's?"
                Get yourself familiar with the grievance industry then come back to this.

So...you won't at all consider the option of helping people achieve better understanding and maturity?
                Sure I would. How much does it pay? Professionals don't give out therapy sessions for free.

Yeah, this is why I felt you might not actually be reading my posts. I agree with what you said in this paragraph.
                Believe me, I read them.
                "Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience." ― C.S. Lewis, God in the Dock: Essays on Theology (Making of Modern Theology)

Comment

No one is deserving of mockery for being hysterical, and in regard to some of the listed issues, I don't believe that their response was unwarranted.
                  Square_peg believes that Alex Jones is a normal human being who should not be mocked.

Help people learn to cope and properly respond, or callously make fun of them and scoff at them?
                  Callousness and how you respond to it is the first test of the seriousness in which you hold your position.

Comment

You're black, long as you don't say anything that offends gays or Jews, you should be fine.

Comment

Originally posted by square_peg View Post
                      The problem is that in every instance I've seen, there's a reason given for the offense. That doesn't necessarily mean that it's perfectly justified, but it does seem to belie the claim that people are emphasizing feeling offense for no reason at all.
                      You are the tweb poster boy for being offended by everything. Including this thread!!!

Comment

I do indeed read your posts, and that is the problem. They come off as confused and inconsistent. I will leave the quote up top as Exhibit A.
                        You've yet to show how.

Thanks for retreading for us all their concerns. It's not like we haven't heard these ad nauseam. And I will say it again, not everyone cares. And because you can get press for your personal grievance does not make it important enough to where everyone should stand up and take notice. Their trivial personal causes are not as important as they think.
                        Right, which is precisely why I've been consistently advocating for kindly helping people, rather than sitting back and scoffing at them and not doing anything.

Get yourself familiar with the grievance industry then come back to this.
                        This is much too vague to be of any use.

Sure I would. How much does it pay? Professionals don't give out therapy sessions for free.
                        So you don't care about people who disagree with you.

Believe me, I read them.
                        Could've fooled me.

Comment

Originally posted by Sparko View Post
                          You are the tweb poster boy for being offended by everything. Including this thread!!!
                          If you had ever read the threads seriously, including this one, you'd know that I'm hardly offended by anything here at all. To the contrary, I've been trying to explain why OTHER people feel offended. But it seems that concepts like "having compassion for others" and "trying to earnestly understand where others are coming from" is completely foreign to you.
                          Last edited by fm93; 01-01-2015, 09:59 AM.

Comment

If you had ever read the threads seriously, including this one, you'd know that I'm hardly offended by anything here at all. To the contrary, I've been trying to explain why OTHER people feel offended. But it seems that concepts like "having compassion for others" and "trying to earnestly understand where others are coming from" is completely foreign to you.
                            Oh I am sorry. Did I offend you?

I guess I am glad you are here SP. I mean, without YOU personally here to tell us how offended everyone is, and defend them, the entire internet and world would collapse. So, thank you for your selfless service!

Comment

I'm not even always trying to defend them. Sometimes I actually agree with your side, but you and others start mocking and dismissing people without even understanding what their argument is. I just wanted to make sure that you understood it before you start criticizing it.

Comment

I'm not even always trying to defend them. Sometimes I actually agree with your side, but you and others start mocking and dismissing people without even understanding what their argument is. I just wanted to make sure that you understood it before you start criticizing it.
                                Explain it to me so I can criticize it. I haven't criticized anything all year!
                                The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment