Announcement

Collapse

Civics 101 Guidelines

Want to argue about politics? Healthcare reform? Taxes? Governments? You've come to the right place!

Try to keep it civil though. The rules still apply here.
See more
See less

No Room At The Inn?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Well, I do have one more last thing to say:

Originally posted by Adrift View Post
    Paul is using the familiar concept of slavery for illustrative purposes
    Not just Paul, and not just for illustrative purposes.

I refer you to Romans, 1 Corinthians, 2 Corinthians, Galatians, Ephesians, Philippians, Colossians, 2 Timothy, Titus, James, 2 Peter, Jude and the Revelation. In addition, the four Gospels, especially Jesus' teachings and parables, as well as Acts.

After all, whoever wants to be first must be slave of all.

Comment

• Originally posted by Paprika View Post
      Well, I do have one more last thing to say:
      always
      The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

• It is just the internet, but you know, it doesn't seem like such an odd request when you look at the broad picture. When a person posts thousands and thousands of posts over the course of very many years on an almost daily basis, you sort of build a mental image of who this person is. The image may be all wrong, but when a professed Christian consistently posts nothing but endless negativity, and seems to delight in the effect his negative behavior has...Its going to make people scratch their heads.
        Are you telling me that no Christian in history has ever been tempermentally irascible or combative or cantankerous? Especially those that established the Christian civilizations we have in the first place? Especially the Jews?

Especially when it doesn't match the model of behavior we see while reading the scriptures, or even of Christians we know in our personal lives. Maybe they're hurting physically or emotionally, and they come here to vent all of their anger and frustration at whoever will give them attention. Maybe its something else. I don't know. But it doesn't seem to me to be an odd question to ask of someone who is supposed to be a joint heir in Christ.
        We're here to remind you of the truths the world will try very hard to make sure you don't see. There is zero social pressure against talking blandly about helping the hurting, and it is, in fact considered a public sign or marker of belonging to a group which believes a whole bunch of other much less creditable things. There is extreme social and political pressure against talking concretely about duty, authority, honor, and ability, so you need those conversations here as much as possible just to make sure you don't backslide into the idiocies of the day, and if you do, to point it out for all the other smart humans reading that this is the consequence of holding on to folly.

Comment

• Methinks thou protest too much.

Comment

• Originally posted by Sparko View Post
            Methinks thou protest too much.
            Y'all just have to learn not to encourage me.

Comment

• Originally posted by Epoetker View Post
              Are you telling me that no Christian in history has ever been tempermentally irascible or combative or cantankerous? Especially those that established the Christian civilizations we have in the first place? Especially the Jews?
              Yeah, that makes sense.. a "Christian", which is a "little Christ" or "imitator of Christ", should act in a manner polar opposite to Christ. That makes a lot of sense!

AND, when Jesus said, "By this everyone will know that you are my disciples, if you love one another", He was only kidding, right?
              The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

• Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post
                always
                raven-exactly.gif
                That's what
                - She

Without a clear-cut definition of sin, morality becomes a mere argument over the best way to train animals
                - Manya the Holy Szin (The Quintara Marathon)

I may not be as old as dirt, but me and dirt are starting to have an awful lot in common
                - Stephen R. Donaldson

Comment

Yeah, that makes sense.. a "Christian", which is a "little Christ" or "imitator of Christ", should act in a manner polar opposite to Christ. That makes a lot of sense!
                  Christ wasn't combative?
                  "As for my people, children are their oppressors, and women rule over them. O my people, they which lead thee cause thee to err, and destroy the way of thy paths." Isaiah 3:12

There is no such thing as innocence, only degrees of guilt.

Comment

• Originally posted by Darth Executor View Post
                    Christ wasn't combative?
                    CERTAINLY not 100% of the time, Darthy. DO try to keep up.

Comment

Christ wasn't combative?
                      It's really sad, Darthy, that you have such a screwed up view of Christ that you would post such a ridiculous comment.

We have already discussed the cleansing of the temple, and the fact that Jesus acted in righteous indignation - or even anger if you want to call it that. I have no problem with that - including the cursing of the fig tree.

That's not what defined him, though. You guys are like petulant little children mocking who Christ was to justify your own penchant for being fractious, and pretending to win debates.

Do you REALLY think that the most prominent feature or character or nature of Christ was a combative nature? HONESTLY?

To take those EXCEPTIONS and paint Christ as "combative" is to mock all He came to do -- healing, forgiving, feeding the 5,000, investing his time and energy into the disciples, washing their feet, teaching them about love....

That you can even make such a comment in a mocking fashion portraying Christ as "combative" is beyond my comprehension.

Is that all Christ is to you, Darthy? "Combative"?

Comment

• Originally posted by Epoetker View Post
                        Are you telling me that no Christian in history has ever been tempermentally irascible or combative or cantankerous?
                        We are not called to be like them, Epo. We are called to be like Christ. Because some "Christian in history" acted tempermentally [sic] is totally beside the point.

I'll ask you the same question. Do you honestly believe that the overriding nature of Christ was that he acted "tempermentally" [sic] or was "irascible" or "combative"?

When somebody asks you who Jesus is or was -- is that where you would start?

Comment

CERTAINLY not 100% of the time, Darthy. DO try to keep up.
                          Who said 100% of the time? Oh right, nobody. You just made that up on your own. Your second post is also full of lies. IE:

"that's not what defined him, though."

Nobody said it was, you just made that up.

"Do you REALLY think that the most prominent feature or character or nature of Christ was a combative nature?"

There is no point in having a discussion with liars who manufacture words to put in the mouths of others as an excuse to go on another deranged tirade about how combative THEY are, lacking any sense of irony whatsoever. Maybe you should worry less about Christ's character and more about yours:

You are of your father the devil, and your will is to do your father's desires. He was a murderer from the beginning, and does not stand in the truth, because there is no truth in him. When he lies, he speaks out of his own character, for he is a liar and the father of lies.
                          Is this who you want to be? A hypocrite who considers being combative beyond the pale but lies at the drop of a hat just to have a straw man he can win against?
                          "As for my people, children are their oppressors, and women rule over them. O my people, they which lead thee cause thee to err, and destroy the way of thy paths." Isaiah 3:12

There is no such thing as innocence, only degrees of guilt.

Comment

Combative
                            adjective
                            ready or inclined to fight; pugnacious:

Christ was always ready and when it comes to certain people definitely inclined to figh them. God is not a coward or a weasel like you.
                            Jesus was not defined by His "figh" [sic], Darth. He was defined by his sacrificial death and atonement, even though He COULD have fought that.

Comment

• Scholarly studies on the historical Jesus have demonstrated, of course, that Jesus enjoyed racial trolling with a Hitler avatar.
                              אָכֵ֕ן אַתָּ֖ה אֵ֣ל מִסְתַּתֵּ֑ר אֱלֹהֵ֥י יִשְׂרָאֵ֖ל מוֹשִֽׁיעַ׃

Comment

Combative
                                adjective
                                ready or inclined to fight; pugnacious:

Christ was always ready and when it comes to certain people definitely inclined to figh them. God is not a coward or a weasel like you.

"The Lord will fight for you, and you have only to be silent.”

Who said 100% of the time? Oh right, nobody. You just made that up on your own. Your second post is also full of lies. IE:

"that's not what defined him, though."

"Do you REALLY think that the most prominent feature or character or nature of Christ was a combative nature?"

There is no point in having a discussion with liars who manufacture words to put in the mouths of others as an excuse to go on another deranged tirade about how combative THEY are, lacking any sense of irony whatsoever. Maybe you should worry less about Christ's character and more about yours:

Is this who you want to be? A hypocrite who considers being combative beyond the pale but lies at the drop of a hat just to have a straw man he can win against?
                                I think you misunderstand CP's point, because he was contrasting Jesus with you. You ARE always combative (at least it seems that way)...even when unnecessary...Unlike Christ who was combative only when necessary.
                                "What has the Church gained if it is popular, but there is no conviction, no repentance, no power?" - A.W. Tozer

"... there are two parties in Washington, the stupid party and the evil party, who occasionally get together and do something both stupid and evil, and this is called bipartisanship." - Everett Dirksen

Comment