Announcement

Collapse

Civics 101 Guidelines

Want to argue about politics? Healthcare reform? Taxes? Governments? You've come to the right place!

Try to keep it civil though. The rules still apply here.
See more
See less

No Room At The Inn?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Adrift View Post
    I don't see that tagline here anymore (maybe i'm looking in the wrong place though). Maybe the new owners can change it so that that is no longer the tagline. It doesn't seem very accurate anyways. There are over 50 subforums on this website, and only a few of them ever see much debate. And even then, the types of threads we see in those areas range from debate, to congenial discussion, to all out spammy silliness. There are websites out there that are nothing but debate forums where that's all that's done, but this website doesn't appear to be one of them.
    You can't have a community, without some areas to get to know one another in, but read what the forum rules and parts say.

Edited to add:

Here is what the Apologetics 301 guidelines says:

If you think this is the area where you tell everyone you are sorry for eating their lunch out of the fridge, it probably isn't the place for you

This forum is open discussion between atheists and all theists to defend and debate their views on religion or non-religion. Please respect that this is a Christian-owned forum and refrain from gratuitous blasphemy. VERY wide leeway is given in range of expression and allowable behavior as compared to other areas of the forum, and moderation is not overly involved unless necessary. Please keep this in mind. Atheists who wish to interact with theists in a way that does not seek to undermine theistic faith may participate in the World Religions Department. Non-debate question and answers and mild and less confrontational discussions can take place in General Theistics.
    http://www.theologyweb.com/campus/announcement.php?f=60

Civics 101:

Want to argue about politics? Healthcare reform? Taxes? Governments?

You've come to the right place!

Try to keep it civil though. The rules still apply here.
    http://www.theologyweb.com/campus/announcement.php?f=41

Natural Science 301:

This is an open forum area for all members for discussions on all issues of science and origins. This area will and does get volatile at times, but we ask that it be kept to a dull roar, and moderators will intervene to keep the peace if necessary. This means obvious trolling and flaming that becomes a problem will be dealt with, and you might find yourself in the doghouse.

As usual, Tweb rules apply. If you haven't read them now would be a good time.
    http://www.theologyweb.com/campus/announcement.php?f=62

So clearly, some parts are debates and might get a little rough and tumble.
    Last edited by lilpixieofterror; 12-21-2014, 04:17 PM.
    "The man from the yacht thought he was the first to find England; I thought I was the first to find Europe. I did try to found a heresy of my own; and when I had put the last touches to it, I discovered that it was orthodoxy."
    GK Chesterton; Orthodoxy

Comment

• Originally posted by lilpixieofterror View Post
      You can't have a community, without some areas to get to know one another in, but read what the forum rules and parts say.
      I'm talking about even in those areas where debate goes on, its not just debate all the time. Sometimes its just general discussion, and sometimes its just good fellowship.

I just skimmed through the new FAQ, and the current Mission Statement reads,

Source: http://www.theologyweb.com/campus/faq.php?faq=theologywebfaq#faq_theologywebmissionstatement

Our goal is to encourage discussion, promote growth from the knowledge shared amongst participants and have free and open debate in the marketplace of ideas.

© Copyright Original Source

Free and open debate is third in that list behind promoting discussion, and sharing knowledge. Debate still seems like an important aspect of the website, but it doesn't seem like its the only one, or even the primary one.

Comment

I'm talking about even in those areas where debate goes on, its not just debate all the time. Sometimes its just general discussion, and sometimes its just good fellowship.

I just skimmed through the new FAQ, and the current Mission Statement reads,

Source: http://www.theologyweb.com/campus/faq.php?faq=theologywebfaq#faq_theologywebmissionstatement

Our goal is to encourage discussion, promote growth from the knowledge shared amongst participants and have free and open debate in the marketplace of ideas.

© Copyright Original Source

Free and open debate is third in that list behind promoting discussion, and sharing knowledge. Debate still seems like an important aspect of the website, but it doesn't seem like its the only one, or even the primary one.
        Which means this place is indeed for debate too.
        "The man from the yacht thought he was the first to find England; I thought I was the first to find Europe. I did try to found a heresy of my own; and when I had put the last touches to it, I discovered that it was orthodoxy."
        GK Chesterton; Orthodoxy

Comment

Which means this place is indeed for debate too.
          I don't think I've denied that, or at least, I'm not intending to offer that impression. What I'm saying is that its not primarily a debate forum. At least, it doesn't seem to be.

Comment

I don't think I've denied that, or at least, I'm not intending to offer that impression. What I'm saying is that its not primarily a debate forum. At least, it doesn't seem to be.
            I never said it was, but look at the general context of which I was responding to:

"If TWeb were to be a debate forum, there would need to be more rules and much more strict moderation, judging, point scoring, etc. More importantly, in a true debate, the participants should be willing and able to argue both sides of a point in order increase one's understanding of all perspectives on an issue. I think of TWeb as more of a discussion site, 'though not always a civil one."

And the forum rules do indeed show this place is, among other things, a place of debate too (we even have a formal debate forum too).
            GK Chesterton; Orthodoxy

Comment

I don't see that tagline here anymore (maybe i'm looking in the wrong place though). Maybe the new owners can change it so that that is no longer the tagline. It doesn't seem very accurate anyways. There are over 50 subforums on this website, and only a few of them ever see much debate. And even then, the types of threads we see in those areas range from debate, to congenial discussion, to all out spammy silliness. There are websites out there that are nothing but debate forums where that's all that's done, but this website doesn't appear to be one of them.
              Well, from the Mission Statement:

"Our goal is to encourage discussion, promote growth from the knowledge shared amongst participants and have free and open debate in the marketplace of ideas."

Also, while there are over 50 subforums, the debate ones are by far the most popular ones. More importantly though, just because there are non-debate forums does not mean that some people don't come here just for the debates. This has been my focus of late because many of the people who made the non-debate areas fun are gone. Joking about bacon really isn't near the top of my list of hobbies.
              "As for my people, children are their oppressors, and women rule over them. O my people, they which lead thee cause thee to err, and destroy the way of thy paths." Isaiah 3:12

There is no such thing as innocence, only degrees of guilt.

Comment

• Originally posted by pancreasman View Post
                I certainly don't come here to debate, even less to 'fight'.
                And yet most of your posts revolve around you arguing, chastising people and picking fights with them. All while pretending you're above it all, which makes it all the more comical.
                Last edited by Darth Executor; 12-21-2014, 04:57 PM.
                "As for my people, children are their oppressors, and women rule over them. O my people, they which lead thee cause thee to err, and destroy the way of thy paths." Isaiah 3:12

Comment

So what do you have now?
                  You tell me. Apparently you see a problem there that I don't.

The Europeans where among those helping to slap on the shackles of slavery, to support their colonial empires, but didn't have much slavery in their home lands. Might be why the issue of slavery is a wee bit of a touch subject here in the US. Because we had to deal directly with the consequences of it.
                  Exactly, hence 'Yankee' instead of 'western'. You're welcome for the correction.

Too bad I didn't attack you on your spelling or grammar eh? Well, guess when you can't refute the logic, whine about spelling and/or grammar and hope your poor logic disappears into a puff of smoke. Remember Pap, unlike CP and some of the others here. I have no issue with slapping you around with your own stupidity. Now do you want to answer the point yet or perhaps you want to correct some a few more grammar errors to help out your self esteem?
                  Oh, the question?

Words do have both a definition and a connotation, this is basic stuff that you learn you English and public speaking classes. Did you not take those courses, in college pap?
                  No. Are you telling me you didn't know that until college, and needed to learn it from a course?

Comment

• Originally posted by Darth Executor View Post
                    And yet most of your posts revolve around you arguing, chastising people and picking fights with them. All while pretending you're above it all, which makes it all the more comical.
                    I think you might be seeing 'picking fights' because that is all you are looking for. By all means ask around and see whether your characterisation of me is accurate or more of this mysterious 'projection' you talk about.

Comment

I think you might be seeing 'picking fights' because that is all you are looking for. By all means ask around and see whether your characterisation of me is accurate or more of this mysterious 'projection' you talk about.
                      I can only go by what I've seen since I've been back, but yeah, I haven't gotten the impression that you pick fights so far.

Comment

I can only go by what I've seen since I've been back, but yeah, I haven't gotten the impression that you pick fights so far.
                        Be quiet, you!

Comment

How about this:

http://www.theologyweb.com/campus/sh...140#post136140

You picked a fight with pixie for no reason whatsoever.

inb4 extended diatribe about how you weren't really picking a fight

Comment

How about this:

http://www.theologyweb.com/campus/sh...140#post136140

You picked a fight with pixie for no reason whatsoever.

inb4 extended diatribe about how you weren't really picking a fight
                            Actually, if you check the further context, you will see I was kidding her for missing the sarcastic thrust of Whag's earlier post. Don't let accuracy stand in your way.

Comment

Actually, if you check the further context, you will see I was kidding her for missing the sarcastic thrust of Whag's earlier post. Don't let accuracy stand in your way.
                              My apologies, your diatribe did not turn out to be extended at all.

pancreasman: you idiot
                              pancreasman: just kidding
                              pancreasman: this is not an example of me picking a fight

Passive-aggressive is still aggressive.

Comment

My apologies, your diatribe did not turn out to be extended at all.

pancreasman: you idiot
                                pancreasman: just kidding
                                pancreasman: this is not an example of me picking a fight

Passive-aggressive is still aggressive.
                                well that's just a plain lie. I never called her an idiot. Passive aggressive my great aunt. That's just another term like projection you throw around because because you can only see human interactions in combat terms.

Comment