Announcement

Collapse

Civics 101 Guidelines

Want to argue about politics? Healthcare reform? Taxes? Governments? You've come to the right place!

Try to keep it civil though. The rules still apply here.
See more
See less

Racial Profiling?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Zymologist View Post
    FWIW, the only people I've seen who even use the term "reverse racism" (an odd phrase) are liberals who have essentially redefined racism to be only white-on-black, or white-on-minority.
    Yeah, I'm familiar with "reverse discrimination", but never heard "reverse racism".
    The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

• Originally posted by Mountain Man View Post
      I could care less about personal anecdotes, especially ones that come from a friend of a friend. Let's see some hard facts from a credible source.

And if you took from Sheriff Clarke's statements that his department practiced racial profiling then you're a moron, because that's clearly not what he said.
      Giving square_peg's interpretation of the events the benefit of the doubt, is what happened to the couple right or wrong?

Comment

• Originally posted by Kristian Joensen View Post
        Giving square_peg's interpretation of the events the benefit of the doubt....
        Since when is THAT a good idea?
        The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

• Originally posted by square_peg View Post
          Kindly take this phrase, soak it in cat feces,[ and shove it in your mouth.
          So can you think of another way to say:

"Makes excuses, for criminal behavior, due to a person's race"?

Race baiter sounds pretty accurate to what you do anyway. That is, when you're not busy making excuses for criminal behavior and acting as though police don't have the right to defend their own life.

They'd probably search the man, but unless they actually heard that the suspect was male, that's wrong. They shouldn't be assuming that a criminal must be a man.
          I didn't say they did. There was a robbery in the area and they are basing their judgment on a profile they received. If they are looking for a man, in connection to a crime, what sense does it make for them to look at woman in connection to the same crime? This sort of absurd logic makes zero sense. The fact is though, seems to be lost upon your brand of idiocy.

It's not.
          Yet, you have no evidence that they are. Men more likely to be involved in a crime vs women and as a result, men are more likely to be questioned in connection to a crime.

I'm not sure if this is actually true or not, but even if it is, it doesn't follow that men are likely to be robbers. Just like the claim that criminals are likely to be black doesn't mean that black people are likely to be criminals.
          Nobody said it did (you really need to work on those reading comprehension skills). In connection to a crime, men are more likely to be the criminal in most types of crimes vs women. You can look it up, if you don't believe me. Woman are 9 times less likely to be incarcerated than men are. White women, in peculiar, are the least likely sub group to be criminal offenders offenders. These are facts and not something I made up, but something that is supported by the data when you look at arrest records, jail records, yearly crime reports, etc. When it comes to offenders police are going to be looking for, the male is more likely to be involved in a crime vs the female and therefore, is more likely to be the one stopped by police. It has nothing to do with 'profiling', but has to do with simple reality. Men are more likely to be involved in connection to crimes and therefore are more likely to be stopped by police vs woman.
          Last edited by Jedidiah; 12-06-2014, 04:12 PM.
          "The man from the yacht thought he was the first to find England; I thought I was the first to find Europe. I did try to found a heresy of my own; and when I had put the last touches to it, I discovered that it was orthodoxy."
          GK Chesterton; Orthodoxy

Comment

• Originally posted by Kristian Joensen View Post
            Giving square_peg's interpretation of the events the benefit of the doubt, is what happened to the couple right or wrong?
            As purely a hypothetical then it could be a case of unfair racial profiling, but I'm not willing to grant that the actual event went down exactly how square_peg claims.
            Some may call me foolish, and some may call me odd
            But I'd rather be a fool in the eyes of man
            Than a fool in the eyes of God

From "Fools Gold" by Petra

Comment

• Originally posted by Mountain Man View Post
              As purely a hypothetical then it could be a case of unfair racial profiling, but I'm not willing to grant that the actual event went down exactly how square_peg claims.
              After all, he still thinks the "hands up" thing is a true portrayal of what happened to Brown.

Comment

• Originally posted by Zymologist View Post
                FWIW, the only people I've seen who even use the term "reverse racism" (an odd phrase) are liberals who have essentially redefined racism to be only white-on-black, or white-on-minority.
                Huh. That's literally the exact opposite of what I've seen. I've only seen far-right conservatives use that term when referring to things like affirmative action.

Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post
                After all, he still thinks the "hands up" thing is a true portrayal of what happened to Brown.

I have repeatedly said that I'm accepting Wilson's testimony as completely true, which is the OPPOSITE of that. That you said something this egregiously incorrect suggests to me that you haven't been reading my posts at all.
                Learn to do right; seek justice. Defend the oppressed. Take up the cause of the fatherless; plead the case of the widow.--Isaiah 1:17

I don't think that all forms o[f] slavery are inherently immoral.--seer

Comment

I have repeatedly said that I'm accepting Wilson's testimony as completely true, which is the OPPOSITE of that.
                  Glad to hear that --- sorry I got it wrong.

That you said something this egregiously incorrect suggests to me that you haven't been reading my posts at all.
                  "egregiously" incorrect? Ever since that incredibly dumb "analogy", I've had a hard time taking you seriously.

Comment

I have repeatedly said that I'm accepting Wilson's testimony as completely true, which is the OPPOSITE of that. That you said something this egregiously incorrect suggests to me that you haven't been reading my posts at all.
                    You were quite willing to imply here that he was lying.
                    Veritas vos Liberabit<>< Learn Greek <>< Look here for an Orthodox Church in America<><Ancient Faith Radio
                    sigpic
                    I recommend you do not try too hard and ...research as little as possible. Such weighty things give me a headache. - Shunyadragon, Baha'i apologist

Comment

• Originally posted by One Bad Pig View Post
                      I implied that it was a possibility that he was lying about Brown charging towards him (as I find it difficult to believe that anyone would full-on rush a man after having been shot multiple times); I didn't say that that he was lying about Brown moving forward, and I especially didn't say that I believe Brown was literally shot with his hands raised in clear surrender. Besides, if you look at that post again, you'll noticed that I raised what I believe is the more likely scenario: that Brown was staggering forward after having been shot and in the heat of the moment, Wilson misperceived it as a full-on rush.
                      Learn to do right; seek justice. Defend the oppressed. Take up the cause of the fatherless; plead the case of the widow.--Isaiah 1:17

I don't think that all forms o[f] slavery are inherently immoral.--seer

Comment

• Originally posted by One Bad Pig View Post

Oooooops!

Comment

I implied that it was a possibility that he was lying about Brown charging towards him (as I find it difficult to believe that anyone would full-on rush a man after having been shot multiple times); I didn't say that that he was lying about Brown moving forward, and I especially didn't say that I believe Brown was literally shot with his hands raised in clear surrender. Besides, if you look at that post again, you'll noticed that I raised what I believe is the more likely scenario: that Brown was staggering forward after having been shot and in the heat of the moment, Wilson misperceived it as a full-on rush.
                          So your assertion here regarding your statements as to Wilson's truthfulness only applies to the position of Brown's hands? I was under the impression it was more general than that, which is why I brought this up.

Also, it doesn't take reading more than a handful of citations for the Congressional Medal of Honor to know that people can still be capable of full-on rushing even after having been shot more than once.
                          Veritas vos Liberabit<>< Learn Greek <>< Look here for an Orthodox Church in America<><Ancient Faith Radio
                          sigpic
                          I recommend you do not try too hard and ...research as little as possible. Such weighty things give me a headache. - Shunyadragon, Baha'i apologist

Comment

Huh. That's literally the exact opposite of what I've seen. I've only seen far-right conservatives use that term when referring to things like affirmative action.
                            I think it's a nonsensical phrase, regardless.
                            I DENOUNCE DONALD J. TRUMP AND ALL HIS IMMORAL ACTS.

Comment

I have repeatedly said that I'm accepting Wilson's testimony as completely true
                              You might SAY that, yet your posts belie that as true. You have consistently spun around in circles trying to find a loophole that Wilson did wrong, and keep claiming that various witnesses show it didn't happen the way Wilson claimed.

Just like you SAY you are not a liberal, when your posts show that you are.

Comment

• Originally posted by Sparko View Post
                                You might SAY that, yet your posts belie that as true. You have consistently spun around in circles trying to find a loophole that Wilson did wrong, and keep claiming that various witnesses show it didn't happen the way Wilson claimed.

Just like you SAY you are not a liberal, when your posts show that you are.
                                It could be that he just likes to argue.

Comment