Announcement

Collapse

Civics 101 Guidelines

Want to argue about politics? Healthcare reform? Taxes? Governments? You've come to the right place!

Try to keep it civil though. The rules still apply here.
See more
See less

Racial Profiling?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by square_peg View Post
    Because obviously liberals are known for opposing abortion and nearly all of Obama's war policies. Excellent logic.

See, this is what I mean when I say you often misrepresent what I say. My posts don't have any reference to being downtrodden or being a victim. That is entirely a projection on your part, as are your allegations of racism.

What I'm referring to is "Congratulations, you found ONE black person who bizarrely is content with being treated in an irrational and demeaning manner. But that one black person doesn't speak for all black people. Many, many more black people are not okay with being racially profiled."
    and there you go, proving me right again. You can't just help saying stupid things can you? Saying that someone black who disagrees with you is being treated in an irrational and demeaning manner, and that they must be some special kind of bizarre is something a racist like you would say.

My city's police chief is black too and he has said the same thing. How is he or the chief of Ferguson "content with being treated in an irrational and demeaning manner?" They are the highest law enforcement individuals in their respective cities.

I guess Obama is our "token black president" then?

Comment

• Originally posted by One Bad Pig View Post
      Charles Barkley talking plainly
      Turrible.
      Learn to do right; seek justice. Defend the oppressed. Take up the cause of the fatherless; plead the case of the widow.--Isaiah 1:17

I don't think that all forms o[f] slavery are inherently immoral.--seer

Comment

• Originally posted by Sparko View Post
        My city's police chief is black too and he has said the same thing. How is he or the chief of Ferguson "content with being treated in an irrational and demeaning manner?"
        Because being racially profiled is inherently irrational and demeaning, so it's troubling to hear someone claim to be okay with it.

I guess Obama is our "token black president" then?
        Hopefully not. If America is to truly fulfill its claims of standing for equality and opportunity, then every qualified black person should stand an equal shot at getting elected into office.

Also, you don't seem to actually understand what tokenism means. It's often racist, yes, but it's the people who say "Oh look, we have a black president now. Racism is over!" who are the ones demonstrating it with that mindset.
        Learn to do right; seek justice. Defend the oppressed. Take up the cause of the fatherless; plead the case of the widow.--Isaiah 1:17

Comment

Because being racially profiled is inherently irrational and demeaning, so it's troubling to hear someone claim to be okay with it.

Hopefully not. If America is to truly fulfill its claims of standing for equality and opportunity, then every qualified black person should stand an equal shot at getting elected into office.

Also, you don't seem to actually understand what tokenism means. It's often racist, yes, but it's the people who say "Oh look, we have a black president now. Racism is over!" who are the ones demonstrating it with that mindset.
          and nobody has said that racial profiling is good, But both Clarke and my city's police chief have said that they don't do racial profiling and that allegations of it have all proven false. It is just another tool liberals love to drag out to make the police look bad and claim they are victimizing black kids. Do you think a black police chief would put up with such tactics? Apparently since you call them "tokens"

Comment

Because obviously liberals are known for opposing abortion and nearly all of Obama's war policies. Excellent logic.
            Not all liberals support abortion, and not all liberals support Obama's war policies. Have you argued against either here?

Annoyed, more like it.
            No, frustrated. What you suggested was juvenile.
            She (and other people here, apparently) will never understand that when minorities like myself speak on the topic of race, we do so from our own life experience,
            And we don't?
            drawing from aspects of our very identity, parts of who we are and what we've lived through.
            and we don't?
            It is deeply, deeply insulting to not only ignore everything we say, but then dismiss and distort our words and act like we're playing a game here, rather than speaking the truth that we've each individually personally lived.
            Then why do you do the very same thing to us? Hypocrite much?

You may not consider yourself a liberal, but I have yet to see you argue from a non-liberal perspective here.
            Enter the Church and wash away your sins. For here there is a hospital and not a court of law. Do not be ashamed to enter the Church; be ashamed when you sin, but not when you repent. – St. John Chrysostom

Veritas vos Liberabit<>< Learn Greek <>< Look here for an Orthodox Church in America<><Ancient Faith Radio
            sigpic
            I recommend you do not try too hard and ...research as little as possible. Such weighty things give me a headache. - Shunyadragon, Baha'i apologist

Comment

You guys are still missing the point. We have so many people of color explicitly saying that they feel deeply insulted and demeaned when they're racially profiled, but you seem to be trying to use the person who constitutes an extremely rare exception as the authoritative voice to override all their concerns. It's similar to the 99% white company that hires one black person and then claims that they're diverse and non-discriminatory, that the exception constitutes the rule--which is called tokenism.
              No, what I see are blacks claiming they've been racially profiled even in cases where the police have a legitimate reason to take a closer look at them and despite the fact that the vast majority of police action taken against minorities does not fit even a loose definition of "racial profiling".

But I love the logic that if a white police officer says that racial profiling doesn't happen then he's a racist, and if a black police officer says that racial profiling doesn't happen then he's a "token minority". It's a bit like "Heads, I win; tails, you lose."
              Some may call me foolish, and some may call me odd
              But I'd rather be a fool in the eyes of man
              Than a fool in the eyes of God

From "Fools Gold" by Petra

Comment

Obama wasn't elected because he was qualified. He was elected because he was black. He had ZERO qualifications for national office - zip nada zilch.

Same with winning the Nobel Peace Prize. What, EXACTLY, did he do to EARN that?
                The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

Annoyed, more like it. She (and other people here, apparently) will never understand that when minorities like myself...
                  I didn't know you were a minority!

I'll have to hunt for that study.... there were a bunch of "use of force" with "jury decision" cases printed and a test given to students of Criminal Justice. I'm thinking it may have been my daughter who showed me this, because one of her degrees was in Criminal Justice.

Anyway, in these "case studies", the race of the subject and the arresting officer were withheld, and the facts laid out as to the encounter, the officer's initial response, the progress of the arrest, and the Grand Jury's finding.

In EVERY SINGLE CASE where a black man was inadvertently killed by a white officer (but the identity by race was withheld) over 90% of students agreed with the Grand Jury's finding. Where the EXACT SAME CIRCUMSTANCES were spelled out, but the identity of the officer was white and the subject was black, the overwhelming number of black students found the Grand Jury decided inappropriately.

I believe if the media had not prejudiced the Brown case with endless hype about "hands up" and all the "witness testimony", and had, instead, presented the ACTUAL FACTS of the case, there'd be FAR FEWER blacks upset with the Grand Jury's decision.
                  The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

• Originally posted by Sparko View Post
                    and nobody has said that racial profiling is good, But both Clarke and my city's police chief have said that they don't do racial profiling and that allegations of it have all proven false. It is just another tool liberals love to drag out to make the police look bad and claim they are victimizing black kids. Do you think a black police chief would put up with such tactics? Apparently since you call them "tokens"
                    Well, Clarke was quoted as saying "Those guidelines aren't going to mean anything to me. He's not in a position to tell local law enforcement anything about training or standards. That's nothing more than a scurrilous charge. I'm not going to let him get away with it. I'm going to continue to push back on behalf of the men and women all across this country who go out and risk their lives in service to the community." The part about training and standards sounded to me like he WAS saying that his department practices racial profiling and that he was refusing to stop.

Originally posted by One Bad Pig View Post
                    Not all liberals support abortion, and not all liberals support Obama's war policies. Have you argued against either here?
                    I don't recall how often I've explicitly said anything about the latter, but I've mentioned many times on this site that I oppose abortion except in extreme circumstances (such as if bringing the child to term will severely jeopardize the mother's life).

And we don't?
                    Whenever I see you guys talking about race, you're usually trying to dismiss something as not racist, or occasionally making odd claims of "reverse racism." So no.

Then why do you do the very same thing to us?
                    I don't.

Comment

Well, Clarke was quoted as saying "Those guidelines aren't going to mean anything to me. He's not in a position to tell local law enforcement anything about training or standards. That's nothing more than a scurrilous charge. I'm not going to let him get away with it. I'm going to continue to push back on behalf of the men and women all across this country who go out and risk their lives in service to the community."

The part about training and standards sounded to me like he WAS saying that his department practices racial profiling and that he was refusing to stop.
                      That's just dumb. You have to WORK to get that from what he said!

Whenever I see you guys talking about race, you're usually trying to dismiss something as not racist, or occasionally making odd claims of "reverse racism." So no.
                      When I see something as NOT racist, yes... I dismiss it as NOT racist. It's not racist simply because a minority claims it is.

Comment

• Originally posted by Mountain Man View Post
                        No, what I see are blacks claiming they've been racially profiled even in cases where the police have a legitimate reason to take a closer look at them and despite the fact that the vast majority of police action taken against minorities does not fit even a loose definition of "racial profiling".
                        The girl whom I mentioned earlier said that her Asian aunt was asked whether she personally knew the African-American uncle. I have only heard of that question being asked by police in the context of investigating kidnappings, thereby implying that they thought he had kidnapped her. Additionally, KingsGambit mentioned earlier that an officer in his town was recorded as saying that he pulled over a suspect because he was black, which is essentially a clear-cut admission of profiling.

But I love the logic that if a white police officer says that racial profiling doesn't happen then he's a racist, and if a black police officer says that racial profiling doesn't happen then he's a "token minority". It's a bit like "Heads, I win; tails, you lose."
                        As I said in a previous post, it seemed from the initial quote that Clarke was saying that his department practiced profiling.

Comment

As I said in a previous post, it seemed from the initial quote that Clarke was saying that his department practiced profiling.
                          Note what that far right extremist ACLU says about racial profiling....

The ACLU's Campaign Against Racial Profiling fights law enforcement and private security practices that disproportionately target people of color for investigation and enforcement. We represent individuals who have been victims of racial profiling by airlines, police, and government agencies. We investigate and advocate against racially-biased police practices, including stop-and-frisk. Our work also encompasses major initiatives in public education and advocacy, including the creation of essential resources, lobbying for the passage of data collection and anti-profiling legislation, and litigation of airline and highway profiling cases.

Now, look VEWWY VEWWY CWOSWY, and note that there's a word "disproportionately" as an adverb to the word "target".

Comment

The girl whom I mentioned earlier said that her Asian aunt was asked whether she personally knew the African-American uncle. I have only heard of that question being asked by police in the context of investigating kidnappings, thereby implying that they thought he had kidnapped her. Additionally, KingsGambit mentioned earlier that an officer in his town was recorded as saying that he pulled over a suspect because he was black, which is essentially a clear-cut admission of profiling.

I could care less about personal anecdotes, especially ones that come from a friend of a friend. Let's see some hard facts from a credible source.

And if you took from Sheriff Clarke's statements that his department practiced racial profiling then you're a moron, because that's clearly not what he said.
                            Some may call me foolish, and some may call me odd
                            But I'd rather be a fool in the eyes of man
                            Than a fool in the eyes of God

From "Fools Gold" by Petra

Comment

I don't recall how often I've explicitly said anything about the latter, but I've mentioned many times on this site that I oppose abortion except in extreme circumstances (such as if bringing the child to term will severely jeopardize the mother's life).
                              Okay.
                              What does that have to do with whether or not we speak from our own life experiences?
                              I don't.
                              You just DID!
                              Enter the Church and wash away your sins. For here there is a hospital and not a court of law. Do not be ashamed to enter the Church; be ashamed when you sin, but not when you repent. – St. John Chrysostom

Veritas vos Liberabit<>< Learn Greek <>< Look here for an Orthodox Church in America<><Ancient Faith Radio
                              sigpic
                              I recommend you do not try too hard and ...research as little as possible. Such weighty things give me a headache. - Shunyadragon, Baha'i apologist

Comment

• FWIW, the only people I've seen who even use the term "reverse racism" (an odd phrase) are liberals who have essentially redefined racism to be only white-on-black, or white-on-minority.
                                I DENOUNCE DONALD J. TRUMP AND ALL HIS IMMORAL ACTS.

Comment