Announcement

Collapse

Civics 101 Guidelines

Want to argue about politics? Healthcare reform? Taxes? Governments? You've come to the right place!

Try to keep it civil though. The rules still apply here.
See more
See less

Guns

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by firstfloor View Post
    I think he means that he would prefer it if I was a girl. I like CP so much that I’m happy to go along with the fantasy.
    Gosh.

I'm speechless.

Except, of course, what I said in my prior post.
    The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

• Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post
      The article FF cited is interesting, as it seems to label as "myths" the perception by many that these shootings and violence take place due to mental illness. I'm wondering if FF actually read the article she cited.
      From the same article:

“There is one exception, however, that runs through all of the data: violence against oneself. Mental illness, Swanson has found, increases the risk of gun violence when that violence takes the form of suicide.”

“In all of his work, Swanson has found one recurring factor: past violence remains the single biggest predictor of future violence. “Any history of violent behavior is a much stronger predictor of future violence than mental-health diagnosis,” he told me.”

Comment

From the same article:

“There is one exception, however, that runs through all of the data: violence against oneself. Mental illness, Swanson has found, increases the risk of gun violence when that violence takes the form of suicide.”
        Yes, suicide - not murder.

“In all of his work, Swanson has found one recurring factor: past violence remains the single biggest predictor of future violence. “Any history of violent behavior is a much stronger predictor of future violence than mental-health diagnosis,” he told me.”
        Exactly! When I was a kid, we weren't allowed to sass back at teachers, disrepect adults, even call adults by first names.... there were moral absolutes and we didn't have parents rushing to the schools to accuse them of being too harsh on Johnny... we backed up our teachers. If I got a swat at school, I got TWO at home, and it was CLEAR that I was to submit to the authority at school.

Oh, and we had to actually WORK if we wanted a trophy, prize, or good grades!

If I misbehaved at school, I wasn't applauded --- I had the board of education applied firmly to my seat of learning.
        The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

ooops... um.... at the risk of sounding like a male chauvinist pig.... FF's "logic" often strikes me as.....

um... well.....

ok, go ahead and kick me in the stomach and get it over with.
          Okay.
          If it weren't for the Resurrection of Jesus, we'd all be in DEEP TROUBLE!

Comment

Yes, suicide - not murder.
            He was a suicide.

Exactly! When I was a kid, we weren't allowed to sass back at teachers, disrepect adults, even call adults by first names.... there were moral absolutes and we didn't have parents rushing to the schools to accuse them of being too harsh on Johnny... we backed up our teachers. If I got a swat at school, I got TWO at home, and it was CLEAR that I was to submit to the authority at school.

Oh, and we had to actually WORK if we wanted a trophy, prize, or good grades!

If I misbehaved at school, I wasn't applauded --- I had the board of education applied firmly to my seat of learning.
            "Factors Which Increase Risk of Violent Behavior

Numerous research studies have concluded that a complex interaction or combination of factors leads to an increased risk of violent behavior in children and adolescents. These factors include:

Previous aggressive or violent behavior
            Being the victim of physical abuse and/or sexual abuse
            Exposure to violence in the home and/or community
            Genetic (family heredity) factors
            Exposure to violence in media (TV, movies, etc.)
            Use of drugs and/or alcohol
            Presence of firearms in home
            Combination of stressful family socioeconomic factors (poverty, severe deprivation, marital breakup, single parenting, unemployment, loss of support from extended family)
            Brain damage from head injury"

http://www.aacap.org/AACAP/Families_...scents_55.aspx

Comment

ooops... um.... at the risk of sounding like a male chauvinist pig.... FF's "logic" often strikes me as.....

um... well.....
              Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post
              CP,
              Why do you refer to FF as "she"?
              Are you ignorant of the fact that he's a guy, or are you just trying to be petty?
              Do you have any basis to believe that FF is female?

ok, go ahead and kick me in the stomach and get it over with.
              Done, you hypocrite.

Comment

• Originally posted by Paprika View Post
                hypocrite.
                Steady on! There was nothing malicious about CP’s slip or previous gender mistakes. It’s just a bit of friendly banter.

Comment

• so what's the point of this thread again?

Comment

• Originally posted by Sparko View Post
                    so what's the point of this thread again?
                    Bacon, what else

I'm always still in trouble again

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
                    "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
                    "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

• Originally posted by rogue06 View Post
                      Bacon, what else
                      Which is why I have guns!

Comment

Which is why I have guns!
                        A (B)AK-47?

Or a Bacon-zooka

I'm always still in trouble again

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
                        "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
                        "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

• And another one. Veronica J Rutledge in Walmart. This might set a record for the youngest kid to shoot his mother.
                          http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-30636326
                          You know, it’s not the casualty rate that bothers me so much but that people are so frightened that they put guns in their bags when they go shopping. Is this fear justified? Come on Americans, get a grip.

Comment

And another one. Veronica J Rutledge in Walmart. This might set a record for the youngest kid to shoot his mother.
                            http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-30636326
                            You know, it’s not the casualty rate that bothers me so much but that people are so frightened that they put guns in their bags when they go shopping. Is this fear justified? Come on Americans, get a grip.
                            In South Africa, both my parents used to carry a gun when out on their own. And even when going Mountain biking in grips in the local timber plantations is at the point where people go armed for safety.
                            Be watchful, stand firm in the faith, act like men, be strong.
                            1 Corinthians 16:13

"...he [Doherty] is no historian and he is not even conversant with the historical discussions of the very matters he wants to pontificate on."
                            -Ben Witherington III

Comment

• Originally posted by pancreasman View Post
                              Ok, this thread is open to all, I'd just ask we keep the conversation about ideas and not 'you're an idiot'.

Article

Oklahoma woman shot dead by her 3 year old son after he finds loaded gun under couch. She was in the army BTW.

I'm just using this article as a focus for the wider issue of gun death that the US has.

Does the US have an issue with gun death (especially when compared to other countries)?

Is there a way forward? What can we do, both as individuals and as communities?

Is there a particularly Christian response to this issue? What should it be?

You know I'm a demon filled progressive pinko communist with an iPad. You can probably guess where at least some of my thoughts lie, so I will not even post them. I'm interested in how you might respond.
                              The problem here is that the woman left a loaded gun under her couch where her son could find it. That was just stupid.
                              Some may call me foolish, and some may call me odd
                              But I'd rather be a fool in the eyes of man
                              Than a fool in the eyes of God

From "Fools Gold" by Petra

Comment

• Interesting fact:

Since the 1997 gun ban in England, there has only been one year where homocides dropped below the pre-ban rates. Immediately following the ban, homocide rates saw a sharp spike that took a a decade to come down.

http://crimepreventionresearchcenter...fter-gun-bans/

In contrast, multiple studies in the US have shown an inverse correlation between the rate of gun ownership and violent crime.

http://www.forbes.com/sites/larrybel...rimes-plummet/
                                Last edited by Mountain Man; 12-31-2014, 08:20 AM.
                                Some may call me foolish, and some may call me odd
                                But I'd rather be a fool in the eyes of man
                                Than a fool in the eyes of God

From "Fools Gold" by Petra

Comment