Announcement

Collapse

Civics 101 Guidelines

Want to argue about politics? Healthcare reform? Taxes? Governments? You've come to the right place!

Try to keep it civil though. The rules still apply here.
See more
See less

Fast Food Workers Strike - Anybody Affected?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Sparko View Post
    I want a plane!!
    Why not TWO?
    The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post
      Why not TWO?
      Yeah!! I am going on strike!

Comment

Disclosure --- I haven't eaten at McDondalds or Burger King or Wendy's in the last 6 months, probably longer.

Or any other fast food restaurant, for that matter. (Except, I think I ate a Beefy's Roast Barf last month)
        Last edited by Cow Poke; 09-05-2014, 04:42 PM.
        The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

Disclosure --- I haven't eaten at McDondalds or Burger King or Wendy's in the last 6 months, probably longer.

Or any other fast food restaurant, for that matter. (Except, I think I ate a Beefy's Roast Barf last month)
          I don't either because I could cook.
          "The man from the yacht thought he was the first to find England; I thought I was the first to find Europe. I did try to found a heresy of my own; and when I had put the last touches to it, I discovered that it was orthodoxy."
          GK Chesterton; Orthodoxy

Comment

Originally posted by lilpixieofterror View Post
            I don't either because I could cook.
            You COULD? Or you DO!

Yeah, I'm cooking more than eating out. Fresher better stuff.

Comment

You COULD? Or you DO!

Yeah, I'm cooking more than eating out. Fresher better stuff.
              Both. We don't go normally out and when we do, it isn't to something like McD's.
              "The man from the yacht thought he was the first to find England; I thought I was the first to find Europe. I did try to found a heresy of my own; and when I had put the last touches to it, I discovered that it was orthodoxy."
              GK Chesterton; Orthodoxy

Comment

We finally reached the age of escape.

For instance you go to McD's as a kid because you like the food. You go as a teen because it was a place to meet your friends. You went as a 20 something because you only had a couple dollars and at least you could get something to nibble on. Then when you finally thought you escaped it you have kids who want to go because they like the food!

It's a vicious cycle

I'm always still in trouble again

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
                "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
                "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

Originally posted by Sparko View Post
                  Yeah!! I am going on strike!
                  Don't you first have to be doing something to be on strike against?

I'm always still in trouble again

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
                  "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
                  "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

Originally posted by rogue06 View Post
                    Don't you first have to be doing something to be on strike against?
                    hmmm.

Comment

Originally posted by tabibito View Post
                      The question needs addressing: what is the good of paying workers barely enough to buy food and pay for shelter? Who benefits? Your workers can't buy anything, which means that other people can't sell anything, which means that no-one can buy your thing.
                      Costs for a company go up, and it's only reasonable for the company to increase its charges to compensate.
                      Costs for a worker go up, ....
                      Company makes the highest profit possible on the smallest outlay possible - sound business sense.
                      Worker makes the highest profit possible on the smallest outlay possible - rapacious greed.
                      Economics says that everyone, repeat, everyone tries to maximize profits (not necessarily in the form of pay per hour) and minimize costs (say, 5 hours of hard work instead of 7 hours of hard work).

Comment

So, for those who have never managed multiple employees, there's often a budget line item or section called "head count" or "labor" or "hours" or something else where a certain percentage or dollar amount is allotted per month for employee costs. (Employees are, after all, a COST)

If I have X dollars (or percent of budget) and the cost of EACH EMPLOYEE goes up by 50 to 100%, my only real option is to schedule FEWER of these more costly employees to do the same job.

So, SOME employees may be making more dollars per hour, but working LESS HOURS. How, exactly, does that help?

Comment

Originally posted by Zymologist View Post
                          I still don't understand why, if raising the minimum wage is such an obviously good thing, we shouldn't raise it even higher. Sooner or later we must see the problem with that.
                          Tradeoffs in economics aren't necessarily 1:1. Raising the minimum wage to a certain point will cause a certain amount of inflation, but will also raise the economic well-being of a certain number of people. It's conceivable that raising it anywhere up to a certain point would raise well-being substantially more than it would raise inflation, and beyond which point the social and economic benefits of well-being might no longer out-weigh the costs of inflation and other effects of a raised minimum wage.
                          Don't call it a comeback. It's a riposte.

Comment

Originally posted by Spartacus View Post
                            Tradeoffs in economics aren't necessarily 1:1. Raising the minimum wage to a certain point will cause a certain amount of inflation, but will also raise the economic well-being of a certain number of people. It's conceivable that raising it anywhere up to a certain point would raise well-being substantially more than it would raise inflation, and beyond which point the social and economic benefits of well-being might no longer out-weigh the costs of inflation and other effects of a raised minimum wage.
                            So, as is the case of so many companies I know of, budgets are TIGHT, so where does the company get these extra dollars in their "labor" budgets?

Comment

So, as is the case of so many companies I know of, budgets are TIGHT, so where does the company get these extra dollars in their "labor" budgets?
                              One place to find a few cents could be the CEO pay and benefits. It's also possible that a substantial increase in wages might lead directly to only a marginal increase in the price of the product.
                              Don't call it a comeback. It's a riposte.

Comment

Seems better to have fast food customers soak up the costs instead of inflicting them on everybody else.
                                "As for my people, children are their oppressors, and women rule over them. O my people, they which lead thee cause thee to err, and destroy the way of thy paths." Isaiah 3:12

There is no such thing as innocence, only degrees of guilt.

Comment