Announcement

Collapse

Civics 101 Guidelines

Want to argue about politics? Healthcare reform? Taxes? Governments? You've come to the right place!

Try to keep it civil though. The rules still apply here.
See more
See less

Fast Food Workers Strike - Anybody Affected?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Sparko View Post
    Yep. Basically something for a little extra money, or for kids just starting out. The incentive is to get out of that rut and earn more. Finish school.

If McD's paid their workers $15/hour, they would have to charge $10 for a hamburger. If all fast food restaurants did the same, then fast food prices would inflate, which means that $15/hour would just buy less as the prices spread amongst all other industries. They would be in the same boat as now, at the bottom of the ladder wanting more.
    new amen button

Comment

• Originally posted by Sparko View Post
      The pay is not as bad as that. It is generally paid to teenagers who live at home and those going to school. They generally don't have a family to support. It is a way for people to get into the work force and work their way up, or have some extra spending money. It is not meant as a household wage. They are on the bottom of the workforce. The ground level. UNSKILLED labor.

Now if you doubled their wage to $15/hour, then everyone higher on the work ladder is going to want more too. You don't think a college graduate would be happy with a minimum wage worker making as much as him do you? So basically all the wages increase in a ripple effect. Which means that it costs companies more to make things and more for people to buy things. The end result is that everything is exactly the same as it was before except everything costs more. No gain. the $15/hour will still be the entry level wage and they will still be dissatisfied and want more (because everything is more expensive). IT has already happened. Do you think $7.25 was always the min wage? No. It was lower and people wanted more. So they got more, and then prices went up and they were in the same boat. So they wanted more, and it continues.
      new amen button

Comment

• Originally posted by Epoetker View Post
        You really haven't had a good record on that whole 'setting people straight' thing. You need actual experience of reality for that.
        I am getting that from Darthy, am I not?
        The greater number of laws . . . , the more thieves . . . there will be. ---- Lao-Tzu

[T]he truth I’m after and the truth never harmed anyone. What harms us is to persist in self-deceit and ignorance -— Marcus Aurelius, Meditations

Comment

• Abby gets a job paying $X per hour. Not much pay, but the work is not too bad, albeit monotonous. Her coworkers are nice, easy to get along with, considerate and generous. She does make an effort to find better jobs, but always she decides to stay with Abby's WowBeef. Later on, lo and behold, the government sets the wage floor to above her pay level. Bang goes her job. Now she has to draw unemployment benefits while looking for the tragically few jobs that seems to hold a smidgen of promise. Meanwhile, the liberals are singing and dancing for joy.
          The greater number of laws . . . , the more thieves . . . there will be. ---- Lao-Tzu

[T]he truth I’m after and the truth never harmed anyone. What harms us is to persist in self-deceit and ignorance -— Marcus Aurelius, Meditations

Comment

• I haven't seen very many teenagers working at McDonalds lately, or Burger King.
            saw a couple at Sonic though.

I've seen late middle agers at McD's and B.K. who I know were laid off from factory work (I recognized them from visits to some of my accounts that are factories)

...they were so high, brought down low, I guess I shouldn't be surprised if some high-dollar factory foreman delivers my pizza.
            To say that crony capitalism is not true/free market capitalism, is like saying a grand slam is not true baseball, or like saying scoring a touchdown is not true American football ...Stefan Mykhaylo D

Comment