Announcement

Collapse

Civics 101 Guidelines

Want to argue about politics? Healthcare reform? Taxes? Governments? You've come to the right place!

Try to keep it civil though. The rules still apply here.
See more
See less

American Christianity�s White-Supremacy Problem

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Hypatia_Alexandria View Post
    It would appear that you do not care for the truth. Which is evident on this thread for any one to read. All they need to do is go page 18 and read the two following posts.

At post #172 I a post that contained this advice:

In reply to that precise sentence at post #179 you wrote:

As no other person was mentioned in my reply at post #172, who exactly were these "anti-semites" to which you referred and for whom you alleged I was carrying "water for"?

Or was there some imaginary character in your head?
    I was referring to you and your attempts to deny blood libel. I have no clue who you name nor do I really care. I have better things to do than chase your rabbit holes.

Comment

• Originally posted by Gondwanaland View Post
      I was referring to you and your attempts to deny blood libel. I have no clue who you name nor do I really care. I have better things to do than chase your rabbit holes.
      Your reply quoted my sentence that contained the reference to Cohn-Sherbok. That you [to quote a line] "want to backpedal now does not change it".

To quote another line "I understand you are desperately attempting to handwave away" your faux pas but no rational individual quotes a sentence that their interlocutor has written and then tries to pretend that the comment they quoted had nothing to do with their reply to it.
      "It ain't necessarily so
      The things that you're liable
      To read in the Bible
      It ain't necessarily so
      ."

Sportin' Life
      Porgy & Bess, DuBose Heyward, George & Ira Gershwin

Comment

• Originally posted by seer View Post
        Yet by 1938 that Nazi party won overwhelmingly, and you all knew who the Nazis were by then. 44,451,092 voted for the Nazis to take over the Reichstag and only 443,023 were against. So I will ask again, why do you keep pointing to our sins while trying to justify yours with the above pablum?
        The wiki article you cite refers to the plebiscite in April 1938 over the annexation of Austria that had taken place a month earlier in March. The entire thing was a publicity stunt for the rest of the world and there was only one party to vote for.

As ever the entire plebiscite was conducted with the usual Nazi intimidation as William Schirer recorded in his memoir of living in Hither's Germany, The Nightmare Years

"Greater German Reich", as Hitler now called it.

By 1938 Germany [and Austria] were under a brutal dictatorship and it took a great deal of bravery to resist that, particularly as reprisals from the regime would [and did] include family members. That so many did resist is testimony to their bravery.

So, given the situation prevailing in Germany at the time, let me ask you a personal question would you have risked your own life and that of your family in an attempt against such a regime?

Or would you have done what so many millions clearly did and kept your head down while hoping for better times?
        "It ain't necessarily so
        To read in the Bible
        It ain't necessarily so
        ."

Sportin' Life

Comment

• The funny thing about this thread is the focus on the hypothetical media-generated concept of white supremacy in America. But isn't the Chinese Asian supremacy the real issue in this world. Go to China and see how they treat you? You will realize the white guys (and Black guys and Hispanics) are treated as minorities. This is a bigger problem due to the shear number of Chinese in the world.

Comment

• Originally posted by oxmixmudd View Post
            Although it seems fair to grant the reference to apion could be called blood libel
            Except that it is not. The Jewish Virtual Library link that was provided makes the distinction between the blood libel and its origins that are to be found in blood sacrifices [a point I have previously made].

Jewish academic and Reform Rabbi, Dan Cohn-Sherbok writes that:

The Crusades and their aftermath thus brought into focus Christian contempt for those Jews who stubbornly clung to their ancient faith. [...] As a consequence of the passions unleashed against the Jews during the Crusades, by the twelfth century the Jewish community was charged with committing murder for ritual purposes. During the middle of the century Jews were accused specifically of killing Christian children and using their blood in the preparation of unleavened bread for Passover. The first case of ritual murder allegedly occurred in 1144 in Norwich, England.

Gavin I Langmuir [1924-2005 and a medievalist at Stanford University] wrote that:

Moreover, since the blood libel legend seemingly came later in time than the more general ritual murder, we may be able to do more than speculate when the first case of blood libel occurred. Much evidence seems to point to the events surrounding the death of William of Norwich, which took place in 1144. Many of those who have written on blood libel believe this to be the first documented instance of such an accusation. [My emphasis].

Jeremy Cohen [currently the Abraham and Edita Spiegel Family Foundation Professor of European Jewish History at Tel Aviv University] writes that:

blood in their perverse rituals, typically as an ingredient in baking unleavened bread [matzoh] for Passover, or concocting potions for curing leprosy.bloodnot eating human flesh
            "It ain't necessarily so
            To read in the Bible
            It ain't necessarily so
            ."

Sportin' Life

Comment

• Originally posted by mikewhitney View Post
              The funny thing about this thread is the focus on the hypothetical media-generated concept of white supremacy in America.
              I suggest you read the full article that the OP takes quotes from. You could even read Jones' book.
              "It ain't necessarily so
              To read in the Bible
              It ain't necessarily so
              ."

Sportin' Life

Comment

The wiki article you cite refers to the plebiscite in April 1938 over the annexation of Austria that had taken place a month earlier in March. The entire thing was a publicity stunt for the rest of the world and there was only one party to vote for.

As ever the entire plebiscite was conducted with the usual Nazi intimidation as William Schirer recorded in his memoir of living in Hither's Germany, The Nightmare Years

"Greater German Reich", as Hitler now called it.

By 1938 Germany [and Austria] were under a brutal dictatorship and it took a great deal of bravery to resist that, particularly as reprisals from the regime would [and did] include family members. That so many did resist is testimony to their bravery.

So, given the situation prevailing in Germany at the time, let me ask you a personal question would you have risked your own life and that of your family in an attempt against such a regime?

Or would you have done what so many millions clearly did and kept your head down while hoping for better times?
                It wasn't just about the annexation of Austria it was giving the Nazis full reign in the Reichstag. And over 400,000 managed to vote against the Nazi party. And the German people gave the Nazis full control after the persecution of the Jews started. I bet percentage wise more Americans were against slavery than Germans were against the persecution of the Jews. Yet you have the unmitigated gall to lecture us. That is called hypocrisy.
                Atheism is the cult of death, the death of hope. The universe is doomed, you are doomed, the only thing that remains is to await your execution...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jbnueb2OI4o&t=3s

Comment

I told you - we are born with a bent towards sin, a predisposition to sin.
                  As I understand it the later Christian ideas concerning "original sin" or "the original sin" are primarily derived from Augustine of Hippo. Augustine affirmed the powerful reality of original sin and that it could only be countermanded through the power of the resurrection, while the function of baptism purged it.

Or do you not agree with that?
                  "It ain't necessarily so
                  To read in the Bible
                  It ain't necessarily so
                  ."

Sportin' Life

Comment

Except that it is not. The Jewish Virtual Library link that was provided makes the distinction between the blood libel and its origins that are to be found in blood sacrifices [a point I have previously made].

Jewish academic and Reform Rabbi, Dan Cohn-Sherbok writes that:

The Crusades and their aftermath thus brought into focus Christian contempt for those Jews who stubbornly clung to their ancient faith. [...] As a consequence of the passions unleashed against the Jews during the Crusades, by the twelfth century the Jewish community was charged with committing murder for ritual purposes. During the middle of the century Jews were accused specifically of killing Christian children and using their blood in the preparation of unleavened bread for Passover. The first case of ritual murder allegedly occurred in 1144 in Norwich, England.

Gavin I Langmuir [1924-2005 and a medievalist at Stanford University] wrote that:

Moreover, since the blood libel legend seemingly came later in time than the more general ritual murder, we may be able to do more than speculate when the first case of blood libel occurred. Much evidence seems to point to the events surrounding the death of William of Norwich, which took place in 1144. Many of those who have written on blood libel believe this to be the first documented instance of such an accusation. [My emphasis].

Jeremy Cohen [currently the Abraham and Edita Spiegel Family Foundation Professor of European Jewish History at Tel Aviv University] writes that:

blood in their perverse rituals, typically as an ingredient in baking unleavened bread [matzoh] for Passover, or concocting potions for curing leprosy.bloodnot eating human flesh
                    Thanks for the clarification. I am still curious as to what is the driving significance of the apion claim GL is making. It would seem to me to be irrelavent one way or the other wrt christian sourced anti semitism.
                    My brethren, do not hold your faith in our glorious Lord Jesus Christ with an attitude of personal favoritism. James 2:1

If anyone thinks himself to be religious, and yet does not  bridle his tongue but deceives his own heart, this man’s religion is worthless James 1:26

This you know, my beloved brethren. But everyone must be quick to hear, slow to speak and slow to anger; James 1:19

Comment

It wasn't just about the annexation of Austria it was giving the Nazis full reign in the Reichstag. And over 400,000 managed to vote against the Nazi party. And the German people gave the Nazis full control after the persecution of the Jews started. I bet percentage wise more Americans were against slavery than Germans were against the persecution of the Jews. Yet you have the unmitigated gall to lecture us. That is called hypocrisy.
                      There you go again, making her guilty because of the sins of her ancestors. How does that work? How is she quilty and you are not? And Germany did in fact make restitution to Israel, even to individual jews affected by the holocaust, so where is there hypocrisy?
                      My brethren, do not hold your faith in our glorious Lord Jesus Christ with an attitude of personal favoritism. James 2:1

If anyone thinks himself to be religious, and yet does not  bridle his tongue but deceives his own heart, this man’s religion is worthless James 1:26

This you know, my beloved brethren. But everyone must be quick to hear, slow to speak and slow to anger; James 1:19

Comment

There you go again, making her guilty because of the sins of her ancestors. How does that work? How is she quilty and you are not? And Germany did in fact make restitution to Israel, even to individual jews affected by the holocaust, so where is there hypocrisy?
                        I'm using the logic she is using against the U.S. against her. She is not responsible for what her ancestors did.
                        Atheism is the cult of death, the death of hope. The universe is doomed, you are doomed, the only thing that remains is to await your execution...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jbnueb2OI4o&t=3s

Comment

I'm using the logic she is using against the U.S. against her. She is not responsible for what her ancestors did.
                          You are far too imprecise. The paradigm here doesn't create an ongoing permanent responsibility even if reparations have been made. In my example, if my generation paid back the stolen funds, future generations would not be liable to make additional payments if they squandered those repaid funds.

No, as I see it her stance includes the fact that they would be responsible, but is mitigated by the fact that her ancestors (unless she is over 68) did take responsibility and did attempt to make reparations. The issue here is that the US has never taken full responsibility as a nation for what it has done to its black citizens or to the Indians for that matter and has continued to perpetuate the problem in its culture to the present day.

Comment

Thanks for the clarification. I am still curious as to what is the driving significance of the apion claim GL is making. It would seem to me to be irrelavent one way or the other wrt christian sourced anti semitism.
                            He cited the Virtual Jewish Library article as evidence for his contention.

Yet that article clearly differentiates between the term "blood libel" and its origin [which is a separate sub-heading] and emphatically states in its opening sentence that "A Blood Libel is the allegation that Jews murder non-Jews, especially Christian children, in order to obtain blood for the Passover or other rituals"

The origin is then dealt with under a discussion of blood sacrifice, Jewish proscriptions regarding blood, and the misconceptions of non Jewish individuals who misinterpreted Jewish dietary and slaughtering practises as "ritual killings" [or "blood sacrifice"] which as I had already explained is a term that refers to any sacrificial killing of either an animal or a human victim for some designated reason.

However, he pointedly refuses to admit his error.

[Aside: without wishing to incur the wrath of moderators Gondwanaland and I know of one another from other internet fora]
                            "It ain't necessarily so
                            To read in the Bible
                            It ain't necessarily so
                            ."

Sportin' Life

Comment

What you are overlooking is the fact that white Christian Americans used Christianity to maintain their supremacy over black Americans and continued to segregate and oppress black Americans and deny them equality, for a century or more after the 1860s. Prejudices towards black Americans are still prevalent among many white Christian Americans today and there have been threads on this board that could be construed to hint at some of those prejudices.

Indeed the reaction that this thread has generated from some Christians does suggest to me that a nerve has been touched.
                              "It ain't necessarily so
                              To read in the Bible
                              It ain't necessarily so
                              ."

Sportin' Life

Comment

It wasn't just about the annexation of Austria it was giving the Nazis full reign in the Reichstag.
                                They had already achieved that after 1933. There were no opposition parties. Do you really believe Hitler was overseeing a democracy?

Originally posted by seer View Post
                                And over 400,000 managed to vote against the Nazi party.
                                And?

And the German people gave the Nazis full control
                                As I explained in a previous reply, the German people never"gave the Nazis full control" in free and fair democratic elections.

afterthe persecution of the Jews started.
                                No they did not. The German people never overwhelmingly voted for the Nazis under free and fair democratic elections. The election of March 1933 was neither democratic nor fair.

The systematic persecution of Jews began gradually. The Nuremberg Laws were not passed until 1935 by which time the country was under total Nazi dictatorship.

Edited: Now perhaps you would like to answer that question I put to you earlier.

Given the situation prevailing in Germany at the time, would you have risked your own life and that of your family in an attempt against such a regime?
                                Last edited by Hypatia_Alexandria; 09-09-2020, 09:02 PM.
                                "It ain't necessarily so
                                To read in the Bible
                                It ain't necessarily so
                                ."

Sportin' Life

Comment