Announcement

Collapse

Civics 101 Guidelines

Want to argue about politics? Healthcare reform? Taxes? Governments? You've come to the right place!

Try to keep it civil though. The rules still apply here.
See more
See less

American Christianity�s White-Supremacy Problem

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by oxmixmudd View Post
    What I get is that you are using the same argument used by the men of sodom and gommorah to try to silence an honest voice with legitimate points and questions.
    What I get is a feeling that a rather raw nerve has been touched concerning negative views of black Americans among white Christian Americans.
    "It ain't necessarily so
    The things that you're liable
    To read in the Bible
    It ain't necessarily so
    ."

Sportin' Life
    Porgy & Bess, DuBose Heyward, George & Ira Gershwin

Comment

• Originally posted by Hypatia_Alexandria View Post
      The article and the book are both written by Americans and the article is published in an American magazine.

Do you not realise that?

I have merely provided a thread about the issue.
      So what? The point is you have no room to judge...
      Atheism is the cult of death, the death of hope. The universe is doomed, you are doomed, the only thing that remains is to await your execution...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jbnueb2OI4o&t=3s

Comment

What I get is a feeling that a rather raw nerve has been touched concerning negative views of black Americans among white Christian Americans.
        How about the negative views of blacks in your country?

Being Black in Berlin

https://www.handelsblatt.com/english...bIowE7o6qg-ap2
        Atheism is the cult of death, the death of hope. The universe is doomed, you are doomed, the only thing that remains is to await your execution...

Comment

• Originally posted by seer View Post
          You said Liberty University which wasn't an accredited university until the 1980s.
          I quoted you some facts about Falwell's past and his initial "college". That it became Liberty University which then did take black students [in all probability out of fear that it might lose its tax free status] does not alter his previous racist educational policies and his racist outlook.

Originally posted by seer View Post
          Harriet Beecher Stowe from my home town fought for the vote for both Blacks and women, that is one that comes to mind. Thaddeus Stevens was another.
          See you are doing it again, assuming my motives. And why would I be seeing my own face
          Ah you did not recognise the quote. However, your persistently affronted comments that someone [in this instance an American academic and Christian] has dared to point out the prevalence of negative views among many white American Christians towards their fellow black citizens does give me pause for thought. I detect an element of protesting too much in your replies.

- I had nothing to do with slavery, Jim Crow or segregation.
          Who has accused you of being responsible for any of those things?
          "It ain't necessarily so
          To read in the Bible
          It ain't necessarily so
          ."

Sportin' Life

Comment

How about the negative views of blacks in your country?

Being Black in Berlin

https://www.handelsblatt.com/english...bIowE7o6qg-ap2
            You appear unable to digest these simple facts:
            • The article is in an American magazine
            • The writer of the article is American
            • Robert P Jones is an American academic and [I suspect] a practising Christian
            • The book by Jones looks at the history of American white Christiantiy
            • Jones' organisation PRRI is invovled with research that explores the changing cultural, religious, and political features of America

Germany [and its myriad social problems] is not the topic of this thread.
            "It ain't necessarily so
            To read in the Bible
            It ain't necessarily so
            ."

Sportin' Life

Comment

I quoted you some facts about Falwell's past and his initial "college". That it became Liberty University which then did take black students [in all probability out of fear that it might lose its tax free status] does not alter his previous racist educational policies and his racist outlook.
              Good so you agree that you were wrong about Liberty University...

So why even bring it up? I know - another opportunity to slam America!

Ah you did not recognise the quote. However, your persistently affronted comments that someone [in this instance an American academic and Christian] has dared to point out the prevalence of negative views among many white American Christians towards their fellow black citizens does give me pause for thought. I detect an element of protesting too much in your replies.
              And you still don't get - the nerve you hit was that of a foreigner attacking my country when they have no moral high ground.

Who has accused you of being responsible for any of those things?
              As in your OP - you have been broad brushing all the way through this.

Comment

Good so you agree that you were wrong about Liberty University...
                Not entirely, Falwell was a racist.

So why even bring it up? I know - another opportunity to slam America!
                The quote from Wilde is to do with holding up the mirror and people not liking what they see reflected in it.

And you still don't get - the nerve you hit was that of a foreigner attacking my country when they have no moral high ground.
                The New Yorker magazine is an American magazine. Robert P Jones is an American citizen.

In what way do you perceive either as a "foreigner"?

As in your OP - you have been broad brushing all the way through this.
                The OP predominantly consisted of quotes taken from the New Yorker article and from Jones' book.
                "It ain't necessarily so
                To read in the Bible
                It ain't necessarily so
                ."

Sportin' Life

Comment

[*]The book by Jones looks at the history of American white Christiantiy
                  There you go broad brushing again. Again Christianity is not monolithic, in the States or anywhere else. Does he include the "white" Christians that died by the thousands to end slavery? In your OP you said this: it is alarming that among many white Christians those underlying racist/supremacist tendencies still exist.

Where? Who? Is it 10%? 90% 1% - broad brushing...

Comment

Not entirely, Falwell was a racist.
                    A man can be a racist in his 20s but not in his 50s, people do change. But you were wrong about the University.

The quote from Wilde is to do with holding up the mirror and people not liking what they see reflected in it.
                    You don't get it, I know my history - you just have no room to talk.

The New Yorker magazine is an American magazine. Robert P Jones is an American citizen.
                    The New Yorker is a leftist rag, has been for years.

In what way do you perceive either as a "foreigner"?
                    Jones is a leftist bias hack, you are the foreigner.

The OP predominantly consisted of quotes taken from the New Yorker article and from Jones' book.
                    Which is not balanced or fair.

Comment

Think what you want, I made my motives clear. Just because you agree with her America bashing...
                      This is more about racism in the church than it is about america. It's just that the Christian Church "in America" has had a unique means of justifying it by allowing the close association of Christian faith and the countries founding to delude them into thinking American R Christian is a bijection.
                      My brethren, do not hold your faith in our glorious Lord Jesus Christ with an attitude of personal favoritism. James 2:1

If anyone thinks himself to be religious, and yet does not  bridle his tongue but deceives his own heart, this man’s religion is worthless James 1:26

This you know, my beloved brethren. But everyone must be quick to hear, slow to speak and slow to anger; James 1:19

Comment

A man can be a racist in his 20s but not in his 50s, people do change. But you were wrong about the University.

You don't get it, I know my history - you just have no room to talk.

The New Yorker is a leftist rag, has been for years.

A response that suggests [although I may be wrong] irrational prejudice, animus towards anything that does not agree with your views, and a refusal to acknowledge known facts.

I would agree however with your last remark. Your comments were neither balanced nor fair.
                        "It ain't necessarily so
                        To read in the Bible
                        It ain't necessarily so
                        ."

Sportin' Life

Comment

The white nationalist seer claims not to be keeps showing up in his posts ...
                          My brethren, do not hold your faith in our glorious Lord Jesus Christ with an attitude of personal favoritism. James 2:1

If anyone thinks himself to be religious, and yet does not  bridle his tongue but deceives his own heart, this man’s religion is worthless James 1:26

This you know, my beloved brethren. But everyone must be quick to hear, slow to speak and slow to anger; James 1:19

Comment

• Originally posted by oxmixmudd View Post
                            The white nationalist seer claims not to be keeps showing up in his posts ...
                            "You may think that, I could not possibly comment"!
                            "It ain't necessarily so
                            To read in the Bible
                            It ain't necessarily so
                            ."

Sportin' Life

Comment

• Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post
                              I don't think you can actually make that claim with certainty. You really can't know what you would have done, subject to the times, the social circumstances, the way things developed.

I've seen far too many people declare "I would NEVER.....", only to do something totally different when the situation actually arose.
                              I would never have "supported" the Nazis as in the generally accepted definition of the verb.
                              "It ain't necessarily so
                              To read in the Bible
                              It ain't necessarily so
                              ."

Sportin' Life

Comment

Your comments were neither balanced nor fair.
                                Jones is a leftist and biased...

Comment