Announcement

Collapse

Civics 101 Guidelines

Want to argue about politics? Healthcare reform? Taxes? Governments? You've come to the right place!

Try to keep it civil though. The rules still apply here.
See more
See less

Texas hospitals are running out of drugs, beds, ventilators and even staff

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by mikewhitney View Post
    How come the real facts aren't as as scary as the mainstream news media reports? Every time I investigate these scary stories, the stories are not backed up by actual data.
    Because liberals think if they keep the American public frightened enough, they will become more compliant, and they will vote against Donald Trump. Unfortunately for them, focus groups suggest that voters, in general, don't blame Trump for the China flu, and they don't have any confidence that Dementia Joe would have handled it better.
    Last edited by Mountain Man; 07-28-2020, 06:00 AM.
    Some may call me foolish, and some may call me odd
    But I'd rather be a fool in the eyes of man
    Than a fool in the eyes of God

From "Fools Gold" by Petra

Comment

• Originally posted by Stoic View Post
      Perhaps, but I can come to a conclusion without expecting you to come to the same conclusion. And I don't have to prove anything to myself.
      I can accept that.

I decided a long time ago that I can't prove there are no gods, at least not well enough to convince someone to change his mind if he thinks there is a God. So I don't bother to try. I also don't generally express my viewpoint, unless someone expects me to believe there is a God, or asks me for my opinion.

I will occasionally get involved in a discussion about the existence of God, but only to the extent of pointing out bad arguments. And if someone uses something about God as a premise in some argument, I will point out that the premise carries no weight with me.
      I don't see you as unreasonable. I happen to think God never intended for you to find Him by the methodology men employ. It actually would be a little frightening to run an experiment and have it end with God staring you in the face. There would be no faith necessary, and you would also have zero choice in the matter. I think it better this way. That way only those who truly seek, find.

Comment

• Originally posted by JimL View Post
        That's ironic, CP .
        You really need to look up that word.

You should go back and take a look at your own posts. You tried to be a good boy once, but you could only last about a day or two before you went back to ing.
        First, of all that last part is an outright lie. No surprise.

You have doubled down on your stupidity and idiocy. It's like you're on a campaign to prove how incredibly ignorant and dishonest you can be.

Last night, I actually thought about apologizing for calling you a moron, but thought - hey, if he keeps acting like one, he earns the title.

I think what has happened is that we have a new batch of idiots, and you feel like your "class dunce" position is being challenged, so you've stepped up your game.
        The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

• Originally posted by Mountain Man View Post
          Because liberals think if they keep the American public frightened enough, they will become more compliant, and they will vote against Donald Trump. Unfortunately for them, focus groups suggest that voters, in general, don't blame Trump for the China flu, and they don't have any confidence that Dementia Joe would have handled it better.
          People may not blame Trump for the pandemic, but they don't seem to think he has handled it very well.

https://www.politico.com/news/2020/0...gy-dips-381509

Comment

I didn't expect that those of the atheist mindset or the Bahai beliefs would reject mathematical and logical thinking as they have just done.
            Your own views seem a little hard to reconcile, too.

You said, "The schools for 40 years have taught what to think instead of how to think."

Yet you seem to understand that mathematics helps you think critically, and I hope you realize that mathematics is still being taught.

Comment

I didn't expect that those of the atheist mindset or the Bahai beliefs would reject mathematical and logical thinking as they have just done.
              No one has rejected either thing. They've rejected your silly and objectively false implication that mathematics are to help you to think critically.

Comment

• Originally posted by Whateverman View Post
                No one has rejected either thing. They've rejected your silly and objectively false implication that mathematics are to help you to think critically.
                Your loss of thinking ability is a sign that you have coronavirus.

Comment

• Originally posted by Stoic View Post
                  Your own views seem a little hard to reconcile, too.

You said, "The schools for 40 years have taught what to think instead of how to think."

Yet you seem to understand that mathematics helps you think critically, and I hope you realize that mathematics is still being taught.
                  That is okay if it is a bit contradictory. I'm not going to bother going back to see how Math was introduced. However, Mathe is a tool but it is not useful unless they teach you to use logic in analyzing the news or to use logic to question what you are taught.

Comment

Your loss of thinking ability is a sign that you have coronavirus.
                    Insults in lieu of a substantive response. You must be a right-wing TWeb conservative...

Your implication that mathematics are to help you to think critically is false.

Comment

Insults in lieu of a substantive response. You must be a right-wing TWeb conservative...

Math teaches logic and order. So does music, which is amazingly interconnected with math. It's silly to claim that math does not help teach critical thinking.
                      The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

Does math block you from organizing problems so that you can solve them?

I'm starting to think that you are opposing me due to an inclination to oppose me rather than for logical reasons.
                        Last edited by mikewhitney; 07-28-2020, 03:29 PM.

Comment

Remember the "word problems" in math? "A train leaves Los Angeles at 10AM traveling East at 55 mph......."

Those were not just to teach "math" but specifically to teach critical thinking - actual problem solving.

Comment

Maybe he is lousy at math so his critical thinking skills are subpar.

Comment

• Critical Thinking Math Problems: Examples and Activities

Critical Thinking in Math

Critical thinking is a key factor in separating those students who can 'do' math from those who truly understand what they're doing. When students do math, they can perform computations and explain concepts because they've learned formulas and definitions through practice and rote memorization. They don't necessarily know why the formula works, but they can use it. Likewise, they may not know how some ancient mathematician defined the concept, but they know the definition.

and

Real World Problem Solving

Math textbooks only go so far when it comes to presenting real world problems that require mathematical solutions. Texts are organized around concepts, making it easy for students to see what strategies they need to use to solve a problem. If the chapter is on the quadratic formula, students automatically know they will use that formula at some point to answer every question, even a complex word problem. Critical thinking kicks in when students have a variety of options for solving a problem. Students apply critical thinking to find the best strategy out of many possible methods to reach a solution.

Comment

• Originally posted by Sparko View Post
                                Maybe he is lousy at math so his critical thinking skills are subpar.
                                Yes, memorizing multiplication tables, for example, is NOT critical thinking, nor would it "teach" critical thinking. At best, it would help memory.

Critical thinking is taught in algebra, for example, where you have to reason through moving variables to "the other side of the equal sign", etc.

Comment