Announcement

Collapse

Civics 101 Guidelines

Want to argue about politics? Healthcare reform? Taxes? Governments? You've come to the right place!

Try to keep it civil though. The rules still apply here.
See more
See less

Bolton's Book

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post
    I could say ice cream should be served cold, and JimL would disagree.
    It's because you don't really believe it should be served cold.

Comment

• Originally posted by Ronson View Post
      It's because you don't really believe it should be served cold.
      Yeah, but don't tell anybody!
      The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

That is a conclusion. Journalists aren't supposed to draw conclusions and offer their opinions. They are supposed to present the facts and the reader draws the conclusions. That's the way objectivity works.

According to who? Stephen Coleman of CNN? You allow him to do your thinking for you? He is supposed to present the facts. Trump may have considered Fauci's recommendations and rejected them. That's not "ignoring".

I just explained how these news agencies place their fat thumbs on the scale. If you like them drawing conclusions for you, then fine. I don't trust them to do my thinking for me.
        They aren't making it up, they are going by what the polls tell them, Ronson: "His polls are taking a dive" "Trump is obviously ignoring the viral surge" "Biden takes dominent lead and voters are rejecting Trump on the virus and race issues." Nothing made up or exagerated there.

Comment

• Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post
          I could say ice cream should be served cold, and JimL would disagree.
          Project much do you?

Comment

Naysaying. CP just agreed with you that Trump says and does stupid stuff and you disagreed.
            Right, that's CP's way, he says one thing and then defends the opposite.

Comment

• Originally posted by MaxVel View Post
              Yeah, that makes sense. Tell CP that he's wrong about what he reports he thinks, and that he really thinks the exact opposite.
              I mean, isn't that what's happening with Trump?

He says stupid stuff all the time, and it's pretty difficult to accept the idea that he actually believes everything he says - regardless of whether he's talking about his own supposed opinions or objective fact. That's pretty much the nature of trolling: pretending to hold to an idea/opinion that you don't actually hold to, just to get a rise out of people.

Plus, there's always the ever-present cognitive dissonance (and I'm speaking in general, not about Trump or CP). It's very easy to find people who hold contradictory ideas, and who get annoyed when you point this out to them. For example, claiming the media is untrustworthy, while accepting what the media says on a variety of subjects you agree with (et al).
              Last edited by Whateverman; 06-24-2020, 10:41 AM.

Comment

• Originally posted by JimL View Post
                Right, that's CP's way, he says one thing and then defends the opposite.
                Give me an example, Jim. Just one.
                The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

• Originally posted by JimL View Post
                  Project much do you?
                  Jim, that actually means something. It's not just something you throw out there because you can't formulate a cogent statement.

Comment