Announcement

Collapse

Civics 101 Guidelines

Want to argue about politics? Healthcare reform? Taxes? Governments? You've come to the right place!

Try to keep it civil though. The rules still apply here.
See more
See less

Ahmaud Arbery; racist killing and attempted cover up.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Diogenes View Post

Seeing as there was a second vehicle behind Arbery, it's the attempt to wrestle the shotgun away was a flight or fight response. That aside, the 2019 GA statute only provides citizen's arrest for in when the offender is witnessed to have commit the crime or with immediate knowledge. If the offender is attempting to escape, it has to be a felony in order to justify the arrest. The citizen's arrest was unjustified by the statute, therefore any actions taken were a result of illegal activity.

It's felony murder. All the charges are appropriate.
    That's the case the prosecution has to make, but Arbery's background, the fact that he was witnessed trespassing on the day of the incident, and the video evidence showing that he was shot during a struggle that he could have easily avoided is going to makes for an uphill battle for the prosecutors.
    Some may call me foolish, and some may call me odd
    But I'd rather be a fool in the eyes of man
    Than a fool in the eyes of God

From "Fools Gold" by Petra

Comment

• All three defendants were denied bail and have been in jail awaiting trial for over 10 months. The fact they were denied bail speaks volumes about the strength of the legal case against them.

The 1863 "citizens arrest" law (which was passed to allow Caucasians to arrest, and if necessary kill, blacks who were suspected of being runaway slaves), which was used by the defendants to justify Arbery's killing, is currently under review. The Alabama Senate approved a major overhaul of the law by a vote of 52-1. The revised law is now being examined by the Alabama House.

"My favorite color in the alphabet is three." - Donald J. Trump
      "The 'J' in my middle name stands for 'Jenius'" - Donald J. Trump

Comment

• Originally posted by oxmixmudd View Post

As has been said over and over, being violently chased by armed men presents one with few options...
        Look at how you state things: you inject emotion into it which makes it impossible for you to look at things dispassionately. This is why discussions with you are fruitless. You make self-serving assumptions and then pretend that they're facts.
        Some may call me foolish, and some may call me odd
        But I'd rather be a fool in the eyes of man
        Than a fool in the eyes of God

From "Fools Gold" by Petra

Comment

• Originally posted by Reepicheep View Post
          All three defendants were denied bail and have been in jail awaiting trial for over 10 months. The fact they were denied bail speaks volumes about the strength of the legal case against them.
          No, it doesn't. It could simply be that the judge denied the bail due to the racial overtones. This "speaks volumes" is a bunch of hooey.
          The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

• Originally posted by Reepicheep View Post
            All three defendants were denied bail and have been in jail awaiting trial for over 10 months. The fact they were denied bail speaks volumes about the strength of the legal case against them.
            Again, not necessarily. It could have been for their own safety. I do not recall seeing the judge's reasoning for denying it.

The 1863 "citizens arrest" law (which was passed to allow Caucasians to arrest, and if necessary kill, blacks who were suspected of being runaway slaves), which was used by the defendants to justify Arbery's killing, is currently under review. The Alabama Senate approved a major overhaul of the law by a vote of 52-1. The revised law is now being examined by the Alabama House.
            They just passed the change 2 days ago

https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/...-ahmaud-arbery
            That's what
            - She

Without a clear-cut definition of sin, morality becomes a mere argument over the best way to train animals
            - Manya the Holy Szin (The Quintara Marathon)

I may not be as old as dirt, but me and dirt are starting to have an awful lot in common
            - Stephen R. Donaldson

Comment

• Originally posted by Bill the Cat View Post

Not necessarily. "IMMEDIATE KNOWLEDGE" can be interpreted as the local police notifying them.
              The immediate knowledge has to be of the crime and individual. That has nothing to do with police notification. Mere suspicion of a individual committing a crime the night before through a video doesn't constitute immediate knowledge or the crime happening in your presence. For suspicion to be grounds for citizen's arrest, the crime has to be a felony.
              P1) If , then I win.

P2)

C) I win.

Comment

• Originally posted by Patrick View Post

That's the case the prosecution has to make, but Arbery's background, the fact that he was witnessed trespassing on the day of the incident, and the video evidence showing that he was shot during a struggle that he could have easily avoided is going to makes for an uphill battle for the prosecutors.
                The suspicion was from a video of the prior night. Try again Patrick
                P1) If , then I win.

P2)

C) I win.

Comment

The suspicion was from a video of the prior night. Try again Patrick
                  Why does Mountain Man's name appear as "Patrick" in your posts?
                  That's what
                  - She

Without a clear-cut definition of sin, morality becomes a mere argument over the best way to train animals

I may not be as old as dirt, but me and dirt are starting to have an awful lot in common
                  - Stephen R. Donaldson

Comment

• Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post

Yes, we're fully aware of that, but this "runner" had a long history of criminal activity, using "running" as his cover --- sadly, it finally caught up with him.
                    His history is immaterial to the use of citizen's arrest.

And regardless of how many times we say he did NOT deserve to be killed, the super-woke will always declare that considering ANY fact that doesn't support the "white vigilantes murdered the poor black man" is "blaming the victim".
                    Good thing I'm not super-woke.
                    P1) If , then I win.

P2)

C) I win.

Comment

• Originally posted by Bill the Cat View Post

Why does Mountain Man's name appear as "Patrick" in your posts?
                      He's using the name change thing that Mountain Man often does, in this case it is a reference to the Lutheran Satire videos where Donall and Conall call everyone "Patrick". This seems to be due to their first video being about St. Patrick.

Comment

• Originally posted by rogue06 View Post
                        It's been awhile but IIRC it was in their presence.

Now if they had been smart they would have simply followed him as he left making no attempt to apprehend or confront but instead calling 9-1-1 and waiting for a cop to arrive.
                        It was based on video surveillance of a prior night. Regarding the grounds of suspension, the statutes reads that the individual has to be attempting to escape a felony to justify a citizen's arrest. The defence rests on the citizen's arrest being legitimate.
                        P1) If , then I win.

P2)

C) I win.

Comment

His history is immaterial to the use of citizen's arrest.
                          Never said it was.

Good thing I'm not super-woke.
                          Never said you were.

The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

• Originally posted by Mountain Man View Post
                            Look at how you state things: you inject emotion into it which makes it impossible for you to look at things dispassionately. This is why discussions with you are fruitless. You make self-serving assumptions and then pretend that they're facts.
                            Arbery was violently chased by armed men. That is a statement of fact. The chase was so vigorous he was hit by one of the trucks during it, which goes directly to why he would have believed he was fighting for his life.

These are simply the facts. If the facts produce emotion in you, it does not mean I am being 'emotional' when I quote them.
                            My brethren, do not hold your faith in our glorious Lord Jesus Christ with an attitude of personal favoritism. James 2:1

If anyone thinks himself to be religious, and yet does not  bridle his tongue but deceives his own heart, this man’s religion is worthless James 1:26

This you know, my beloved brethren. But everyone must be quick to hear, slow to speak and slow to anger; James 1:19

Comment

• Originally posted by Cerebrum123 View Post

He's using the name change thing that Mountain Man often does, in this case it is a reference to the Lutheran Satire videos where Donall and Conall call everyone "Patrick". This seems to be due to their first video being about St. Patrick.
                              That's not funny...
                              That's what
                              - She

- Stephen R. Donaldson

Comment

• Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post
                                No, it doesn't. It could simply be that the judge denied the bail due to the racial overtones. This "speaks volumes" is a bunch of hooey.
                                Rather than run off half-cocked making assumptions, let's ask the judge...

Chatham County Judge Timothy Walmsley explained his decision in a court document obtained by a local news outlet. He argued that the two men pose a “significant risk of influencing witnesses and obstructing justice” in a letter.

Greg McMichael, 64, and his son Travis McMichael, 34, are waiting for trial following the Feb. 23 incident that claimed the life of Arbery, a black man who was shot by the younger suspect while he was on a run. Video of the incident was filmed by William “Roddie” Bryan, the third man who was involved in the altercation. He is also facing charges for his role in Arbery’s killing.

Walmsley cited a voicemail that Gregory allegedly sent to Brunswick District Attorney Jackie Johnson shortly after the shooting as an example of the potential risk involved in allowing bail. In the recording, which was played during the bond hearing, the older McMichael, a retired police officer, asked Johnson to call him “as soon as you possibly can” and that he and his son were “involved in a shooting.” He also stated that he would need “some advice” from his former employer.

Gregory worked as an investigator for Johnson’s office for 20 years before he resigned. The judge referred to the voicemail as “remarkable” and indicated that he was trying to take advantage of Johnson’s influence. The McMichaels’ attorneys have denied this claim.

But the judge continued, noting that after the shooting, Gregory McMichael might have attempted to impede the investigation when he asked his wife to delete posts on social media that were a “potential source.”

So it wasn't about "how serious the crime was", but out of concern that they would influence witnesses and obstruct justice.

Comment