Announcement

Collapse

Civics 101 Guidelines

Want to argue about politics? Healthcare reform? Taxes? Governments? You've come to the right place!

Try to keep it civil though. The rules still apply here.
See more
See less

Pentagon confirms UFO?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by oxmixmudd View Post
    MM - we have found common ground! I must have seen 2001: A Space Odyssey every time it came to a theater when I was a kid, including some squirrelly and even a little scary Midnight showings. I had the sound track on vinyl and wore it completely out. Ligeti's Atmospheres my first introduction to 20th century atonal music where without any formal music history or theory education I figured out the point of the 'music' was not tonality but rather a purposed diversion from it, using tonal clusters and variations in volume to create emotional effects. Actually Kubricks use of real (compositions not targetting the movie specifically) music to underlay the movie also drove me to learn about and enjoy the genre of 'tone poem'. starting with those of Strauss (Also Sprach Zarathustra being the first wanting to understand what the 'rest of the piece' was that is the iconic opening to the movie). And I have had every media form of the movie except laser disk: VHS, DVD, Blue Ray and now 4k Blue ray
    I first saw 2001 in the mid-80s when it was aired on PBS. The next year when I was in college, my dad taped it for me, so for many years, I had a pretty janky copy that faded in and out as UHF was known to do at the time. When DVD was the "new thing", I bought my first official copy, but the artifacting in the image was terrible, so it wasn't until I got it on Bluray several years ago that I was finally able to really appreciate the visuals. I haven't bought it on 4K because every review I've read says that it's only a slight improvement at best compared to Bluray. I watched it with my kids last year, but I don't think they enjoyed it. When the space baby appeared at the end, my son just looked at me and waved his hand at the screen with a dismissive gesture.
    Some may call me foolish, and some may call me odd
    But I'd rather be a fool in the eyes of man
    Than a fool in the eyes of God

From "Fools Gold" by Petra

Comment

Originally posted by Mountain Man View Post
      I first saw 2001 in the mid-80s when it was aired on PBS. The next year when I was in college, my dad taped it for me, so for many years, I had a pretty janky copy that faded in and out as UHF was known to do at the time. When DVD was the "new thing", I bought my first official copy, but the artifacting in the image was terrible, so it wasn't until I got it on Bluray several years ago that I was finally able to really appreciate the visuals. I haven't bought it on 4K because every review I've read says that it's only a slight improvement at best compared to Bluray. I watched it with my kids last year, but I don't think they enjoyed it. When the space baby appeared at the end, my son just looked at me and waved his hand at the screen with a dismissive gesture.
      Yeah - I have had a similar experience trying to get my kids to appreciate it. In fact, the best way to clear out the room I have my home theater in is to say I'm going to watch 2001.

Theoretically, since the original was 70mm, it should be better than most in 4k vs HD, but I don't know if they mastered from the 35mm or the 70mm film. Everything looks great on my 4k TV, so it's worth it to me to have it.

It's a movie that people pretty much either love or they hate
      My brethren, do not hold your faith in our glorious Lord Jesus Christ with an attitude of personal favoritism. James 2:1

If anyone thinks himself to be religious, and yet does not  bridle his tongue but deceives his own heart, this man’s religion is worthless James 1:26

This you know, my beloved brethren. But everyone must be quick to hear, slow to speak and slow to anger; James 1:19

Comment

Originally posted by oxmixmudd View Post
        Yeah - I have had a similar experience trying to get my kids to appreciate it. In fact, the best way to clear out the room I have my home theater in is to say I'm going to watch 2001.

Theoretically, since the original was 70mm, it should be better than most in 4k vs HD, but I don't know if they mastered from the 35mm or the 70mm film. Everything looks great on my 4k TV, so it's worth it to me to have it.

It's a movie that people pretty much either love or they hate
        Reading the book first made the movie much more intelligible.

I'm always still in trouble again

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
        "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
        "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

I've watched and more or less enjoyed the "Abrams" ST flicks. They are most tolerable if considered as totally separate from the original canon. If they are taken to represent literally the same characters as the original series, then Vulcans are not superhuman enough, and the ages of the characters do not make sense (especially as compared to the dates and ages given in the 1994 Star Trek Encyclopedia). Also, I don't care for "new Kirk's" frequent incompetence as a hand-to-hand combatant, nor for the overuse of humor (a common complaint of mine in modern cinema).

I thought ST on TV peaked with TNG and DS9. I watched, but tolerated more than enjoyed, the subsequent series. And DS9 was very uneven. At its best, it could be better than TNG, but it was all over the place. The prophets were vital at the start, then became a random interjection, or a genie to be conjured from a bottle. Odo could be vastly powerful or barely more than human, depending on the sfx budget at the time. Defiant varied in size and armament. The "mirror universe" thing was too frequent. But, Ezri and Nerys were always hot, so there's that.

I mostly loved "Babylon 5." Did not care for most of the final season. But both good things and bad things about the series in general, and about the casting of characters and the timing of events and pacing of seasons, were forced by outside events like the always-present likelihood of cancellation, the availability because of health or whatever of certain actors, etc. I was quite enjoying "Excalibur," but (as I understand it), interference from The Suits wrecked it. Pity. I wanted more Technomage stuff.

Several days ago, SyFy did a comprehensive 81-hour marathon of "Battlestar Galactica." I watched a lot -- too much, really. I don't regret watching it and catching up with what I'd forgotten or never seen when it first aired 15 years or so ago. But having seen it, I now have NO interest in seeing the two nightly episodes on Comet TV. The God/gods aspect is too weird, and the characters are too flawed. There's not one I'd like to have as a friend.
          Geislerminian Antinomian Kenotic Charispneumaticostal Gender Mutualist-Egalitarian.

Beige Federalist.

Nationalist Christian.

"Everybody is somebody's heretic."

Social Justice is usually the opposite of actual justice.

Proud member of the this space left blank community.

Would-be Grand Vizier of the Padishah Maxi-Super-Ultra-Hyper-Mega-MAGA King Trumpius Rex.

Justice for Ashli Babbitt!

Justice for Matthew Perna!

Arrest Ray Epps and his Fed bosses!

Comment

Originally posted by Mountain Man View Post
            All this talk about 2001, I sat down and watched if for the first time on my new OLED 4K last night. The thing that struck me is how relatively accurate the electronic technology was . It just seemed a little weird because most of it would seem pretty 'normal' at this point, whereas ST TOS electronics (made at the same time) does look very antiquated relative to what is actually around us.
            My brethren, do not hold your faith in our glorious Lord Jesus Christ with an attitude of personal favoritism. James 2:1

If anyone thinks himself to be religious, and yet does not  bridle his tongue but deceives his own heart, this man’s religion is worthless James 1:26

This you know, my beloved brethren. But everyone must be quick to hear, slow to speak and slow to anger; James 1:19

Comment

Like cheese for a mouse is Star Trek for the pixie.

Comment

Originally posted by Starlight View Post
                UnFinished Orange?

United Federation of Oceania?
                Surely that should be United Federation of Orionians ?

Comment