Announcement

Collapse

Civics 101 Guidelines

Want to argue about politics? Healthcare reform? Taxes? Governments? You've come to the right place!

Try to keep it civil though. The rules still apply here.
See more
See less

Pentagon confirms UFO?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Just don't count "Star Trek Discovery: Political Correctness In Outer Space" (proposed full name).

Comment

Originally posted by Mountain Man View Post
      "What did the pilot see?"
      "We don't know. The object was never identified."
      "Can you confirm that?"
      "Yes."

Headline: "Pentagon Confirms UFO Sighting!"
      It is amusing how if something can't be immediately identified some folks immediately assume it's a flying saucer full of extraterrestrials.

I'm always still in trouble again

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
      "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
      "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

Originally posted by NorrinRadd View Post
        No, even with inertial dampeners, Federation tech of the 23rd and 24th Centuries can't replicate some of the behavior shown by those objects.
        Actually, the real effects all those things should they exist would easily produce the behavior seen.

For example, the object in question appeared to suddenly accelerate like 'a ping pong ball' and the disappear in a few seconds. The time frame for acceleration to light speed or more in star trek would produce instantaneous movements from point to point as observed by an aircraft. The enterprise it self would simply seem to be present one moment and then disapoear, likely in a flash due to friction wrt the atmosphere.
        Last edited by oxmixmudd; 04-29-2020, 05:29 AM.
        My brethren, do not hold your faith in our glorious Lord Jesus Christ with an attitude of personal favoritism. James 2:1

If anyone thinks himself to be religious, and yet does not  bridle his tongue but deceives his own heart, this man’s religion is worthless James 1:26

This you know, my beloved brethren. But everyone must be quick to hear, slow to speak and slow to anger; James 1:19

Comment

Originally posted by Ronson View Post
          Just don't count "Star Trek Discovery: Political Correctness In Outer Space" (proposed full name).
          "The man from the yacht thought he was the first to find England; I thought I was the first to find Europe. I did try to found a heresy of my own; and when I had put the last touches to it, I discovered that it was orthodoxy."
          GK Chesterton; Orthodoxy

Comment

Originally posted by rogue06 View Post
            It is amusing how if something can't be immediately identified some folks immediately assume it's a flying saucer full of extraterrestrials.
            "The man from the yacht thought he was the first to find England; I thought I was the first to find Europe. I did try to found a heresy of my own; and when I had put the last touches to it, I discovered that it was orthodoxy."
            GK Chesterton; Orthodoxy

Comment

I think the weak characters are a symptom of it. My brother and I (both sci fi fans) determined early on that there were no identifiable characters in it. Every race is represented in it by wonderfully magnanimous characters except for white heterosexual males, who were always cast as villains. Why should I watch a show where the person who looks and sounds like me is always evil? Or where 5'0 foot, 99 lbs females are mopping the floor with huge bad guys in a fist fight? I like sci fi, not fantasy.

Comment

I think the weak characters are a symptom of it. My brother and I (both sci fi fans) determined early on that there were no identifiable characters in it. Every race is represented in it by wonderfully magnanimous characters except for white heterosexual males, who were always cast as villains. Why should I watch a show where the person who looks and sounds like me is always evil? Or where 5'0 foot, 99 lbs females are mopping the floor with huge bad guys in a fist fight? I like sci fi, not fantasy.
                Sci-fi is just fantasy in space.

Comment

Originally posted by Chrawnus View Post

Essentially true.

A friend of mine who is a fairly successful writer of horror once said of that genre that if it is set in the past it's gothic horror; if it's set in the present it is horror; if it's set in the future it is science fiction.

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
                  "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
                  "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

If examined too closely sci-fi is filled with impossibilities (like "fantasy"). But as a genre, they're different.

Comment

If examined too closely sci-fi is filled with impossibilities (like "fantasy"). But as a genre, they're different.
                      As Arthur C. Clarke once famously quipped: "Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic."

The line between sci fi set hundreds to thousands of years in the future and fantasy is a very thin one indeed.

Comment

As Arthur C. Clarke once famously quipped: "Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic."

The line between sci fi set hundreds to thousands of years in the future and fantasy is a very thin one indeed.
                        In my antiquated world of definitions, Science Fiction is a realm of future possibility (or as close as a person can imagine). Fantasy is more of a dreamworld, with fairies, gnomes and trolls. There are hybrids, like Star Wars, but they are still unique genres, IMO.

Comment

In the wake of the resurgence of the cold war, the nuclear arms race, and the propensity of superpowers to try and best one another in the latest technology they have, I often wonder how possible it would be for a country that poses this technology to keep it secret this long and not be compelled to show it off to their global rivals. Though the US did keep the stealth bomber and the atom bomb covert for quite some time, so there's that. Also, considering the rise in espionage, how possible it would be for a country to keep this under wraps this long.

Comment

Last edited by lilpixieofterror; 04-29-2020, 09:07 AM.
                            GK Chesterton; Orthodoxy

Comment

Yes and no. Really depends on the series. Star Wars is pretty much space fantasy, The Martin is pretty heavily based in science, Star Trek is a little of both.
                              GK Chesterton; Orthodoxy

Comment

We gave up after season 1. Since then, I decided to avoid all ARC TV shows anyway. Suuks up too much time.

Comment