Announcement

Collapse

Civics 101 Guidelines

Want to argue about politics? Healthcare reform? Taxes? Governments? You've come to the right place!

Try to keep it civil though. The rules still apply here.
See more
See less

Coronavirus Outbreak...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Sparko View Post
    That isn't fair. He was obviously referring to the nation of China not the race of people. In particular the communist government.
    The nation of china is also somewhat synonymous with the Asian race. This is both in their culture and in ours. If one does not make sure to clarify the difference, To specify the communist government it simply is not clear enough to avoid the implication.
    My brethren, do not hold your faith in our glorious Lord Jesus Christ with an attitude of personal favoritism. James 2:1

If anyone thinks himself to be religious, and yet does not  bridle his tongue but deceives his own heart, this man’s religion is worthless James 1:26

This you know, my beloved brethren. But everyone must be quick to hear, slow to speak and slow to anger; James 1:19

Comment

• "The man from the yacht thought he was the first to find England; I thought I was the first to find Europe. I did try to found a heresy of my own; and when I had put the last touches to it, I discovered that it was orthodoxy."
      GK Chesterton; Orthodoxy

Comment

• Originally posted by oxmixmudd View Post
        Rogue - whatever mistakes they made are a combination of their own culture, goverment ideology, and ignorance of who to handle the situation.

Exactly as in our own bungling governments response. There is nothing to be gained by trying to pretend 'this is all their fault'. The first truly major outbreak in this country did not happen because of something China did. It happened because the idiots in our own government did not take it seriously which resulted in the workers that received the Diamond Princess not being properly briefed and exposing themselves to the virus and taking it out into the community. From there we had the outbreak in the rest home killing a large number of its residents and infecting its workers.

The fault also lies in our own government for dragging its feet with testing and responding to the nature of the threat. This is ALL on us. On our leaders.

Trying to divert the hatred to China is a fools errand. We have exponential growth here now. And all our efforts need to be directed at getting the fool you elected to get off his duff and stay off it and mobilize all available resources in combating the spread of this disease.
        Jim - please be careful. Your use of "they" buys right into the Trump narrative: casting all Chinese as complicit in the spread of this virus. There is a difference between the Chinese people and the Chinese government. Laying blame for mismanagement of this outbreak at the feet of the Chinese government is no more/less a problem then laying blame at Trump's door for his multi-week (and ongoing) mismanagement. Both have a lot to account for. But the Chinese people are not complicit in this. Indeed, many made the effort to get the word out, or we probably wouldn't have had any of the information about the outbreak until it showed up in other countries.
        The ultimate weakness of violence is that it is a descending spiral begetting the very thing it seeks to destroy...returning violence for violence multiplies violence, adding deeper darkness to a night already devoid of stars. Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that. Martin Luther King

I would unite with anybody to do right and with nobody to do wrong. Frederick Douglas

Comment

• Originally posted by RumTumTugger View Post
          This is nothing but a Strawman Argument Oxmix.

No one is blaming the Chinese people as a race, they are placing the blame squarely where it belongs on the Chinese Government for it's mismanagement and then lies to cover it up. Rogue in post #958 has tried to show you the Truth, to bad you won't be able to see it, not with that huge orange log in your eye.

I guess I got the answer to my question about why a Christian would defend the lies of a country not wanting to take responsibility for their actions he is too blind to see the Truth because of his biased hatred towards a certain person.
          "Can We Hate China Now" does not make that distinction. It lumps the people and the government into one pot. It's a poorly worded title that leaves the wrong impression.
          The ultimate weakness of violence is that it is a descending spiral begetting the very thing it seeks to destroy...returning violence for violence multiplies violence, adding deeper darkness to a night already devoid of stars. Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that. Martin Luther King

I would unite with anybody to do right and with nobody to do wrong. Frederick Douglas

Comment

• Originally posted by Catholicity View Post
            I am not able to deal with much so I will make this brief. Ox, the government of China could have and should have done more to stop this. They lied and likely intentionally killed those who tried to speak out for the sake of appearance. Furthermore the US government and Italian government also share a great deal of blame. Trump did a terrible job of allowing the cdc to respond appropriately. Italy did not respond either. There is no excuse for anyone.
            Amen!

Comment

The nation of china is also somewhat synonymous with the Asian race. This is both in their culture and in ours. If one does not make sure to clarify the difference, To specify the communist government it simply is not clear enough to avoid the implication.
              "The man from the yacht thought he was the first to find England; I thought I was the first to find Europe. I did try to found a heresy of my own; and when I had put the last touches to it, I discovered that it was orthodoxy."
              GK Chesterton; Orthodoxy

Comment

• Originally posted by carpedm9587 View Post
                "Can We Hate China Now" does not make that distinction. It lumps the people and the government into one pot. It's a poorly worded title that leaves the wrong impression.
                Reading is hard.
                "The man from the yacht thought he was the first to find England; I thought I was the first to find Europe. I did try to found a heresy of my own; and when I had put the last touches to it, I discovered that it was orthodoxy."
                GK Chesterton; Orthodoxy

Comment

• Originally posted by Starlight View Post
                  It's become more evident than ever that the US right, at its core, is all about hatred. Hate for liberals. Hate for gays. Hate for mexicans. Hate for immigrants. Hate for China. They seem to make use of it as a uniting force - they can be all united together in their hate for others.

I agree that such attitudes are not compatible with Christianity. It's really remarkable how many of Trump's supporters who hate so vigorously claim to be Christians.
                  Trump (and many others on the right) have been fostering the "us vs. them" narrative for a long time. It is the basis for the immigration argument, the argument between parties, and argument against globalism, and the list goes on. It taps into a psychological reality about the human person: we naturally tend to think in terms of us vs. them, so it is an easy path to take and it is often successful.

Fortunately, the tide appears to be turning. We just need to keep paddling the boat towards taking this man out of that office on 11/3.

Comment

• Originally posted by rogue06 View Post
                    Here is exactly what he said:

That is denialism pure and simple. If he later walked his idiocy back, good for him but that does not take away from the fact that he first tried to dismiss the fact that the Chicom coronavirus arose in China. That "it could have come from anywhere. All right."

Ranting against something I never said? Straw man much?

All along I've been making it clear that I don't fault the Chinese people but place the blame for how it was handled squarely at the feet of Xi and his government who didn't just "handle it badly" but rather deliberatelyCoronavirus task force another example of Trump administration's lack of diversity (and CNN wasn't alone in that). THAT is what they're fixated on.

Further, they also want to paint Trump as being racist for using an accurate description in spite of having used it over and over, again and again themselves. Here is a link to a video of them calling it the Chinese coronavirus and Wuhan virus dozens of times until they figured that they could weaponize it and hypocritically use it to attack Trump.

And let's not forget, these are the "racist" terms used by a number of Asian news services as well.

Finally, I explained my use of Guido -- I meant Fredo but you have chosen to ignore that and falsely claimed that I said "a guido" rather than "Guido" -- which is still a common name given to Italians by their parents (who I presume you think are bigots because of it ).

Oh, and as an aside, apparently a hyper-woke channel like MTV, in promoting the show Jersey Shore, described their cast as being "guidos" and "guidettes" -- terms that the cast also often used in anything but a derogatory manner. Seems it is primarily a problem for those desperately searching for something to be offended over.

It could also be that also aware that the MSM has been trying to ignore the culpability of the Chinese government for this, with some even busily trying to shift the blame onto him and the U.S. (The New York Times even gave credence to the Chicom claim that the virus originated in the U.S. by labelling it "a theory") and wants to hold their feet to the fire.

But for you there can only be one answer -- orange man bad.

I hope they keep fixated on it as well. No wonder fewer and fewer people listen to them any more.
                    We'll see just how many "fewer" are listening to them on 11/3.

Comment

• Originally posted by firstfloor View Post
                      Remember that this is a new virus, no reason to be suspicious until the numbers tick up to the point that you see the epidemic, by which time, at least two months after the first case, it has escaped into the global population. In general, China has done an amazing job in damping it down. As of now, they are the world experts in the containment and treatment of the disease.
                      Ummm...maybe. First of all, they are a dictatorship that can impose constraints of its people in ways a democracy struggles to do. Second, what is coming out of China is largely coming through the Chinese government, as far as I can tell. So knowing whether these numbers have been massaged is hard to do. Personally, I find it hard to believe that a country with as high a population as China in a U.S.-sized area can contain this virus in a matter of weeks to a point where the day-to-day growth is practically zero for days on end.

I think S. Korea is a better source of model for containment, since I think we have a closer relationship to their government and can probably trust their numbers more. And Germany apparently continues to lead the pack on managing mortality.

Comment

And that folks is what TDS looks like.
                        And that, folks, is that TSS looks like...

Comment

The nation of china is also somewhat synonymous with the Asian race.
                          no it isn't - you have Japanese, Korean, Thailand, Vietnam, etc. When someone says China, they are referring to the country.
                          This is both in their culture and in ours. If one does not make sure to clarify the difference, To specify the communist government it simply is not clear enough to avoid the implication.
                          Seer said. "Can we hate CHINA now," not "asians"

This is just a straw man for you to burn. Can't we stop this kind of petty crap when we should all be working together?

Comment

• Originally posted by simplicio View Post
                            And I might point out, the OP of this thread asked about travel restrictions on 25 Feb. Trump made the case that clamping down into a quarantine mode was not necessary.
                            A bit of other info. By February 25th, China's reports of the spread within its borders was showing signs of tapering off. The world numbers, however, were showing and average of 13.21% growth per day for the previous 3 weeks and were already at over 2,800 cases. The U.S. growth rate over three weeks was an average of 10.21% and we had 57 active cases. Medical leaders around the world had been sounding the alarm for several weeks. The official declaration of a pandemic came from the WHO two weeks later.

Comment

• Trump ALWAYS seeks to shift the blame. If it is good - he takes credit. If it is bad - he finds someone to blame. That has been his hallmark not only for his entire presidency, but also his entire career, AFAICT. It is his MOP.

On 11/3 - we can end it!

Comment

He was acting back in January. That was when the left was mocking and deriding him for doing so. That is when they weren't focusing on the one thing in all of this that is still far and away the most important factor in this for them -- race: Coronavirus task force another example of Trump administration's lack of diversity
                                So convening a task force is "doing something" to you? Rogue, we are "doing something" when we take the recommendations of that task force and implement actions designed to deal with the situation. Having a meeting to discuss/explore a problem is not the equivalent of taking meaningful action to effect change.

Comment