Announcement

Collapse

Civics 101 Guidelines

Want to argue about politics? Healthcare reform? Taxes? Governments? You've come to the right place!

Try to keep it civil though. The rules still apply here.
See more
See less

Coronavirus Outbreak...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Mountain Man View Post
    Joe Biden is out there criticizing the President's response to the China virus and has offered his own action plan for what he would be doing if he was president.

The punchline is that Joe's plan is almost identical to what the Trump administration is already doing.

https://www.breitbart.com/2020-elect...dministration/
    Still waltzing along with the President I see. "China virus". What a bunch of crock. But again, the tom foolery has consequences, with a prominant diplomat now accusing the US of planting the virus in october during some sort of military olympics that was hosted - where else - but in Wuhan.

So now - at a time when we all need to work together to get rid of this thing - you, the president and the other idiots are fostering hostilities between two of the most powerful nations on the planet.

Truly sad, as your idol might say.
    My brethren, do not hold your faith in our glorious Lord Jesus Christ with an attitude of personal favoritism. James 2:1

If anyone thinks himself to be religious, and yet does not  bridle his tongue but deceives his own heart, this man’s religion is worthless James 1:26

This you know, my beloved brethren. But everyone must be quick to hear, slow to speak and slow to anger; James 1:19

Comment

• Originally posted by oxmixmudd View Post
      Still waltzing along with the President I see. "China virus". What a bunch of crock. But again, the tom foolery has consequences, with a prominant diplomat now accusing the US of planting the virus in october during some sort of military olympics that was hosted - where else - but in Wuhan.

So now - at a time when we all need to work together to get rid of this thing - you, the president and the other idiots are fostering hostilities between two of the most powerful nations on the planet.

"The man from the yacht thought he was the first to find England; I thought I was the first to find Europe. I did try to found a heresy of my own; and when I had put the last touches to it, I discovered that it was orthodoxy."
      GK Chesterton; Orthodoxy

Comment

• Originally posted by rogue06 View Post
        CNN is falling all over themselves praising Biden for his speech while still blasting Trump. I guess they figure that the few dozen people still watching the network are too slow witted and uninformed to know that Biden was effectively plagiarizing (something he has a history of doing) from Trump. Then again since they rely on CNN for their news, they are likely right.
        Both Biden and Saunders have presented themselves as competent, willing to address the problem with useful, common sense, scientifically based responses. Even Pence towers above the foolish idiocy the president has spouted since the beginning of this situation.

This is real rogue. This is a virus. It goes where it wishes. It behaves according to its own laws, it's own properties, and where it originated has nothing to do with anything and trying to cast 'blame' for it is yet another fools errand. And Fools like the president that are unwilling to yield their will, wants, and desires to what is this reality will only make this thing worse. And so those same fools need to be robustly rebuked and censured.

Will you and MM face this reality, or continue down the fools path you are on? We don't need this trash. Until the president starts to listen to reality and act according to the wisdom of those that know what this is and how to deal with it, he deserves to be in the penalty box, locked away and silenced. As do idiot voices of insanity like Hannity.

And you, MM and the rest of the Trump fantasy world need to wake up and face that fact. We all need to put ALL our efforts into working together with wisdom and knowledge and with the single goal of defeating this thing before it defeats us. And part of that is silencing the misinformation and out and out lies emanating from the ignorant fools in the White house (and their supporters) that are driving things right now We need to Let those that know what to do and have the wisdom to do it the freedom to do what needs to be done regardless of what it does to Trump's ego.
        My brethren, do not hold your faith in our glorious Lord Jesus Christ with an attitude of personal favoritism. James 2:1

If anyone thinks himself to be religious, and yet does not  bridle his tongue but deceives his own heart, this man’s religion is worthless James 1:26

This you know, my beloved brethren. But everyone must be quick to hear, slow to speak and slow to anger; James 1:19

Comment

What a bunch of crock.
          Your self-awareness is improving. Congratulations.

Now go wash your hands so you don't catch the Wuhan flu.
          Some may call me foolish, and some may call me odd
          But I'd rather be a fool in the eyes of man
          Than a fool in the eyes of God

From "Fools Gold" by Petra

Comment

• Originally posted by simplicio View Post
            But just what is a best practice in the face of an epidemic, is there one single set of policies which are "right" and others which are "wrong"?

I have been reading the various effective and ineffective responses to epidemics, the one example which sticks in my mind is one in 67 or 68 (a time of great unrest in the city and college campus) and we did nothing, no response and let it run its course with thousands of probably needless fatalities. But could the Johnson administration, along with the health system have instituted any restrictive measures? I don't think they had the political power or an authority which society recognized.

China provided an example of containment, but all descriptions of the Chinese response can be called draconian; public health officials are examining ways to implement effective policies that are doable within the realities of their own country.

In the US, we have looking to gut our Public Health Service (a uniformed federal service like the Army), but it is intertwined throughout our health system (few work exclusively for Public Health Service, they have jobs with hospitals, CDC, FDA etc.). We do not have any one monolithic agency which can respond, we rely on a mix of public and private responses.
            Last edited by firstfloor; 03-13-2020, 08:08 AM.

Comment

• That is exactly the Ticket.

Trump is a fool. And in this he needs to be slienced and sidelined. He and his administration have had months to foresee and put together a response to this thing before it got here. Instead, he has spent this time gutting the CDC and playing political games trying to paint this alternately as a hoax, a democratic ploy, or something that will just miraculously disappear.

Yes - he deserves the blame. As do all the idiots that continue to believe this is a hoax, or a democratic ploy, that knew he was a fool and an idiot yet yelled out their support for him year after year and gave him no cause to pause and face reality for what it is.

What we face today are the consequences of justifying him, supporting him, ignoring the wisdom found in the Proverbs, the scripture, nearly every religion on the face of this planet about what the consequences are if being led by a fool.

Comment

Yep, the pundits are calling Biden's speech "Commander in Chief-worthy", which is appropriate since Biden plagiarized it from the Commander in Chief.
                Although to be fair, Joe's plan does have one significant difference:

Open borders and no travel bans...

Comment

That is exactly the Ticket.

Trump is a fool. And in this he needs to be slienced and sidelined. He and his administration have had months to foresee and put together a response to this thing before it got here. Instead, he has spent this time gutting the CDC and playing political games trying to paint this alternately as a hoax, a democratic ploy, or something that will just miraculously disappear.

Yes - he deserves the blame. As do all the idiots that continue to believe this is a hoax, or a democratic ploy, that knew he was a fool and an idiot yet yelled out their support for him year after year and gave him no cause to pause and face reality for what it is.

What we face today are the consequences of justifying him, supporting him, ignoring the wisdom found in the Proverbs, the scripture, nearly every religion on the face of this planet about what the consequences are if being led by a fool.
                  I find it impossible to take you seriously. I'm not just saying that.

Comment

I find it impossible to take you seriously. I'm not just saying that.
                    It's truly sad! Ox used to be one of the posters I enjoyed reading because he was so fair and open minded...
                    "What has the Church gained if it is popular, but there is no conviction, no repentance, no power?" - A.W. Tozer

"... there are two parties in Washington, the stupid party and the evil party, who occasionally get together and do something both stupid and evil, and this is called bipartisanship." - Everett Dirksen

Comment

• I was referring to the recriminations and blame, noting which countries "failed" in its response, some reports even claim Britain "screwed it up". I disagree with the criticism on China, they had to make hard decisions without hard data on the virus potential for pandemic. China has been somewhat transparent and open, although I don't know the extent of the openness, the sharing of information and data.

The anti-big government conservatives have been muted in the criticisms of big brother, though I haven't checked up on Alex Jones in quite a while.

Voluntary cooperation with the protocols seems to be the order of the day. But I also wonder if it is successful, i.e. few deaths, will Americans condemn the actions accepted today after the epidemic disappears? The economic repercussions are becoming apparent. This will affect how we respond to the next threat.

Comment

Are you saying you believe that? Because I don't really see the point of injecting that in your post unless you're saying it as a matter of fact. Btw, that's a pretty potent thing for the Chinese to accuse us of. That would not only be an act of war, but a criminal war crime of the highest order.

Comment

• Originally posted by seanD View Post
                          Are you saying you believe that? Because I don't really see the point of injecting that in your post unless you're saying it as a matter of fact. Btw, that's a pretty potent thing for the Chinese to accuse us of. That would not only be an act of war, but a criminal war crime of the highest order.
                          No, oxmix mud is not saying he believes the Army planted the virus. His point is the "fake news" and "hoax" accusations are wrong. Yes, it would be a crime, a crime against humanity.

But are such over the top accusations really that rare?

Comment

• Covid-19 is a good example of why universal healthcare, or medicare for all, is the way to go. If everyone has access to affordable healthcare then we would be better able to contain a pandemic. If millions of people are walking around with the infection because they can't afford to see a doctor then it is more likely to spread. And look at the cost of trying to deal with that. 8.3 billion in government aid so far, and a probable economic recession.

Comment

• Originally posted by seanD View Post
                              The point is that by Donald Trump trying to blame the Chinese for the virus (e.g. "the China virus"), he opened the door to the tit-for-tat response by the Chinese to try to shift blame on US.

Don't forget that in the same right wing conservative nuthouse media Trump and his followers use to define their reality* there is a good amount of conspiracy laden undercurrent that COVID-19 is a Chinese bio-weapon research 'oops'. The Chinese know that undercurrent is there. So they likely are defending themselves against it with a 'paranoid conspiracy' counter of the same ilk and of similar plausibility - at least to the Chinese public.

ETA: *I acknowledge that extreme ignorance has many flavors, which include both liberal and conservative.
                              Last edited by oxmixmudd; 03-13-2020, 11:10 AM.

Comment

• Originally posted by JimLamebrain View Post
                                Covid-19 is a good example of why universal healthcare, or medicare for all, is the way to go. If everyone has access to affordable healthcare then we would be better able to contain a pandemic. If millions of people are walking around with the infection because they can't afford to see a doctor then it is more likely to spread. And look at the cost of trying to deal with that. 8.3 billion in government aid so far, and a probable economic recession.
                                Universal health INSURANCE (let's call it what it really is) wouldn't have done a damn thing to improve this situation. It would have just overloaded the system, and we would be looking at severe shortages and rationing right now.

Comment