Announcement

Collapse

Civics 101 Guidelines

Want to argue about politics? Healthcare reform? Taxes? Governments? You've come to the right place!

Try to keep it civil though. The rules still apply here.
See more
See less

Louisiana law gets medieval

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Hypatia_Alexandria View Post

I assumed, wrongly it now appears, that you were bragging about your day job of saving of souls......
    I'll go ahead and address this further, just for grins.
    The vast majority of my clergy experience has been bi-vocational - with my 'secular' job being most of my salary.
    I'm a crisis management / problem resolutions kind of guy, and I mostly have served in churches that have gone through crisis, like the forced termination of a previous clergy, or dying a slow agonizing death, or having encountered a split.
    Most of the churches I have served have not had the monetary means to pay a salary.

This confuses a lot of people who don't understand that, even though I have 50 years of experience in the ministry, I have even more experience in "secular work", from police officer to oilfield roughneck, natural gas compression, computer building and repair, computer consulting.... relying on that income to 'pay the bills' so as not to burden a struggling church.

And, I'll further confess that being a rancher in Texas is often thought of as more of a hobby than a profession, unless you're on one of the BIG ranches with thousands or tens of thousands of head of cattle.

No brag - just fact.

The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

According to the link I originally posted he was guilty of grooming and raping a fourteen year old and threatening her and her family. So it was not the plural i.e. children and she was a child only insofar as her legal status is concerned. Paedophiles are sexually interested in pre-pubescent children not teenagers.
      If someone has sex with a dog it isn't incorrect to say that he has sex with dogs. The same here.

You seem hung up trying to demonstrate that the victim wasn't pre-pubescent as if in some twisted way that makes his rape of a child any better. That's one twisted take there.

What about recidivism for the chemically or physically castrated male? Will his physical castration prevent him assaulting another victim? Will it prevent him from grooming another victim?
      Perhaps you should look that up. And please note my use of "he is no longer considered a threat."

As I noted earlier, it does not seem much of a plea bargain for Sullivan if it included physical castration.
      It isn't supposed to be a great deal -- one that someone would normally leap at the chance at. Still, it was one that he obviously thought was better than the alternative.

And just to make it quite clear:

I am not overly in favour of such punishments.
      So?

I consider properly conducted therapy with a specially trained psychiatrist to be a better option but that costs money.
      IIRC, at least back when I was taking law classes several decades back, such therapy hasn't been shown to be very effective.

It may be that some men can never be released because they are not able to confront and recognise their behaviours. In that case they remain in prison for life.
      Or, in states like California and Louisiana, they can opt for making it impossible to commit that crime again and get a shorter sentence.

As I said, rapists -- particularly those who raped children -- have a particularly rough time in prison. I can understand someone taking drastic measures in order to get out of that environment ASAP.

I'm always still in trouble again

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
      "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
      "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

Originally posted by seer View Post

I don't know why we ever let you become a state...

Comment

Originally posted by rogue06 View Post
          If someone has sex with a dog it isn't incorrect to say that he has sex with dogs. The same here.
          I disagree. Is it correct to refer to a man who has sex with his wife as a man that has sex with women? The latter suggests he habitually has sex with multiple partners.

You seem hung up trying to demonstrate that the victim wasn't pre-pubescent as if in some twisted way that makes his rape of a child any better. That's one twisted take there.
          I hardly think one reference to the fact is being hung up. . From the link I posted and read it seems more likely that Sullivan is a Hebephile or possibly an Ephebophile.

Perhaps you should look that up. And please note my use of "he is no longer considered a threat."
          Where did you read that? I've looked at a few more links on the case and none of them make that comment.

It isn't supposed to be a great deal -- one that someone would normally leap at the chance at. Still, it was one that he obviously thought was better than the alternative.
          Is that what you would do were you in his position?

So?
          To repeat what I wrote to Diogenes

Hence your extolling the benefits of physical castration over chemical castration is of no interest to me.

IIRC, at least back when I was taking law classes several decades back, such therapy hasn't been shown to be very effective.
          [sarcasm] Did you pass your bar exams?

However, there are different approaches to therapy for people with these disorders.
          "It ain't necessarily so
          The things that you're liable
          To read in the Bible
          It ain't necessarily so
          ."

Sportin' Life
          Porgy & Bess, DuBose Heyward, George & Ira Gershwin

Comment

You appear not to have read what I wrote in my previous reply to you.

in case it has entirely escaped your notice, I am not overly in favour of such punishments.
            Being "not overly in favour" is not the same as being opposed. HRT is within the confines of "managed therapy" which you previously advocated.

]Oh how very droll. Only a day or so ago Sparko was accusing me of attempting "mind-reading" on what he wrote.

What you think my objections might be are nothing but the product of your febrile imagination over comments concerning paedophilia and trans gender issues.
            If you are opposed chemical castration of child molesters, do you also oppose chemical castration of highly confused minors?

As I have made my view on this form of punishment quite clear I fail to understand your continuing advocacy of the process.
            As detailed at the beginning of this response, your views have not been made "quite clear".

With regard to animal husbandry and indeed domestic pets the process is ideally and usually performed when the animal is very young.
            So you agree that physical castration does lead to the diminishing of certain unwanted behavior in animals? Did you not tell Cow Pole that humans are animals? Would men not be similarly affected by physical castration?

I was considering other horrors perpetrated by Homo sapiens.

I do not chimpanzees have come close to us for intolerance including the persecution and killing of those who hold differing viewpoints ... yet.
            The horrors of humanity in comparisons to chimps is proportional to neurological differences.
            Last edited by Diogenes; 05-04-2024, 12:48 PM.
            P1) If , then I win.

P2)

C) I win.

Comment

I disagree. Is it correct to refer to a man who has sex with his wife as a man that has sex with women? The latter suggests he habitually has sex with multiple partners.

There you go again demonstrating how you spectacularly misunderstand colloquial English despite your affection that you are some sort of grammarian.
              We know J6 wasn’t peaceful because they didn’t set the building on fire.

Comment

Originally posted by Diogenes View Post

SCOTUS already overturned such a law. Capital punishment should only be for capital crimes.
                https://y.yarn.co/1b573594-1551-4f90...118a8f4c31.mp4
                Geislerminian Antinomian Kenotic Charispneumaticostal Gender Mutualist-Egalitarian.

Beige Federalist.

Nationalist Christian.

"Everybody is somebody's heretic."

Social Justice is usually the opposite of actual justice.

Proud member of the this space left blank community.

Would-be Grand Vizier of the Padishah Maxi-Super-Ultra-Hyper-Mega-MAGA King Trumpius Rex.

Justice for Ashli Babbitt!

Justice for Matthew Perna!

Arrest Ray Epps and his Fed bosses!

Comment

Originally posted by alaskazimm View Post

There you go again demonstrating how you spectacularly misunderstand colloquial English despite your affection that you are some sort of grammarian.
                  We do not know that Sullivan had sex with children. He is accused of grooming and raping a fourteen year old as well as intimidating both the girl and her family.

The use of the plural implies behaviour across multiple instances. It is slovenly and also increases the emotional outrage and horror by referring to him having sex with "children" .
                  "It ain't necessarily so
                  To read in the Bible
                  It ain't necessarily so
                  ."

Sportin' Life

Comment

Being "not overly in favour" is not the same as being opposed. HRT is within the confines of "managed therapy" which you previously advocated.
                    Have you ever come across the use of understatement in texts?

If you are opposed chemical castration of child molesters, do you also oppose chemical castration of highly confused minors?
                    A completely different topic but I recognise it as one of your hobbyhorses.

As detailed at the beginning of this response, your views have not been made "quite clear".
                    See above.

So you agree that physical castration does lead to the diminishing of certain unwanted behavior in animals?
                    Correction. In the human realm of keeping livestock and/or domestic animals the behaviour is considered unwanted.

However, continuing your theme of comparing men to other male animals with regard to socially undesirable and/or reprehensible behaviour, why not take a further leaf from the proverbial farming book and just keep a few of the better human specimens for stud and eliminate the rest? Human society might fare better with less males around exhibiting "certain unwanted behaviour".

As for your incidental comment on humans and chimps, the topic of neurological differences between humans and chimps is somewhat complicated and best left for another thread.

"It ain't necessarily so
                    To read in the Bible
                    It ain't necessarily so
                    ."

Sportin' Life

Comment

We do not know that Sullivan had sex with children. He is accused of grooming and raping a fourteen year old as well as intimidating both the girl and her family.
                      More than enough for castration...
                      Atheism is the cult of death, the death of hope. The universe is doomed, you are doomed, the only thing that remains is to await your execution...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jbnueb2OI4o&t=3s

Comment

Have you ever come across the use of understatement in texts?

Perhaps you should be more precise in your words.

A completely different topic but I recognise it as one of your hobbyhorses.
                        The same drug is used in both. I find it odd people would concern themselves with convicted individuals and not minors. Also, as usual, in America does something, it's barbaric while if Europe does it, it's progressive.

However, continuing your theme of comparing men to other male animals

You are the one who brought humans being animals.

with regard to socially undesirable and/or reprehensible behaviour, why not take a further leaf from the proverbial farming book and just keep a few of the better human specimens for stud and eliminate the rest? Human society might fare better with less males around exhibiting "certain unwanted behaviour".
                        Given that humans are a social animal, especially in regard to mating, that's unlikely to work well (unless you think single motherhood works well). Also, what is considered the "better human specimen"? Liberal women are still prone to wanting traditional men yet consider traditional masculinity something to eschew as "toxic" or "problematic".

As for your incidental comment on humans and chimps, the topic of neurological differences between humans and chimps is somewhat complicated and best left for another thread.
                        You seemed ignorant as to the aggression of chimps. They are only less aggressive than humans in proportion to their cognitive abilities.

I take it also you don't known how orcas play with their food by tossing it into the air while the food is alive.
                        P1) If , then I win.

P2)

C) I win.

Comment

wow

The use of the plural implies behaviour across multiple instances. It is slovenly and also increases the emotional outrage and horror by referring to him having sex with "children" .
                          not how it works.jpeg

The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post

(I wonder about the wording on the medical forms where the individual would have to consent )
                            Wot's this thing?

Never you mind. Just put your "X" on the dotted line.

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
                            "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
                            "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post

How bout fast forwarding to your understanding of how a surgical castration agreed upon by the recipient is " medieval ".

You see, if European countries do it, it's progressive. If America does it, it's backwards. It's only medieval because it's being done one America.
                              P1) If , then I win.

P2)

C) I win.

Comment

I hardly think one reference to the fact is being hung up. . From the link I posted and read it seems more likely that Sullivan is a Hebephile or possibly an Ephebophile.
                                As if this were the only time you sought to defend a sexual assailant by declaring his sexually assaulting someone isn't technically pedophilia but rather it is "merely" hebephilia.

Where did you read that? I've looked at a few more links on the case and none of them make that comment.
                                That is the purpose of, and justification for the procedure. Do you really need for someone to tell you that before you can comprehend it?

Is that what you would do were you in his position?
                                I won't ever be in his position so I will never be forced to make such a decision, but I can understand why he might make that choice.

To repeat what I wrote to Diogenes

Hence your extolling the benefits of physical castration over chemical castration is of no interest to me.
                                Can you please show where I did anything like that? Personally, I'd be happy if that were also an option.

[sarcasm] Did you pass your bar exams?
                                Only took a hand full of law classes. Some of the most interesting classes that I ever took. Most of the other students were in law enforcement seeking promotions.

However, there are different approaches to therapy for people with these disorders.
                                Have any shown that they prevent recidivism? If not, then they're effectively useless.

Comment