Announcement

Collapse

Civics 101 Guidelines

Want to argue about politics? Healthcare reform? Taxes? Governments? You've come to the right place!

Try to keep it civil though. The rules still apply here.
See more
See less

Coronavirus Outbreak...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Total UK deaths (all causes) has recently spiked to about 50% above normal levels, and one in five linked to the new virus.

Comment

• LA Country sheriff released over 4000 inmates from prison to protect them from the China flu. Now he's concerned that it may lead to a surge in crime.

No, this is not a joke.

https://theconservativetreehouse.com...-a-crime-wave/
      Some may call me foolish, and some may call me odd
      But I'd rather be a fool in the eyes of man
      Than a fool in the eyes of God

From "Fools Gold" by Petra

Comment

• Originally posted by Mountain Man View Post
        LA Country sheriff released over 4000 inmates from prison to protect them from the China flu. Now he's concerned that it may lead to a surge in crime.

No, this is not a joke.

I think they were supposed to release the reformed (harmless) prisoners. No need to panic.

Comment

• Originally posted by firstfloor View Post
          I think they were supposed to release the reformed (harmless) prisoners. No need to panic.
          I'm sure some of them will commit a crime, and then many (most?) on the right will jump on each and every case to prove their fear was justified. It won't even matter if 99.9% of them never offend again, because that 0.1% will be 16 offenders and it will be enough to generate a cry of horror and another Brietbart expose...
          The ultimate weakness of violence is that it is a descending spiral begetting the very thing it seeks to destroy...returning violence for violence multiplies violence, adding deeper darkness to a night already devoid of stars. Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that. Martin Luther King

I would unite with anybody to do right and with nobody to do wrong. Frederick Douglas

Comment

• Originally posted by Mountain Man View Post
            LA Country sheriff released over 4000 inmates from prison to protect them from the China flu. Now he's concerned that it may lead to a surge in crime.

No, this is not a joke.

He releases them when the dictatorial scientific rule to fight it is keep everyone locked up indefinitely.

Comment

• Originally posted by seanD View Post
              He releases them when the dictatorial scientific rule to fight it is keep everyone locked up indefinitely.
              Ummm...I don't get your confusion. We know there is a problem with many people in close quarters, like nursing homes, hospice care, schools, and prisons. We release nonviolent inmates from prison for the same reason we send college students home from dorms. It's not like a prison is designed with spacious accommodations to keep people separated from each other. Cells house multiple inmates, inmates need to get food in common areas (unless you are suggesting revising the prison to deliver meals to inmates?) and so forth. Thinning the population by releasing the nonviolent offenders makes perfect sense.

Not to mention we'll save a fortune on housing and feeding them...
              The ultimate weakness of violence is that it is a descending spiral begetting the very thing it seeks to destroy...returning violence for violence multiplies violence, adding deeper darkness to a night already devoid of stars. Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that. Martin Luther King

I would unite with anybody to do right and with nobody to do wrong. Frederick Douglas

Comment

• Originally posted by carpedm9587 View Post
                Ummm...I don't get your confusion. We know there is a problem with many people in close quarters, like nursing homes, hospice care, schools, and prisons. We release nonviolent inmates from prison for the same reason we send college students home from dorms. It's not like a prison is designed with spacious accommodations to keep people separated from each other. Cells house multiple inmates, inmates need to get food in common areas (unless you are suggesting revising the prison to deliver meals to inmates?) and so forth. Thinning the population by releasing the nonviolent offenders makes perfect sense.

Not to mention we'll save a fortune on housing and feeding them...
                Did they test all 4k inmates for the virus before they released them into the public to run wild? You and I both no that's a negative. So shadup.

Comment

Did they test all 4k inmates for the virus before they released them into the public to run wild? You and I both no that's a negative. So shadup.
                  I would presume the answer to that would differ from prison to prison, but mostly it would be "no." But then I doubt they tested students before they sent them home either. I am not even sure that nursing homes and hospices are doing extensive testing before they relocate their residents. At best, I'd guess they are checking for fever.

Again - I see no inconsistency or need for confusion or concern.

Comment

I would presume the answer to that would differ from prison to prison, but mostly it would be "no." But then I doubt they tested students before they sent them home either. I am not even sure that nursing homes and hospices are doing extensive testing before they relocate their residents. At best, I'd guess they are checking for fever.

Yeah, let's equate inmates to students and patients. We're all concerned about human life, but allowing inmates (who will likely not follow the distancing protocol) to spread a virus in the public (and will probably even commit more crimes on top of that) is not the same scenario as students and patients. It's not even in the same ballpark. Dude, just shut up, seriously.

Comment

• This is absolutely stunning to me. This article is about how NYC is adjusting its death count to include many who are believed to have died of the coronavirus without a test being administered (based on medical history and symptomology). What is stunning is the map halfway down the article, which divides the NYC area by zip code and reports infections and the current testing data. I could not find a single zip code that was reporting less than 25% of tested cases being positive, and it ranges from there all the way up to almost 80% of tests evaluated as positive.

If those numbers are extrapolated to the general population, the actual number of infected individuals is mind-boggling and the published numbers are just the tip of the iceberg. It would be nice if all states had such a comprehensive testing program in place so we could have a better picture of what is going on. Alas, testing kits are STILL in short supply.

Comment

Yeah, let's equate inmates to students and patients. We're all concerned about human life, but allowing inmates (who will likely not follow the distancing protocol) to spread a virus in the public (and will probably even commit more crimes on top of that) is not the same scenario as students and patients. It's not even in the same ballpark. Dude, just shut up, seriously.
                        As previously noted, the inmates released were the non-violent ones. I'm not particularly concerned. The alternative was to almost guarantee a prison-wide infection with all of the resources that would have taken to deal with. What they are going to do when released is entirely speculation on your part - based on nothing but fear and a pre-existing bias. I'll say like FF - no need to panic. Relax... Have a decaf...

Comment

• Originally posted by dirtfloor View Post
                          Obviously not if the sheriff is having second thoughts about the wisdom of his decision.
                          Some may call me foolish, and some may call me odd
                          But I'd rather be a fool in the eyes of man
                          Than a fool in the eyes of God

From "Fools Gold" by Petra

Comment

As previously noted, the inmates released were the non-violent ones. I'm not particularly concerned. The alternative was to almost guarantee a prison-wide infection with all of the resources that would have taken to deal with. What they are going to do when released is entirely speculation on your part - based on nothing but fear and a pre-existing bias. I'll say like FF - no need to panic. Relax... Have a decaf...
                            No one's panicking, I just made an assessment. And then you replied to that assessment with some delusional spiel by comparing students and elderly folks to inmates that made no logical sense. And, in case you missed it, even the sheriff himself disagrees with you about their propensity to commit crimes.

Comment

No - there is indeed a need for concern. This isn't "it's good", nor is it necessarily "it's bad".

IF there is already an invasion of the virus into the prison, then letting them loose sends the virus into the community. They are in prison, so they've demonstrated they are willing to break the law. Why do you then suppose they will observe "stay in place" restrictions? So they are likely carriers of the virus, and they are likely not to follow the stay at home orders. Non violent offenders often means drug use - but that means risky practices in terms of disease, except perhaps smoking a certain weed. They are therefore on average a greater risk to the general public than others both in terms of the potential to commit crime, and in terms of the potential to infect others with disease.

OTOH, if they are confined to the prison and there is a COVID outbreak, then they are subject to significantly increased risk of infection, and the 1 or 2% mortality that goes with it. So by holding them in prison we are greatly increasing their risk wrt COVID-19. And the question is does their crime, whatever it is, warrant subjecting them to that increased risk.

I tend to come down on the side of you protect the law abiding public before those that have broken the law and found themselves in prison. It could be that they are putting ankle monitors on all of them with very strictly enforced guidelines that if broken will land them back in jail. Hopefully they are doing something like that. And perhaps they are there because they failed to pay their taxes, which overall doesn't really mean they are a risk to the public wrt the factors I'm mentioned. But in general there is a risk to the general population in letting them out without some sort of fairly rigorous monitoring of their activities. So it's nothing to just shrug off, even if ultimately it's the right thing to do.
                              My brethren, do not hold your faith in our glorious Lord Jesus Christ with an attitude of personal favoritism. James 2:1

If anyone thinks himself to be religious, and yet does not  bridle his tongue but deceives his own heart, this man’s religion is worthless James 1:26

This you know, my beloved brethren. But everyone must be quick to hear, slow to speak and slow to anger; James 1:19

Comment

No one's panicking, I just made an assessment. And then you replied to that assessment with some delusional spiel by comparing students and elderly folks to inmates that made no logical sense. And, in case you missed it, even the sheriff himself disagrees with you about their propensity to commit crimes.
                                I read the article. First, the article is on Conservative Tree House and the reporter who apparently interviewed the Sheriff is a Fox News reporter, so your "skewed reporting" radar should be on full alert. The sheriff did nothing more than express concern about a possible spike in crimes. I'm sure the choice was not an easy one. Keep them in jail and he almost certainly dooms them to contracting an infectious disease with all of the accompanying costs, complexity, deaths, and reaction from those on the left about inhumane conditions. Release them and he is taking a chance on some of them committing crimes (pretty much inevitable that at least one of the 4K+ will do that) and the accompanying outrage from the right. I wouldn't want his job. IMO, he made the best call he could, erring on the side of compassion with a side of trust.

As for the comparison, I explained it and it makes perfect sense: both situations involve people in close proximity where viruses can quickly spread. No other parallel was implied.

As my brother would say, "Chilax, dude. All will be well, all will be well, and all manner of things will be well."

Comment