Announcement

Collapse

Civics 101 Guidelines

Want to argue about politics? Healthcare reform? Taxes? Governments? You've come to the right place!

Try to keep it civil though. The rules still apply here.
See more
See less

Christianity Today Op Ed

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 😪

What's my plan, exactly?

Comment

• Also, "Richest 1,409 taxpayers pay more income tax than bottom 70Mln".
      Some may call me foolish, and some may call me odd
      But I'd rather be a fool in the eyes of man
      Than a fool in the eyes of God

From "Fools Gold" by Petra

Comment

• Some may call me foolish, and some may call me odd

Comment

• Did you miss my reply to you MM?

Also, considering that the median income is 31k and the mean is 48k all this talk about how much the richest people pay is a bit baffling to me. I'm just "ok, yeah, so what?" because it doesn't really interact with anything I said, you know? Plus, highlighting just one kind of taxes over a the other taxes and fees is a huge red flag and you gotta know I'm not going to take that all that seriously, right?

Comment

• Originally posted by Jaecp View Post
            Did you miss my reply to you MM?

Also, considering that the median income is 31k and the mean is 48k all this talk about how much the richest people pay is a bit baffling to me. I'm just "ok, yeah, so what?" because it doesn't really interact with anything I said, you know? Plus, highlighting just one kind of taxes over a the other taxes and fees is a huge red flag and you gotta know I'm not going to take that all that seriously, right?
            Those are aggregate numbers, Jae. The equation takes a number of factors into consideration. It's not the most complex such calculation, since it doesn't show the negative numbers.
            "He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep to gain that which he cannot lose." - Jim Elliot

"Forgiveness is the way of love." Gary Chapman

My Personal Blog

My Novella blog (Current Novella Begins on 7/25/14)

Quill Sword

Comment

😪

What's my plan, exactly?
              Your words:

Originally posted by Jaecp View Post
              Yeah, like, imagine if we had a special prosecutor whose job was to go after the rich people who are obviously evading taxes?

We'd be able to pay for so many social programs and it's get around the defunding of the IRS
              "The man from the yacht thought he was the first to find England; I thought I was the first to find Europe. I did try to found a heresy of my own; and when I had put the last touches to it, I discovered that it was orthodoxy."
              GK Chesterton; Orthodoxy

Comment

• Originally posted by Teallaura View Post
                Those are aggregate numbers, Jae. The equation takes a number of factors into consideration. It's not the most complex such calculation, since it doesn't show the negative numbers.
                I mean, it's still all federal. Link says it's federal income tax. It doesn't take into account state and local taxes or predictable yearly fees like car tabs; it's adjacent to my point because the sum total of how much is paid isn't particularly relevant to the point that these folks are cheating on their taxes. The concentration of wealth is a big issue

And yeah those negative numbers are a doozy. That companies like Amazon or GE can pay zero in federal taxes while even getting refunds is evident of a system heavily favoring one part of our economy over others and I have an issue with that.
                Last edited by Jaecp; 12-31-2019, 08:27 PM.

Comment

• Originally posted by lilpixieofterror View Post
                  Your words:
                  Yep, maybe you should respond to them at some point?

Comment

Yep, maybe you should respond to them at some point?
                    "The man from the yacht thought he was the first to find England; I thought I was the first to find Europe. I did try to found a heresy of my own; and when I had put the last touches to it, I discovered that it was orthodoxy."
                    GK Chesterton; Orthodoxy

Comment

• 😂😂😂

Comment

So long as capital can influence policy a flat tax will never end up benefiting you or I in the long run.

The better course of action is to, taking a peg out of the NRA's playbook, is to enforce the laws we have now. A lot of money is left on the table because the rich and powerful actively cheat the system for their own benefit and at the expense of both you and I, MM.

Even if there was a flat tax that worked as intended, that ends up just being a massive giveaway to the people that are already in a very good place while raising taxes on the people at the bottom of society. Progressive taxation is important because so long as democracy is for sale nobody should be rich enough to buy it outright.
                        The bold is false considering that the top 10% of wage earners pay more taxes than the bottom 90%. If we're talking about everybody paying their fair share then those in the lower tax brackets should be paying more!
                        Some may call me foolish, and some may call me odd

Comment

• Originally posted by Mountain Man View Post
                          The bold is false considering that the top 10% of wage earners pay more taxes than the bottom 90%. If we're talking about everybody paying their fair share then those in the lower tax brackets should be paying more!
                          No, the bold is not false. A billionaire paying more than you or I in taxes is a completely seperate issue than if they are cheating on their taxes, again, the Panama papers, MM.

Comment

😂😂😂
                            GK Chesterton; Orthodoxy

Comment

No, the bold is not false. A billionaire paying more than you or I in taxes is a completely seperate issue than if they are cheating on their taxes, again, the Panama papers, MM.
                              GK Chesterton; Orthodoxy

Comment

• 😂🤣😪😪😪

You've been misrepresenting my words from the start so if you want a conversation rewind to the first thing you quoted and then respond to my *actual* ideas we can talk, but otherwise I'm just going to giggle over how little you've changed in 10 years

Comment