Announcement

Collapse

Civics 101 Guidelines

Want to argue about politics? Healthcare reform? Taxes? Governments? You've come to the right place!

Try to keep it civil though. The rules still apply here.
See more
See less

Christianity Today Op Ed

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Jaecp View Post
    😂🤣😪😪😪

You've been misrepresenting my words from the start so if you want a conversation rewind to the first thing you quoted and then respond to my *actual* ideas we can talk, but otherwise I'm just going to giggle over how little you've changed in 10 years
    Last edited by lilpixieofterror; 12-31-2019, 09:26 PM.
    "The man from the yacht thought he was the first to find England; I thought I was the first to find Europe. I did try to found a heresy of my own; and when I had put the last touches to it, I discovered that it was orthodoxy."
    GK Chesterton; Orthodoxy

Comment

• 🤔🤔🤔🙄🙄🙄😂😂😂

Comment

🤔🤔🤔🙄🙄🙄😂😂😂
        "The man from the yacht thought he was the first to find England; I thought I was the first to find Europe. I did try to found a heresy of my own; and when I had put the last touches to it, I discovered that it was orthodoxy."
        GK Chesterton; Orthodoxy

Comment

No, the bold is not false. A billionaire paying more than you or I in taxes is a completely seperate issue than if they are cheating on their taxes, again, the Panama papers, MM.
          People in every tax bracket cheat, not just the rich, and not all the rich, so cracking down on the rich isn't going to bring the windfall you imagine. According to this site, investigations based on the Panama Papers have recovered $1.2 billion world wide. On a global scale, that's not a drop in a bucket, it's a drop in an ocean.
          Some may call me foolish, and some may call me odd
          But I'd rather be a fool in the eyes of man
          Than a fool in the eyes of God

From "Fools Gold" by Petra

Comment

• Originally posted by Mountain Man View Post
            People in every tax bracket cheat, not just the rich, and not all the rich, so cracking down on the rich isn't going to bring the windfall you imagine. According to this site, investigations based on the Panama Papers have recovered $1.2 billion world wide. On a global scale, that's not a drop in a bucket, it's a drop in an ocean.
            People at the top have a lot to cheat than someone making 30k a year and, for average people, taxes are harder to avoid. It actually gets easier to not pay taxes as you get richer. Unfortunately, it's also a lot easier to audit average people, too.

Also, it's 1.6 billion now. That articles from over 6 months ago and thats the website I linked to man :p

What's in the Panama Papers is just one of many many many ways the world's economic elite cheat the system. Also, you're looking at the wrong number. That 1.6B figure is just what's been recovered and not all that will be recovered. Did you look at the articles that describe how much has been stashed? It's astronomical.

Honestly, I'm confused why you're defending lawbreakers on the basis that what we've managed to return to the treasuries isn't bigger.

Comment

Honestly, I'm confused why you're defending lawbreakers on the basis that what we've managed to return to the treasuries isn't bigger.
              Burn, straw man, burn!

I'm not defending lawbreakers, you dunce, I'm challenging your premise that making the rich pay their "fair share" (when they're already paying far more than anyone else) will give us all the money we need to implement every item on your social engineering wishlist. It won't. The only realistic way for governments to balance their books is to spend less, not try to tax more.

Comment

• Eh? But you are defending them. You're saying it's not a big deal or that it doesn't matter or that it can't fund my policy ideas or whatever.

That's playing defense for them whether you want to think of it like that or not

Comment

• If it offends you so, no biggie, I'll remove the part that offended you

Originally posted by Mountain Man View Post
                  People at the top have a lot more to cheat than someone making 30k a year and, for average people, taxes are harder to avoid. It actually gets easier to not pay taxes as you get richer. Unfortunately, it's also a lot easier to audit average people, too.

Also, it's 1.6 billion now. That articles from over 6 months ago and thats the website I linked to man :p

What's in the Panama Papers is just one of many many many ways the world's economic elite cheat the system. Also, you're looking at the wrong number. That 1.6B figure is just what's been recovered and not all that will be recovered. Did you look at the articles that describe how much has been stashed? It's astronomical.

Comment

Did you look at the articles that describe how much has been stashed? It's astronomical.
                    "Astronomical" as a raw figure, but as a percentage of the world's wealth, it's negligible. Sure, enforce the law, make the rich pay their "fair share" (even though they're paying the lion's share already), but if you think it's going to be anywhere near enough to fund your social program wishlist then you're delusional.

Comment

• Originally posted by Mountain Man View Post
                      "Astronomical" as a raw figure, but as a percentage of the world's wealth, it's negligible. Sure, enforce the law, make the rich pay their "fair share" (even though they're paying the lion's share already), but if you think it's going to be anywhere near enough to fund your social program wishlist then you're delusional.
                      Why are you so stuck on the funding part? Robert Mueller made the US Treasury 12ish million dollars as part of his investigation. Imagine if we had more of that? That was my whole post. I think you've got some weird ideas because you've been reading Crystals weird misrepresentations of my first post.

If we actually stopped the Panama stuff, like finger snap, that's like 70 billion a year to the treasury. Just from the stuff in Panama, just for the US. You keep saying it's a drop in the bucket, but why does that part matter? It's not a drop in the bucket, first of all. You're trying very hard to act like 10s of billions of dollars is somehow irrelevant when that is money that should be used on infrastructure and the like

Also, dude, them paying their taxes is fair. It's the law. Their taxes are lower than they have been in their entire lives and these people are *still* cheating on their taxes. The will never stop cheating on their taxes until we actually punish them for cheating the system to the tune of billions of billions of dollars. Like, you gonna come in and say that it's irrelevant because 70 billion is only 1.5% of the federal budget? Please don't.

The real thing that's gonna pay for social programs is going to be a wealth tax on fortunes above 30 million. I'm not going to debate this part as it's just so you stop saying something I don't believe, k?
                      Last edited by Jaecp; 12-31-2019, 11:33 PM.

Comment

• Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post

It's disgustingly dishonest of the Democrats to pretend they've done things decently and in order when they, in fact, have run an incredibly partisan sham.
                        And you're incredibly naive if you think Trump won't spin it that way.
                        The whole thing is a political sham.

Comment

• Originally posted by lilpixieofterror View Post
                          https://taxfoundation.org/summary-la...a-2018-update/

The rich pay the majority of our taxes already.
                          In 2017

Conversely 45.3% pay absolutely no income taxes.

I'm always still in trouble again

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
                          "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
                          "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

• That would obviously be the view of those who are hopelessly encapsulated in the liberal bubble.

Well, the Democrats shouldn't have been so feckless as to mount a sham 'investigation' then be too cowardly to advance their shoddy 'work product' to the jury.

By corrupt bitterly partisan clowns.
                            The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

• Originally posted by rogue06 View Post
                              In 2017

Conversely 45.3% pay absolutely no income taxes.
                              If that is true, then that would imply nearly half the nation lives in poverty, or there are a large number of people cheating or otherwise finding sufficient loopholes to avoid paying taces.
                              My brethren, do not hold your faith in our glorious Lord Jesus Christ with an attitude of personal favoritism. James 2:1

If anyone thinks himself to be religious, and yet does not  bridle his tongue but deceives his own heart, this man’s religion is worthless James 1:26

This you know, my beloved brethren. But everyone must be quick to hear, slow to speak and slow to anger; James 1:19

Comment

• Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post
                                That would obviously be the view of those who are hopelessly encapsulated in the liberal bubble.

Well, the Democrats shouldn't have been so feckless as to mount a sham 'investigation' then be too cowardly to advance their shoddy 'work product' to the jury.

By corrupt bitterly partisan clowns.
                                There is no legitimate reason for anyone to believe the presideht was not strong arming Ukraine in an abuse of power. So the only debate revolves around is that act itself impeachable. There is little reason to believe it is not. That sort of action is at the heart of the purpose in having a provision for impeachment. And so the claim this is purely a partisan pursuit is simply false.

Otoh, the abandonment of their constitutional responsibility to understand what the truth is and act impartially on that truth IS wholly partisan, and puts our entire system of checks and balances at risk of being made nothing more than a farce, subsumed by the lust for power that grips the entire Republican party at this moment for sure, and quite possibly the whole of the government.

We are at the point where the will of the people no longer understands why our government is as it is. They think they'd rather have a King than a Constitutional republic.
                                Last edited by oxmixmudd; 01-01-2020, 11:47 AM.
                                My brethren, do not hold your faith in our glorious Lord Jesus Christ with an attitude of personal favoritism. James 2:1

If anyone thinks himself to be religious, and yet does not  bridle his tongue but deceives his own heart, this man’s religion is worthless James 1:26

This you know, my beloved brethren. But everyone must be quick to hear, slow to speak and slow to anger; James 1:19

Comment