Announcement

Collapse

Civics 101 Guidelines

Want to argue about politics? Healthcare reform? Taxes? Governments? You've come to the right place!

Try to keep it civil though. The rules still apply here.
See more
See less

Christianity Today Op Ed

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Mountain Man View Post
    The precedent for this is Ken Starr who stated unequivocally that Bill Clinton broke the law. There was nothing to stop Mueller from the doing the same, if he really believed he had a case.
    It's not the special prosecutors responsibility to to state whether or not a law was broken. That is the job of the House, it's called "impeachment."
    To make matters worse, Mueller is a baldfaced hypocrite, claiming that he didn't want to say that the President was guilty of a crime because of "reasons", but then he included the "can not exonerate" disclaimer which deliberately implies, "Yeah, he's totally guilty."
    That again is exactly what Mueller is supposed to do. He gathers evidence, the House decides whether the evidence is worthy of going to trial over, and the Senate decides guilt or innocence.
    What a stand-up guy.
    Exactly, he kept his personal opinion to himself leaving the rest in the hands of congress where it belongs.

And btw, Ken Starrs conclusion was not so much different than Muellers. In his report he said "That there is credible evidence that Clinton may have commited acts that are impeachable," not that they were impeachable, but that they might be. Mueller, obviously less of a political hack than Starr, remained silent regarding conlusions, due to his more ethical stance and informed understanding of the impeachment process according to the constitution and the OLC rules. Mueller left the determination as to whether to impeach or not, according to the evidence to be found in his report, in the hands of congress where it belongs.
    Last edited by JimL; 12-30-2019, 05:32 PM.

Comment

• Originally posted by JimLamebrain View Post
      It's not the special prosecutors responsibility to to state whether or not a law was broken.

What do you think it is a prosecutor does, exactly?
      Some may call me foolish, and some may call me odd
      But I'd rather be a fool in the eyes of man
      Than a fool in the eyes of God

From "Fools Gold" by Petra

Comment

What do you think it is a prosecutor does, exactly?
        Special Prosecutor, MM, Special Prosecutor, which is really more aptly titled a Special Council, not a prosecutor. A Special Council is an investigator, not a prosecutor. The Prosecutors role in the case of a sitting President resides in Congress.

Comment

• Right... and his "counsel" to Congress was "I can't say he committed a crime, but I can't say he didn't commit a crime."

We really got our $30 million dollars worth, didn't we?

Comment

Right... and his "counsel" to Congress was "I can't say he committed a crime, but I can't say he didn't commit a crime."

The forfeitures from Manafort alone total over $35 million.

--Sam
            "I wonder about the trees. / Why do we wish to bear / Forever the noise of these / More than another noise / Robert Frost, "The Sound of Trees"

Comment

Right... and his "counsel" to Congress was "I can't say he committed a crime, but I can't say he didn't commit a crime."
              Again, that's correct, the Special Council doesn't indict, the House does. It's called "Impeachment."
              Yes we did, unfortunately his toadie and personal protecter, the Atty Gen., swept it under the rug like any good defense attorney would do. Actually it didn't cost the taxpayers a dime, in fact more monies were recouped from those prosecuted due to the investigation than the Trump/Putin collusion investigation cost. Certainly did get our monies worth!

Comment

• Originally posted by Sam View Post
                The forfeitures from Manafort alone total over $35 million.

--Sam
                Didn't Mueller return 12 million more dollars to the treasury than he cost?

Comment

• Originally posted by Jaecp View Post
                  Didn't Mueller return 12 million more dollars to the treasury than he cost?
                  Not sure what's been forfeited, which assets sold, etc. but the revenue recovered from Manafort's numerous convictions is in the area of $36-$42 million, I believe, yes.

--Sam
                  "I wonder about the trees. / Why do we wish to bear / Forever the noise of these / More than another noise / Robert Frost, "The Sound of Trees"

Comment

• Yeah, like, imagine if we had a special prosecutor whose job was to go after the rich people who are obviously evading taxes?

We'd be able to pay for so many social programs and it's get around the defunding of the IRS

Comment

• Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post
                      How DARE you agree with me agreeing with Sam, you... you.... you.... CAD!!!!
                      Yeah, McConnel and Graham are just a lot more honest about it.
                      https://time.com/5754646/impeachment-senate-trial/

Comment

• That remains to be seen.

So, your argument is that is refreshingly honest for the Senate Trial to be a farce with the conclusion already decided in advance by those in charge of the trial being in regular consultation with the accused.
                        Well, that might be the perverted drama queen version, but in the inverse is true. It's disgustingly dishonest of the Democrats to pretend they've done things decently and in order when they, in fact, have run an incredibly partisan sham.

And you're incredibly naive if you think Trump won't spin it that way. The whole thing is a political sham.
                        The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

Yeah, like, imagine if we had a special prosecutor whose job was to go after the rich people who are obviously evading taxes?

We'd be able to pay for so many social programs and it's get around the defunding of the IRS
                          "The man from the yacht thought he was the first to find England; I thought I was the first to find Europe. I did try to found a heresy of my own; and when I had put the last touches to it, I discovered that it was orthodoxy."
                          GK Chesterton; Orthodoxy

Comment

• Educate yourself

https://www.icij.org/investigations/panama-papers/

Dream a little higher

Comment

• Especially because rich people won't just sit there and let the government take their money. Like when New York tried to close a budget hole by raising taxes on the wealthy. In response, the wealthy moved out of state taking their money with them, and the next year, the budget hole was even bigger.

Comment

Educate yourself

https://www.icij.org/investigations/panama-papers/

Dream a little higher
                                Last edited by lilpixieofterror; 12-31-2019, 02:48 PM.
                                "The man from the yacht thought he was the first to find England; I thought I was the first to find Europe. I did try to found a heresy of my own; and when I had put the last touches to it, I discovered that it was orthodoxy."
                                GK Chesterton; Orthodoxy

Comment